'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Least amount of WORK?????????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-03 4:33 PM
15 replies, 5312 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

4manyhorses
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 6:36 PM (#86785)
Subject: Least amount of WORK?????????

New User

WOE is me!!! Hubby hates camping. Sold little RV to avoid taking two rigs and bought the only thing we could afford, a 4 horse w/ crowded home-made weekend pkg. It has a hydraulic lift which he loves, but he hates the small space and and the A/C blowing right on the bed. Not only that, but it's 30 ft. (we do need to haul 4 horses) and he doesn't trust me driving it! So, the discussion has been to sell it and buy a truck camper and a 4 horse BP. I say we will have LESS storage space...AND I don't know the ins and outs of putting an extension hitch if the truck camper extends beyond the truck (it's a dually.) Whatever we do, it needs to be MINIMAL WORK for him...or I'm going by myself!!! He griped and groaned about the setup of the small RV. He's still griping. Will he like a truck camper or not?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-02 7:12 PM (#86787 - in reply to #86785)
Subject: RE: Least amount of WORK?????????

Expert

I don't see that as being less work.  You must have a fair sized truck already.  Good luck, donchya dread griping?!
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 7:13 PM (#86788 - in reply to #86785)

Extreme Veteran

If he doesn't like camping, nothing you buy will stop the complaining.  You might be better off to just go camping by yourself and let him do something he enjoys.
karynzoo
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 7:49 PM (#86791 - in reply to #86785)

Regular

Once you get past 25' what's an extra few feet in the pulling?  I say do some practicing with the rig hooked up, get comfortable and keep what you have.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-02 8:17 PM (#86792 - in reply to #86785)

Expert

We owned several campers, almost dumped one while loading. They're a pain to load and off load. Truck feels top heavy in a side wind, you'll probably need some sort of supplementary springs. A large BP trailer puts quite a load on the truck's back end. Combined with a camper, it can be extensive. Once the camper is loaded, hooking up the trailer is a two person event.

We switched to LQ trailers and haven't looked back. Stability issues are non existent, one person hook up, better mileage, life is simpler this way. Now we would only consider a truck camper if we only camped without the horses.

Gard

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-07-02 9:33 PM (#86795 - in reply to #86792)

Expert

you should know how to drive the rig just in case something happens to you husband  and he can not drive keep what you have it is easer then two thing to make you go crazy
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-07-02 10:20 PM (#86798 - in reply to #86785)

Elite Veteran

4ManyHorses, Stay with the LQ that you have. Hauling 4 horses with a camper will be a pain not to mention instability as others have said. I've seen RVs pulling 2 horse trailers without much issue, a camper and 4 horses seems to dangerous to me... especially when trying to stop. And a truck camper is tight quarters too. And you'll have even less storage space, unless you get an 8 foot wide BP with manger storage and DR and those cost about as much as a gooseneck.

Why do you haul 4 horses. Does he like to ride, but not do any of the work? Are you taking kids too? I'd find some other folks that share your interest. Check out local horse clubs etc. I'm fortunate that my hubby likes to ride and camp. But I enjoy going with just girls too.You'll be much happier going with out him and he'll be happier staying at home.

BTW - I learned to drive our LQ which is 32 feet long. Just go slow and use those mirrors when turning. I can even back up into spaces now! Just practice and you'll be fine.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 8:03 AM (#86804 - in reply to #86785)

Veteran

Camping IS work!  When you take horses it becomes even more work!  To me it's the work that makes it fun....but anyhow...

Speaking from experience, don't get the truck camper.  I had the stable lift system to level and load mine which made it better (for the pricetag of 2 grand+).   If you get a TC you won't be able to use the bed of your truck, your truck won't feel as stable driving down the road, you run the very good risk of messing up a fender or your bed every time you load it.  Storage is MINIMAL. Not only that but any TC worth a hoot hangs over your bed by at least 2-3 feet.  I had a tongue extension made for my trailer, but you will likely be looking at getting the torklift superhitch ($700 ++) to allow for the extra space between truck camper and horse trailer for turning. Truck campers are hard to get into, the steps are unstable, and I've fallen out several times. There wasn't even alcohol involved.  There were just too many hitch points and connections that I was always worried something would give way and there would be a disaster.  Keep your trailer, get a new husband.  Just kidding.  I'd tell him to suck it up or stay at home.  As far as you driving the big trailer, I'm just this tiny little gal with experience only hauling a truck camper and 4 horse BP, and I'm driving a 30 foot GN trailer. It takes some getting used to, do some practice and you'll love it.  Don't trade it in!  You'll be backing into places you never knew you could!  If I can do it, anybody can.   Just remember, mirrors when properly adjusted, are your best friends.

