'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Porta pottty

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-01 8:54 AM
11 replies, 5235 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

paintcrazytexan
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-28 12:15 PM (#86555)
Subject: Porta pottty

Regular

Hi, I have tried to search the post for this but no luck. Puddin head disease.  I am looking for recommendations on porta potties for my trailer.  I have a shower but no toilet.  I need something I can take in and out thats good quality and easy to clean. Any one out there with brands and complaints or praises?  Thanks, Lynn
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-28 2:11 PM (#86561 - in reply to #86555)
Subject: RE: Porta pottty

Expert

well, I guess there isn't much for me to compare. I have a Coleman and it does the job...namely a place for me to go and a place to put it. I wouldn't say its easy to clean though( and I dont' know if different models are any easier.) Given the fact water can be heavy, its a bit cumbersome to lift up when it full of water and ready to go or when its been used and needs to be dumped. I do like having the convience of the porta potty despite some of its draw backs.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-28 5:02 PM (#86568 - in reply to #86555)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=8939

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=9079

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-28 5:27 PM (#86571 - in reply to #86555)

Veteran

My hubby wanted a taller one than we used to have, with two tanks that you fill and flush into,  and it works fine.  BUT, it's heavy for me to move so it waits for him to do it (good for me anyway).  But, take the filled weight into consideration if you are thinking of a larger one.

4$ponies
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-28 5:43 PM (#86573 - in reply to #86555)

Oh wow, I finally get to post an answer to someone else's question  .... I've actually done a lot of research on this and am glad to share.  The best porta potty, in my opinion, is the kind that uses the WAG BAG or like system.  These are products that are made by at least two different manufactors (that I've been able to locate) that use disposable, doubled- bags with polymers and enzymes to deorderize and process waste (it turns into a type of gel) - you can then seal the bag up and dispose of it in any trash can along with your regular garbage.  I've seen several different products - bags you can use individually, a product called the PETT toilet (small, foldable toilet but it's a little expensive), another toilet that uses a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic toilet seat that you can line with either the WAG BAG or one of the bags made by Resstop.  The best place I know of to check out these products is www.REI.com .  I don't work for either of these companies but in my capacity as a park service superintendent at a big recreational area I've become passionate about educating the public about how to dispose of their waste properly.  Good luck!  Oh, and these products are recommended by the Leave No Trace program in conjunction with the National Forest Service and by the BLM, in case you are interested.
4$ponies
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-28 5:49 PM (#86574 - in reply to #86555)

Let me clarify a few things about my last post  ... what I am describing here is suitable for someone who is looking for a portable pottie.  The great thing about using one of these systems is that there is no mess to have to clean up later, you just deposit the bag into any trash containter.  All you need is a 5 gallon bucket, or, if space is an issue, something like the PETT Portable Toilet, which uses the same thing.  What I have found is that most people, faced with knowing they have to clean out a messy bucket later, opt to go out behind a bush somewhere and end up leaving a mess for the next person to use the area, not to mention all of those white paper flowers ....... (:
paintcrazytexan
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-28 6:05 PM (#86576 - in reply to #86568)

Regular

Hi, Rentento.  Thanks for the links,,,
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-29 8:15 PM (#86657 - in reply to #86555)

Veteran

Get a Thetford or Bio-Pot porta potti.  These can be found on Ebay cheap new or Walmart sells them in the camping/boating sections.  I used a Thetford for years until the bellows wore out. I bought a Bio Pot off of Ebay new for 1/3 cost after shipping.  Both have cassettes that come apart and you can dump these in the porta johns or dispose of with the horse manure on top. Make sure you get a holding tank between 4-6 gallons.  These are taller and hold 2 people for a weekend.  Make sure you use chemical in the holding tank everytime and dump and flush after each trip. Keep it in the shower or in the horse area if you have a walk thru door.  I would rather have this than a black holding tank that I have to winterize.
paintcrazytexan
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-30 8:50 PM (#86698 - in reply to #86555)

Regular

Hi, I would like to thank everyone for their input.  After researching them, I decided on the Pett.  I really like the idea of no chemicals, no dumping or heavy lifting.  Just wrap up and toss.  It is also a standard height. I like that.   Very enviromentally safe too.
4$ponies
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-30 11:30 PM (#86708 - in reply to #86555)

Good for you!  I'm glad I was able to help.
Sharon
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-07-01 7:39 AM (#86713 - in reply to #86573)

Veteran

Originally written by 4$ponies on 2008-06-28 5:43 PM

...The best porta potty, in my opinion, is the kind that uses the WAG BAG or like system.  These are products that are made by at least two different manufactors (that I've been able to locate) that use disposable, doubled- bags with polymers and enzymes to deorderize and process waste (it turns into a type of gel) - you can then seal the bag up and dispose of it in any trash can along with your regular garbage.  I've seen several different products...another toilet that uses a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic toilet seat that you can line with either the WAG BAG or one of the bags made by Resstop. ...

BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been using that 5-gallon bucket with the toilet seat lid, but have been just lining it with a couple of kitchen trash bags.  I'm going to REI.com right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-07-01 8:54 AM (#86722 - in reply to #86713)

Expert

Originally written by Sharon on 2008-07-01 8:39 AM

Originally written by 4$ponies on 2008-06-28 5:43 PM

...The best porta potty, in my opinion, is the kind that uses the WAG BAG or like system.  These are products that are made by at least two different manufactors (that I've been able to locate) that use disposable, doubled- bags with polymers and enzymes to deorderize and process waste (it turns into a type of gel) - you can then seal the bag up and dispose of it in any trash can along with your regular garbage.  I've seen several different products...another toilet that uses a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic toilet seat that you can line with either the WAG BAG or one of the bags made by Resstop. ...

BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've been using that 5-gallon bucket with the toilet seat lid, but have been just lining it with a couple of kitchen trash bags.  I'm going to REI.com right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANG!!! Grab up some Cracklin Oat Bran and some Pitted Prunes while you're out!! Break the new pottie in with a bang!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)