'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Door Sticker Tire PSI

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-01 4:46 PM
3 replies, 3296 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-01 3:31 PM (#86738)
Subject: Door Sticker Tire PSI

Veteran

So I went to the dealership to have my tires rotated on my dually.  They asked how I liked them.  I said just fine, but I was disappointed that they only put 65psi in them all around when I bought them and had them installed earlier this year.   They're 10ply load range E rated at 80psi.  They went by the door sticker.  Now, it seems to me, based on all that I've learned here, that tires should be inflated to their max psi for the utmost safety and longevity of the tire. Or is that only for trailers? Going 15psi under the tire's rating doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  Did I sound like a dummy telling them that the tires should have had more air?  Should I run a tire rated for 80psi at 65 in the duals? Yes, 75-80 makes a rougher ride, but I don't own a truck for luxury.  Should I deflate my tires some?  My trailer is VERY heavy, and I am afraid that if the duals have 65psi the sidewalls may be closer together than I'd like to see. Advice?

Amanda

PS: They told me that my rear differential was leaking.  I checked the fluid on Saturday, and today (tuesday) they said it was leaking and needed welded.  The fluid was still full. Now, I told them that if it was leaking, it must have started suddenly.  I check these things....then all at once several guys are investigating my differential and one says that it's not leaking from where they said it was. There was fluid around the plug, and perhaps it was not tightened down from my checking the fluid level. It looks to me like they smeared it so it looked like it was leaking. I had them clean it good with brake kleen and I said I'd watch it. It looked like the fluid was coming out of the right side of the differential, where the axle goes in. A man with a flashlight said it's not leaking from there.  How'd the fluid get up there then?  It seems awful fishey to me. This is from a reputable dealership.  

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-07-01 3:55 PM (#86739 - in reply to #86738)
Subject: RE: Door Sticker Tire PSI

Expert

Tire psi has been hashed, re-hashed, argued, discussed and cried over numerous times.  The short story is the door sticker IS sufficient for the axle rating.....it has to be by LAW.  I will assume youre not overloading your rear axle.

Now, some people are under the impression running tires at the max make them run cooler and somehow increases safety.  Tires have an operating temp just like an engine, unless the tire is 'overheating' there is little to no advantage to running them over the door sticker.  On my Dmax the rear axles specs 80 psi, I run 60 psi.  I have been to the scales, used the load/inflation charts and have checked tire temp during use.......wonder of wonders it was right in the middle of the operating range (about 30 degrees above ambient). 

Over inflating (sidewall max) your tires wont necessarily hurt anything, but will cause premature tire wear, lack of traction during braking, and may damage suspension components.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Inflation.html

I would just keep an eye on the rear end, wind can blow a "weeping" leak all over the place. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-07-01 4:34 PM (#86742 - in reply to #86738)

Expert

As I remember the thread... Max tire pressure was recommended for trailer tires.  Since the trailer tires don't drive or steer, the max pressure adds to the tire life and fuel economy of the tow vehicle.

For the tow vehicle, follow the manufacturer's recomendation for tire pressure.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-01 4:46 PM (#86743 - in reply to #86738)

Expert

A Chad says, this issue has been repeated many times with proponents in each camp. One thing that was not mentioned in this thread, was the usage of less than a maximum tire pressure rating whenever dual tires are used. The tires have a lower recommended maximum pressure when used in a dual configuration, than the higher pressure when the same tire is used in a single wheel set up.

At the web sites for various tire manufacturers, you will find that the tire load ratings are stated by the manufacturer at their maximum recommended tire pressure. This is what is stamped on the sidewall, not the door jamb.

A while ago, I was checking the undercarriage of my truck, and found fluid seepage on the rear differential. When I cleaned and wiped down the area to pinpoint the leaking spot, I was surprised to find it originating from the surface of the differential cover plate.

The cover plate had actually rusted from the outside in, sufficient to cause a leak. When I posted my finding in this forum, through other threads, I found this was a common problem that also included engine oil pans. I've been around mechanical items all my adult life and have never seen this happen. Quite a surprise.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-07-01 5:00 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World