Amanda

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 8:08 AM (#86805 - in reply to #86785)

Veteran

I forgot to add....regarding the AC blowing right into the bed, if your AC unit does not have directional vents (like in your car) to point the airflow away from the bed, perhaps you could install some sort of a baffle on the ceiling to stop the wind flow from blasting directly at the bed.  On my trailer the bathroom is up front, and you have to go upstairs around behind the bathroom to get to the bunk.  The AC doesn't blow up there....  It can get hot!  I think I'd trade you situations!  I love being all cool and snuggling up under the blankets even in the summer.

Amanda

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 8:46 AM (#86811 - in reply to #86804)

Originally written by Angelmay84 on 2008-07-03 8:03 AM

There wasn't even alcohol involved.

Now that's funny!

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-07-03 9:10 AM (#86812 - in reply to #86785)

Veteran

I have "non camping, non horse show husband" as well. First, to keep peace, keep what you have and learn to drive it yourself. You CAN DO IT! By doing so, you avoid a lot of stress on your marriage. I do everything myself and just pack a nice "cooler" for him if he does come with me. Also, I find that the less I talk about it (any horse issue that is) the less he fusses. I don't mean keep info from him, but, well.... (Sorry for this guys! But men are men, spend time with him before the horse show or camping trip! LOL! And if all else fails, you can have a rip-snorting hissy fit, tears and all, and use my moto "it's cheaper than a divorce or therapy! (Although, my wonderful hubby is starting to question that!) Now, go hook up, find the big parking lot and practice, practice, practice ~ empty, that is! Happy driving!
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-03 9:41 AM (#86813 - in reply to #86812)

Veteran

I find that the less I talk about it (any horse issue that is) the less he fusses.

This is the truth with my hubby to. He loves the horses and camping but when it comes to some other things the less I talk about it and remind him about it, the happier and the less whiny he is.

You should know how to drive and be comfortable with your rig. Shortly after we got the Bison and the dually (which has a manual transmission), my husband broken several bones his hand while helping someone else load a bad horse in the dark (we were leaving at the last minute). It was his right hand (shifting hand) and so he couldn't drive (or it would have been very uncomfortable). That would not have been the time to learn how to pull the rig and I was thankful I had insisted on pulling it multiple times before that day.

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 10:14 AM (#86817 - in reply to #86813)

Shoot, I had been pulling my trailer for several years before I realized that husbands would and could!  

It's funny how once you proved that you can do something, they are so there!

Edited by kentuckyrain 2008-07-03 10:17 AM
4manyhorses
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 11:46 AM (#86823 - in reply to #86785)

New User

Thank you all for the info. I guess I won't be looking for a truck camper. I think I'll just sneak off and practice driving the big rig by myself. He's tried to instruct me before, but he gets all keyed up, barking orders and makes me a nervous wreck.
2bitnag
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 1:17 PM (#86827 - in reply to #86823)

Prehaps better training ( sorry guys no flaming!)  but my hubby doesn't drive my truck and trailer.  I have a 3-H with LQ and can put it darn near anywhere.  I went to a horsey deal one weekend and found out when I pulled into the parking lot that some dumb a** had blocked the fire exit and had to back my 30 foot trailer about 400 yards to get out.  Any ways my DH automatically gets in the passenger side unless I ask him to drive!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-07-03 4:33 PM (#86836 - in reply to #86827)

Expert

Any ways my DH automatically gets in the passenger side unless I ask him to drive!

Mine does the same thing.  I can count on one had the number of times he has driven my truck.  And ALL of those times were going through the mountians with HIS 5th wheel.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)