'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
E-Z boots

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-10 3:14 PM
9 replies, 4469 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-05-27 4:57 AM (#84712)
Subject: E-Z boots

Extreme Veteran

Can anyone give me info. on sizing E-Z boots and what you think of them?   I have shoes on 1 horse, he has very good feet and does fine barefoot except one of the places we ride is very rocky so he needs shoes when we go there.  I hate to keep shoes on him just for riding in the  rocks once or twice/month..   so was thinking about using the boots.   comments?  suggestions?  thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-05-27 6:57 AM (#84714 - in reply to #84712)
Subject: RE: E-Z boots

Extreme Veteran

I have never used boots but here is a recent posting about boots:
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=943...

Not sure that linked worked so look in the Camp & Trail forum.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-05-27 7:08 AM (#84716 - in reply to #84712)

Expert

The Easyboots will work fine.

But you will still need to trim his feet on a regular basis

You will need to take a few minutes before each ride to put the boots on. If your fellow riders are impatient, do it before you leave home.

You will occassionally break cables, buckles, and gaiters.  Consider them as consumables.  Learn how to replaces these parts, it's not a big deal.

If you use the Epics or Original Easyboot, place a cotter pin in the buckle or wrap a layer or two of Duct tape over the buckle when you ride in rough country. I prefer the new Easyboot Bares. A little harder to put on the first few times, But no buckles or cables to break.

luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-05-27 8:57 PM (#84777 - in reply to #84712)

Regular

I have heard a lot of good things about the Old Mac boots.  Several people where I board have used them for sore horses that had difficulty keeping a shoe on.  They are fairly pricey, but are supposed to fit better than Easy Boots.  Your farrier should be able to measure your horse's feet for you and tell you what size you need.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2008-05-27 10:24 PM (#84784 - in reply to #84712)

Extreme Veteran

I ride endurance where many people have EZ Boots in case their horse loses a shoe. Some use them for the whole ride on rocky terrain. I think the new EZ Boot Epics are easier not to lose. I bought a pair, had to order the smaller size cable and put them on to get the boots to fit well enough that I wouldn't worry about losing them. It was not easy to change the cables, but not impossible. Old Macs are great for trail riding, but probably not for hours of riding like endurance. A new boot coming out for barefoot only horses are called Renegade Boots. They are really cool, but your horse has to be barefoot. The one thing I can say about EZBoots is that they are not really easy. They are challenging to keep on for the entire ride. I wrap my horse's foot with a little vetwrap around the bottom of his hoof to help keep them on. I think there is another brand that folks use too... Boa Boots. Don't know much about them, but I think each boot is designed more for a specific shape of foot. Read about each, talk with folks that use each and measure carefully when you finally decide on the brand you want to try. Also, any boot can cause rubbing. I check mine if I am riding in conditions with alot of sand and or water.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-05-28 8:16 AM (#84794 - in reply to #84712)

Extreme Veteran

Actually I did use E-Z boots for a brief time but this was probably in the early 90's.  All I remember was it took hrs. to get the damn things off!   I know they've been improved and modified since then tho.  I did endurance and CTR's for years (AERC 7039)  luckily always had horses w/ wonderful feet and rarely lost a shoe and never on the trail.   

Where do you ride in WA?    how long have you been doing endurance?    one of the Dr.s I used to work with has just started endur. and loves it!  she lives near Hood River OR. maybe you could hook up w/ her if you're close?  it's a beautiful area.  I went out there 2 yrs. ago for a conference- we did everything but spend much time at the conference- too busy riding/hiking/white water kayaking, etc. fun fun!

Here in  S. VA any decent trails are 2 hrs. away and I have to trailer to do anything at all  w/ the horses.  can't even ride on the side of the roads cause there are very deep ditches, no shoulders.  we did buy land in TN but won't be able to move for a few more years.  sigh.    Never thought I'd say it but I'm REALLY liking dressage -have a 5 yr old gelding (Merlin) who is doing very well in it.  he's the only one w/ shoes and I still like to trail ride him at least a couple times/ month.     He has good feet and altho most dressage people keep shoes on their horses I don't see a need to  for riding in the arena.  

My 100 mile horse is retired and I use him for ponying the baby who is out of my great old Rushcreek mare.   he was to be my future endurance horse but now w/ the price of fuel going up daily may have to rethink our plans.

Anyway, if possible I'd like to see different types of boots before deciding what to get.   we don't need anything real heavy duty since we'll only be riding 3 or 4 hrs. - maybe 1/2 of that at the trot and canter.   I just want something that is easy to get on and off and would protect his feet.  can't find anyone in this area who uses them but I"ll keep looking. 

Anita

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-05-28 8:21 AM (#84797 - in reply to #84712)

Extreme Veteran

oops... that last post was supposed to be a PM
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-05-29 8:53 PM (#84875 - in reply to #84712)

Regular

ACY:I didn't even notice you are in Suffolk.  Where are you in Suffolk?  My horses are at the northern part of Suffolk on Crittenden Road.

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-10 9:53 AM (#85459 - in reply to #84712)

Extreme Veteran

I just purchased a pair of Renegades for my daughter's gelding to trail ride in.  I was very happy with how well they worked.  They stayed on great; were easy to put on and take off; handled the water of creeks and rocks with no problems or slipping (North GA Mtns).  She even cantered him in a field with them on.  One thing I have noticed with using Easy Boots in the past (besides hard to get off) is that they don't drain.  The Renegades do not hold water and since the back of the boot does not come up over his heel bulbs we had no problem with rubbing.  They seem to work great but we haven't rode in them but a couple of times.  Still I think they are definately work checking into.  So far I think they are great and so did the horse!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-06-10 3:14 PM (#85483 - in reply to #84712)

Expert

We've been using the oldmacs for the past year on our four riding horses.  I have only had one boot come off, hubby didn't put them on tight on his first try.  He figured that since he didn't like his tennies tied tight his mare probally wouldn't either...... go figure. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)