'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Picking up feet

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-30 1:39 AM
4 replies, 3601 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-05-20 9:49 AM (#84321)
Subject: Picking up feet

Veteran

There was a talk on how to help a horse pick up their feet. We are having trouble with the back feet (especially one leg). We can not figure out why. If you can provide me with that message board or provide tips that would help very much. We have tried lead line around back legs. One side is more workable and the other side he prances around and around. He is five years old,former owner just drugged him to get his feet done. We did this one time (when we first got him) he needed his feet done badly. We are determined not to have this done again. Tried to run him but even with being out all day, he has enough energy to make this a pain in the but. We just need him to pick up for 15 minutes on each foot - just a trim. We had him gelded on the April 30 - he might be still sore - right? Is that the problem? Thank you for any advice.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-05-20 1:18 PM (#84327 - in reply to #84321)
Subject: RE: Picking up feet

Expert

Being a stud that was not well trained until now is a lot of the problem... he has not yet been gelded long enough for all of that studdishness to diminish.  He needs more work all the way around, most likely... good of you to be determined to teach him more appropriate behavior.  He could still be sore some, but if he was bad about it before, he still is likely to not be cooperative after the soreness is alleviated.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-05-20 9:15 PM (#84360 - in reply to #84321)

Veteran

If he's kicky be careful.  I had a big QH who had some VERY bad farrier experiences before I came to own him, and he was terrified of hoof handling.  He'd stomp down his feet or squirm until you dropped the foot.  Then he learned that squirming got his feet free. 

What I did was work on picking his feet up for brief seconds using a lead rope. That way my face or hands were clear of waving legs. Make a "noose" out of your leadrope by threading the tail of the rope through either the mouth of the snap, or the base of the snap, whichever it slides through the easiest.  Put the noose around the pastern. Practice just getting him to lift all 4 feet by pressure of the rope. Even just an inch for 2 seconds. It helps on the back ones to pull backwards and out a little. Have a buddy hold the horse, but don't tie him.  The rope is easier to hang onto when he starts swinging his feet around.  When he's comfortable lifting his feet just a tad with the rope, try adding a nice stout western saddle.  First just slightly loop the rope over the horn for the front feet, and for the back, well, I found that once the front feet were done (in my horse's case) the backs weren't so bad.   Anyhow, once you're pretty sure the horse won't explode you can dally the rope a bit more on the saddle horn so when he tries to be a butt and stomp his foot around or get fidgety he can move....but you still have his foot and he doesn't "get away" with taking his foot. Move with him if he tries to scoot.  Don't let him get away. Don't dally the rope so much that it can't slide free if you get into a real fit.  I also used a gadget called The Stableizer when this horse was real bad.  It helped.   My horse's main problem was with the front feet.  His backside was fine.  He would literally stand with every muscle trembling while the farrier calmly trimmed.  He knew he needed to be good, but someone really screwed him up.  It takes time to undo painful memories.  The lunging when they misbehave thing works for some horses, but mine would just get more upset and frazzled when we lunged him.  The rope around the leg also helps to train the horse for what to do if he were caught in something like a fence or a bailing twine or hay bag.  It's good to get ropes and hoses and such around the legs, just don't tie hard & fast, and work in an enclosed safe area. Work on this after lunging if possible so the horse isn't fresh and is listening.  This is just one suggestion,  I'm sure people have more ideas for you.  I know how frustrating it can be.  Try giving your horse some bute before the trim.  It will help with pain and inflammation if you need to have him trimmed again while he's still healing from his surgery.  Whatever you do, don't take my post as "tie the horses leg up and trim him" because that's not what I did.  My stinker just realized that if he squirmed and put his foot down he was free.  All I did was keep ahold of his foot by using the rope and he learned that squirming didn't equal freedom.  Good luck, be safe. 

Amanda

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 7:15 AM (#84377 - in reply to #84321)

Veteran

Thank you for all your suggestions.  You are correct we just got him a year ago.  He has come so far but he is pushy and can be demanding.  I printed out your ideas and will be bringing them to the barn for every day use.  Everyone who is around him has high opinions.  Also, he is growing up quickly.  We thought he would be just a 14 hands.  Now the food and environment is better, he really shot up - think 15 and up.  Once again "Thank You." 
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2008-05-30 1:39 AM (#84883 - in reply to #84321)

Extreme Veteran

I am a firm believer that lot's of round pen work is in order for him. There's is plenty of info from many well known trainers on the subject. Each has slightly different technique.I found combining or blending them works the best.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)