'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Electric Brake Wiring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-14 12:00 PM
2 replies, 3104 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-04-14 9:17 AM (#81868)
Subject: Electric Brake Wiring

Veteran

Would a bad ground wire cause brakes not to register on the controller in the truck?  When I bought my trailer, we plugged it in at the place of purchase, and the brakes worked.  I had the trailer delivered, and the brakes no longer work.  I found one bad spot where the wire had rubbed on the axle, and I repaired it.  Still no luck.  I found that the ground for brakes is on the frame of the trailer up by the nose.  It had been broken off.  I reattached it, and still the brakes don't register on the controller in the truck.  Do you think the ground could be the problem, I don't see any other places the wiring could be faulty. Would a little corrosion cause all this trouble?  All the lights work 100% great.  The controller appears to be working as well.

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-04-14 9:35 AM (#81869 - in reply to #81868)
Subject: RE: Electric Brake Wiring

It could be a ground issue. Hate to ask this, but did you double check the fuse? And is everything else working?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-04-14 12:00 PM (#81883 - in reply to #81868)
Subject: RE: Electric Brake Wiring

Expert

If your lights are working properly, I would think that your ground wire is intact.

As was previously stated, it sounds like a source problem in your brake circuit. If your controller has power to it and is illuminating, then the truck fuse is good. Go to the trailer plug with a VOM and while someone steps on the brakes, see if you have voltage to the appropriate pin. If you do, your truck circuit is good. You can also test the controller's function there, by changing its settings and watching the resulting voltage change at the plug.

The next step would be an inspection of your trailer's plug and connecting wiring. With your meter, you can work your way towards the brakes until you find no voltage and the fault.

If all the brakes are inoperative, then the open fault has to be somewhere between the plug, and the splices where the individual brakes wires are connected together. If some of the brakes are working, then it would be the individual wiring after the splices, to the affected brake.

Bol Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)