'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Colt with soreness in the hindquarters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-07 6:21 AM
13 replies, 4890 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-21 9:44 AM (#84388)
Subject: Colt with soreness in the hindquarters

Expert

Got a 4 year old colt.Quarter horse.Started him last year and he got really sore in both hocks and his tailbone.This started a month or so into starting him.Bad enough to take x rays of hocks etc.It affected his temprment.Turned into a ear pinned at times bad attitude.Found nothing in the x rays.Turned colt out and he was noticeably sore and stiff in the hind end.Withen a couple weeks it went away.I got sick and he's been turned out for a year.He has been like a rat terrier.Into everthing and very athletic.Had a respected older trainer that does reining but is more on the lines of the natural clinictians see the colt and he was interested.Took him kinda on a trail basis and if not to get him started up again.He's had the colt about a week.Said colt has been willing and a ears up pleasant kinda horse.Yesterday in the round pen trainer saddled him and pulled the rear girth up and it touched his belly.Said colt came uncorked in a split second.Colt bucked it out,trainer loosend rear girth a little and started over.Retightend rear girth.All was ok.This A.M.colt was down in stall,got up with difficultly and is stoved up in the rear, right rear being the most obvious.Nothing appears swollen or fat,proding with fingers brings no unusal responce.Going to monitor and work colt lightly and see where we end up in a few days.Well thats how my morning horse wise has started.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-05-22 12:50 AM (#84437 - in reply to #84388)
Subject: RE: Colt with soreness in the hindquarters

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like quite a puzzle. Pinched nerve? Maybe a chiropractor could get a "big picture" analysis of what's wrong. Good luck and let us know how tomorrow goes.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-22 12:43 PM (#84471 - in reply to #84388)

Expert

Well colt acted ok this A.M. and worked in the round pen with no hint of a issue.Attitude was good,ears up and saw no movement issues going right or left.Yesterday morning he about could not get up and moved terribly.Well see what more days bring as he's asked to do more.Used no bute or drugs.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-23 8:22 AM (#84550 - in reply to #84388)

Extreme Veteran

I believe that Lyme's Disease sometimes manifests itself with symptoms of muscle soreness that can appear intermittently.  You may also find low grade temps that come and go.  How's the tick situation in your area?
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-23 9:05 AM (#84555 - in reply to #84388)

Expert

Ticks are not prevalent here.We have them but can't remember the time I've found any on the dogs or cats or us.With horses who knows.I was like WOW went a year and came back around to square one.Was getting ready to hold papers and Saturday night sell him(after doing some diagnosis of course). I feel fortunate that he is ok and hope to goodness he stays that way.I have a small fortune tied up in him.Will never recoup half of that I bet.Guess he got a cramp or something from bucking so hard.Everything else he's done has been ears up,lip licking,quiet in the stall etc.He has a fair number of hours under saddle from last year but he had a not so nice attitude that showed up in training.So far all is good except the rear cinch thing which didn't bother him last year.He's a ok looking colt.Nothing spectacular.15hand bay by a Doc Solino /Lady BE Great Pine stallion and a Wimpy Chico/Dark Dotty mare(old foundation blood).He is FOR SALE. Bred to have lots of run,endurance and cow!

Edited by hounddog 2008-05-23 9:08 AM
appalusasr4me
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2008-05-24 10:55 PM (#84617 - in reply to #84388)

New User

I had a young App colt that had the same problem. I had shoes put on all fours and this seem to alleviate the problem but I took it step further and put him on a cup of apple cider vinager per feeding. He no longer shows any sign of soreness and has the sweetest attitude for a stud. Just thought you might like to try.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-25 6:42 AM (#84624 - in reply to #84617)

Expert

I had just had this colt trimmed.Has hooves like flint.I'll keep him barefoot until signs indicate he needs shoes.He's still working good.Asking a little more of him as days progress.If he has a issue I'd rather it show up so I know.He is still in the round pen but that will change this week coming.So far other then the hitch he had I'm pleased with him.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-25 9:25 AM (#84625 - in reply to #84388)

Extreme Veteran

It doesn't sound like Lymes disease to me.  Lymes affects all the joints at the same time.  I just lost a dog to it a couple months ago. 

Although it can manifest itself more prevelantly in the rear joints, as this is where the animals main propulsion comes from and gets the most stress. 

Lymes is treatible if caught early.  It responds to Doxycycline.  Unfortunately it has to be given in high doses and can be hard on an animals system. 

It also could be Lupus, that affects the joints as well, typically the rear joints.  Each of these diseases can be tested easily with a blood test.

If this colt is worth some big bucks, you could also check into an EMG (electro-milagram sp?) to check for nerve damage or pinching. 

I would also look into chiropractor work. 

Only you know what your horse is worth to you and what you want to spend to get him diagnosed. 

