'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Downsizing Question....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-07-03 10:06 AM
6 replies, 3618 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

walnuthill
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-07-02 11:40 AM (#86772)
Subject: Downsizing Question....

Has anyone downsized their LQ trailer and regretted it?  I have a 16'LQ with full finished midtack 3 Horse that I absolutely LOVE.  It has ample storage, the floorplan works well for me and it has plenty of room for a family but my daughter is moving on to High School Rodeo and will be pulling her own F-150 with a 4-Star 2H while I go the other way to my Ranch Horse shows.  Does it make sense in today's economy to pull this monster with just 1 horse and myself?

Hubby sometimes comes - so max would be 2 horses and 2 people.  I have looked at weekender packages because I am never in my LQ - only at night to sleep.  I don't even watch TV half the time because I am an avid reader and would rather read a book than watch TV.  Hubby keeps saying I'm going to miss my castle.  It is fully loaded and has a really nice conversion package in it (JIMCO) with hardwood floors, ceramic tile entry way and bathroom and ceramic tile countertops.  Many of the new trailers I have looked at have what I consider the entry level LQ packages - vinyl floors, etc. where this is a premium LQ.  The trailer is only 8 years old and still looks brand new.  I just don't want to sell my LQ, purchase a smaller unit and have to upgrade because I have been spoiled with a roomier trailer.  My trailer is also 8 foot wide - will I miss that extra foot going to a 7 wide?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-02 12:14 PM (#86775 - in reply to #86772)
Subject: RE: Downsizing Question....

Expert

When we bought our first LQ we kept our smaller BP stock/horse combo. It was the best move we made. The larger trailer doesn't easily fit into small camp grounds, and is inconvenient to use for a quick run to the vets. It's a task getting everything hooked up and ready to go. However, when you're at a several day show, it's comfort and convenience are the very reasons it was purchased.

A few years later we bought a small LQ trailer, to replace our stock BP trailer. It is the same sized trailer we had for our stock/combo (18' box), but has the additional GN area. It has many of the amenities of the larger trailer, in a smaller space. It is our "get to go" trailer, small one or two day shows, a quick trail ride, taking a horse to a trainers. It is used probably 3/4 of the time, because it is so versatile, light and handy.

A smaller LQ to us, is a pleasure to use. We enjoy having a choice, and each one has its benefits. The smaller one is used more.

gard

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-02 1:06 PM (#86777 - in reply to #86772)

Veteran

We also have a large LQ and a small one. We only use the large one a few times a year and yes, it is nice having the extra room when we use it. But, we use the 6'6" sw at least once a week for day rides and for short weekends and tight places. We have tossed around getting a small stock trailer for day rides but I like having the bath room and a place to wash my hands if needed plus a refrigerator for a cold drink of water after riding. If I could only have one trailer I think it would be 8' wide, and 8'sw so that I could have the best of both worlds, and maybe a small stock trailer too. I think we need our heads examined. We could all be rich if we didn't have horses, but we would all be bored.

Hard decision..

Good Luck

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-07-02 5:56 PM (#86784 - in reply to #86772)

Expert

Angela

I went on your LQ conversion web sit and was pleasantly surprised to see the interiors you have built. As a member of this forum, I'm sure you're aware of the numerous inquiries of shell owners, that either want to have, or want to build LQs into their trailers. There are constant questions on who does this work, as well as how it is accomplished.

Many people are budget conscious and want a nice interior in their used trailers. Being able to choose specific options would also appeal to owners not wanting a complete package. Not everyone wants a high end product. Many DIYers are interested in the shorter LQs.

There are also trailer owners who need a source of parts for their own conversions. A "mom and pop operation" would certainly appeal to the people who are fed up with big businesses that forget your name and don't care about quality.

Why haven't we heard from you? Here's your chance.

Gard

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2008-07-02 10:48 PM (#86799 - in reply to #86772)

Veteran

Gard, you've put me on the spot. I do respond to some and also PM a lot of folks that have questions or need things. We try to help as many folks as we can. We are small so we have just me that does the Internet, and work with each of our customers to draw floor plans and get ideas so that each of our customers are 100% satisfied along with a long list of other things that keep us up and running. I truly wish I had more time to spend on HTW I enjoy reading the forum and a lot of the time I really have alot of information that I could share and sometimes do. I will try to find the time more often to put my two cents in where I can.  My husband does not have the time at all to spend on the Internet, he works late every night in the shop on customers trailers. He is our back bone and the one with all the talent. If you want a hard question answered he is the one to ask. He has helped several folks out with their DIYS work, all they have to do is ask. We admire anyone that tries to take on this task their self. It is a lot of work and when you are dealing with electrical and LP it is important that you have some direction.

We really love working with our customers and most become very good friends. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up, We are truly Blessed to be in this business and are very thankful to have met so many wonderful people. If we can help anyone we will do our best.

I also see alot of people who try to push for business on the forum making it all about them and how great they are, I really don't want to do that on here. All we want is for our customers to be happy.

Like you said yourself folks don't care about quality it's all about quantity. Well, it's just the opposite with us all we care about is quality not quantity. I hope no one takes offence to this.

Thanks

ASJ

Edited by ASJ 2008-07-03 6:01 AM
kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 6:37 AM (#86800 - in reply to #86799)

Angelia,

I also have been looking at your website, and think what you guys do, especially in the smaller spaces, is nothing short of amazing! If I was just a little closer, I'd have my trailer on your doorstep ASAP! I know pictures don't always tell the whole story, but your workmanship looks impeccable. Keep up the good work!

Donna

kentuckyrain
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-07-03 10:06 AM (#86816 - in reply to #86772)

Originally written by walnuthill on 2008-07-02 12:40 PM

Has anyone downsized their LQ trailer and regretted it?  I have a 16'LQ with full finished midtack 3 Horse that I absolutely LOVE. 

I've never experienced the kind of trailer that you are talking about, so maybe I'm not the person to respond to you. However, only you can decide if it makes sense for your situation to continue to haul a trailer this size for one or two people. I make no judgements, but would like to say that I am very content with my 3 1/2 ft shortwall dressing room. Not LQ, dressing room. While I do want to improve the space I won't be going to a larger size. I can use this trailer for day trips or for week-ends and could manage longer stays if I had to. Since most of my trips are one overnight, it makes sense for me to stick with this trailer. Some of my friends have much larger trailers and they stay out longer and maybe go more often. They seem to be ready to upgrade their trailers to bigger and better on a whim. I am happy for them and I am happy for you as well, it seems that you  love your trailer very much and I wonder if you would be content to downsize in space and/or quality. I would like to encourage you to look at the conversions that Angelia and her husband have completed, though. I am impressed! Good luck with your decision and take your time, because you don't want to make one that you will regret later!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)