'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Love is... installing a new floor in her horse trailer. =]

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-20 1:51 PM
11 replies, 4806 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 11:02 AM (#85818)
Subject: Love is... installing a new floor in her horse trailer. =]

Don't hesitate to take a bargain trailer if all it needs is a floor! I can now say this from experience, since this weekend my wife and I spent some quality time together installing a new floor in the trailer we bought for Sassy. The job wasn't near as hard or as expensive as I feared, being completely new to horse trailers. I even installed some extra angle iron under the floor just to beef it up some. Probably unnecessary, but two floor supports just didn't seem like enough, even though that seems to be standard practice. Heck, maybe I'll even hire myself out to do it: it was actually kind of fun!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-17 11:31 AM (#85821 - in reply to #85818)
Subject: RE: Love is... installing a new floor in her horse trailer. =]

Expert

Many used items can be successfully repaired to a new or better condition. It affords the "new" owners an ideal opportunity to enjoy many products that were originally, financially out of reach. With some sweat equity, many products can be successfully refurbished. It doesn't take the skills of an "expert" to perform many of the tasks; in fact many novices become experts after they have completed a restoration.

Congratulations on your new trailer floor! The pleasure you will gain from the satisfaction of successfully completing that task, will give you confidence in completing more. It affords a gratification of which the owner of a new item is unaware.

Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-17 11:34 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-17 12:02 PM (#85822 - in reply to #85818)

Expert

I can now say this from experience, since this weekend my wife and I spent some quality time together installing a new floor in the trailer we bought for Sassy.

It makes it even better when you do it with out killing each other!!

wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-06-17 1:55 PM (#85837 - in reply to #85818)

Veteran

Originally written by arinekhen on 2008-06-17 11:02 AM
...this weekend my wife and I spent some quality time together installing a new floor in the trailer we bought for Sassy....  it was actually kind of fun!

How sweet!!!  

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-17 3:39 PM (#85844 - in reply to #85818)

Veteran

Very cool! Congrats on the project!

I paid $300 for our first trailer (3H BP) as it needed a floor and bearings repacked.  Lights also didn't work...  I had the whole thing rewired and new floor installed in a weekend (I too enjoyed it!).  Next weekend saw all four brakes reworked and bearings repacked.  Friends of ours still have that trailer and the floor, brakes and wiring are all still working fine.  I would still have that trailer if I hadn't gotten a second draft horse (the 3H was a draft +1 trailer!).

I thought it was going to be a TON harder than it turned out to be.  Floor was physical work, but not very hard (just a bit labor intensive).  Rewiring was also a lot easier than I would have ever imagined.  The only thing that was as much of a pain as I thought were the brakes.  :-

arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-17 3:58 PM (#85849 - in reply to #85844)

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

Statzk, wow, I absolutely must talk you out of some of your expertise, then! I have yet to evaluate the brakes on the trailer - never having a trailer, I never had to learn about their operation or maintenance. I haven't been too worried about it yet since my Silverado has no trouble stopping it, and since we'll only have the one horse in it, but I do intend to get them working if they don't already. The next-to-last owner just cut off the harness and put on a standard 4-connector for just the lights...

Can I pick your brain after I figure out what kind I have on it?
statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-17 4:31 PM (#85850 - in reply to #85818)

Veteran

I will bglad to help in any way I can!  Everything I learned about trailer brakes came from the internet.  It has been a couple years but I'll see if I can find the articles (from camper brakes, but electric and just like on a horse trailer).  I have been doing car brakes for 20+ years, so the trailer wasn't too much of an issue- trailer brakes are much simpler than drum brakes on my old F250!!!!

There are plenty of articles and advice here on repacking wheel bearings- the trailer I got for $300 had sat unmoved for quite a few years so I figured it needed it! 

Here is one of the articles I used:

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

This one also explains the setting of the brakes (repair was another article, but I can't find it at the moment):

http://www.rverscorner.com/Trailer_Brakes.html

Handy diagram of the brake parts:

http://lowcostusa.com/trailer-parts-eb.html

Edited by statzk 2008-06-17 4:52 PM
arinekhen
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2008-06-18 3:52 PM (#85926 - in reply to #85850)

Thanks! I'll be bugging you, I'm sure, once I've had a chance to pull the wheels and take a look at what I'm dealing with.

JennyLynn
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-20 9:35 AM (#86063 - in reply to #85818)

New User

Hi everybody,

I was just reading all these posts looking for tips on trailer brakes and lights.  I'm selling my 5 horse to buy a 3 horse, and I'm confused about the lights.  I've tried to research this on the net with no luck.

The lights work, but not right when they're hooked up to our Chevy, but when it's hooked to my Dodge all the lights come on when I hit my brakes.  I had to ride the brakes a little through town to keep from getting a ticket.  I bought a tester, but I don't know where to start, and I live in the middle of nowhere, so it would be a 2 hr trip to take it anywhere.  Should I diy, or will I short something out, like myself maybe?! 

Any help is appreciated.  I also read the trailer scam thread--hilarious!!  I mean, some people!

Thanks guys,

J

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-20 10:00 AM (#86066 - in reply to #85818)

Expert

Your trailer plug is wired incorrectly for your trucks. If you are going to tow with two different trucks, it would behoove you to have all three plugs wired correctly. Start with the wiring diagram on the truck you will use the most. Pull the plug apart on the trailer, and by using that wiring diagram, match the wire functions and reassemble the plug. The receptacle on your second truck should now be changed to match your trailer.

Wiring diagrams can be found on the Internet, Retento often posts them for people. Take one wire at a time and check one function at a time. You will discover a pattern. It's not difficult and it's free if you do it yourself.

Gard

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-06-20 11:54 AM (#86073 - in reply to #85818)

Expert

Nothing says loving like new flooring!

When I bought my trailer, it had that industrial carpeting that isn't really carpeting..you know? it was very hard to clean since stuff stuck to it. So I bought a box of those peel and stick tiles and tried doing it myself,how hard could it be anyway? It was a small space but there was numerous angles to cut ( I wasn't lifting the cabinets) after a whole box and nothing accomplished, I was TO'd...so my husband bought another box and told me to leave it to him. After a few hours, he emerged from the trailer and there it was, a new floor. He did a pretty decent job too. That man just keeps amazing me............

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2008-06-20 1:51 PM (#86079 - in reply to #85818)

Veteran

Rewiring a trailer isn't that difficult (well as long as it isn't a LQ w/ 110 & 12V!) but do check your plugs (both trailer and trucks). I was a complete electical novice when I first started playing with trailers a few years ago- I have been working on cars since High School but not electrical other than putting in a new radio! Had problems with my first trailer pulling truck- it had an RV (7 pin) plug but it didn't work. I wired in a new one ($~7 from Wal-Mart) using the diagram that came with the plug- no luck, the plug was not factory so wire colors did not match. $3 test light (again from Wal-Mart) had me back in business. I wired it how the package told me to (worked well as both my trailers since have been the same standard). Then the trailer didn't work right, so I used a small battery (lawn mower was easy to get close to trailer), a wire lead and my test light I determined what each wire on the trailer did. Wire it to match the truck plug you already did (a known) and you should be good. A simple test light on the second truck should make thing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)