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-05-25 12:17 PM (#84630 - in reply to #84388)

Expert

Last year he was sure sore in the hocks and tailbone.At this point he shows signs of nothing.Didn't all year in pasture.He bucked hard the other day.I'm going to just monitor and see.If nothing in the next two weeks I'll start ads back up on him.The reiner he's with is still interested in him.If not him and no buyers he'll head into slow roping training or? I'd like $7500 for him but I'd take $5k before any roping work.Thats not big money.
sasha1396
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-05-27 9:45 AM (#84729 - in reply to #84388)

I also have a horse with a hind hoof soreness and lameness that she WILL NOT let me touch!!!!  The farrier has tried for the past 6 years to trim that hoof and she has NEVER let us touch it without a fight and a lot of kicking.  WELL!!!!! This weeksend I tried the trick with the rope around the leg and IT WORKED!!!!!  She has been letting me pull her leg up and mess with her BUT still not trustworthy enough to put my hands on her!!!  I will keep trying and see if eventually I can lift her hoof without getting kicked through the fence or barn or anywhere.  It was good, sound advice to use the rope to lift the leg.  Thank you whomever for the advice and hint.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2008-05-27 12:53 PM (#84743 - in reply to #84388)

Extreme Veteran

http://www.netpets.com/horses/healthspa/lyme.html

click on the link above for a good, concise, understandable explanation of Lymes Disease in horses. The article includes the following paragraph:

What are the clinical signs of Lyme disease in horses? Clinical signs (symptoms) of Lyme disease appear in less than 10 % of horses that are infected with Borrelia burgdorferi. The most common symptoms are lameness and behavioral changes. The lameness is usually associated with larger joints (not the foot), and frequently shifts from limb to limb. The horse may appear to have a generalized stiffness. Fever may or may not be present. Occasionally, laminitis (an inflammation of the tissues inside the hoof wall) has been associated with Lyme disease. Behavioral changes associated with Lyme disease are difficult to categorize. As well as an unwillingness to work (which may be associated with musculoskeletal pain), owners frequently observe increased irritability and a changed attitude in these horses, which quickly return to normal following treatment.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-04 5:08 PM (#85215 - in reply to #84388)

Expert

UPDATE.As the days have gone by this gelding has gotton more and more unruly.I guess thats a good word.Unruly.Still in the round pen and not pushing him hard he gets surly,brings his head around,ears back and trys to bite you.At a trot all of a sudden throws his head and trys to pitch.He's soft enough to flex deep into your leg and he can't buck but he sure wants to.Flexed is when he trys to bite your leg.Same deal with rearing.Get off him and he has nice ground manners,licks his lips and is willing to do what is asked of him.Actually pull the saddle off and he gets happy.Crawl in the saddle Doctor Jeckyll appears.Hadn't been on him in two days now.Tried a number of times to palpate him,back,hips,legs with no reaction.Vet coming out in the A.M. Curious if he'll see or get a reaction out of him body wise.I'm giving this colt every chance but he's getting close to being a total write off and off to a Sturday night sale with no papers or? No signs of lameness or short striding but I think he's got(or had??)back or spine issue.He is very much a Doctor Jeckyll,Mr hyde.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-06-04 11:21 PM (#85236 - in reply to #84388)

Veteran

I have seen two horses act in the Dr Jekyll, Mr. Hyde manner like you describe..in both cases it turned out that they had some kind of vertebra damage.  Palpating the back did not show any signs of it, they had to get full xrays I believe, and even then they were not 100% positive.  After learning this, one owner traced the damage back to when her gelding was about 6 months...he was racing through the paddock, slipped and went cartwheeling into the pole fence.  No damage visible at that time but they think he did somehow damage vertebrae in his neck.  95% of the time he would be fine and then something would snap and he would become completely out of control.  He was judged unsafe and retired to the pasture.  Don't know if this could be the problem with your colt, but the Dr.J/Mr.H reference just reminded me of those two other horses.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-06-07 6:21 AM (#85346 - in reply to #84388)

Expert

$133 dollars later NOTHING. Vet took temp,looked him over.Then went over him from top of head to tail bone several times.Took him to the round pen.Vet went over legs,ankles and while doing so colt acted like he was falling asleep.Then saddled him.Rear girth pulled up and touching.Nothing.Colt worked good even with slight hand signals,walk,trot and cantor.Both directions Rode him.Colt acted somewhat irritated and once while deep flexing tried to bite the leg.He got somewhat booted in the mouth and that was that.He worked good from then on.Vet said he saw nothing the entire time to indicate a physical issue.We did discuss colts previous bout with being bad sore and maybe he's anticipating pain.Going to continue lite workouts and try to get past him acting antsy about getting in the saddle etc.Horses what a pain.Oh we did find some cuts in his mouth.Floated his teeth.Wish we had cattle feed lots or? Colt needs a job that keeps his mind working I think.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)