'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Fell Down in Trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-27 9:55 PM
13 replies, 5664 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JS81489
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-24 6:01 PM (#80280)
Subject: Horse Fell Down in Trailer

New User

My horse fell down in the trailer because he lost his balance while we were driving on a bumpy road. I can get him into other trailers but he will not go into that trailer again. Does anybody have any tips on how to get him to go back in. I have tried lunging him in a circle and sending him into the trailer on his own accord but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-24 7:26 PM (#80293 - in reply to #80280)
Subject: RE: Horse Fell Down in Trailer

Expert

My husband's mare fell in  a trailer on the way to a ride.He said they liked to have never got her to go back in when the ride was over,and,they had to winch her in with a rope,ect,which,I don't recommend.It may take a while.Try going in the trailer on the other side and showing him it's OK in there,and,feeding him in the trailer,it always works for me.We had a big gelding that didn't want to go in a small 2H,we thought we would make him go in,well,we didn't.He got hurt in the process,and,it was a LONG time before he'd go in it.He finally did.Keep working and have patiences,work every day for a little while and keep your fingers crossed.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-24 7:38 PM (#80296 - in reply to #80280)

Expert

Last summer we had an incident, which involved the jackknifing of our truck and trailer. Two horses that were being transported, were thrown about quite severely, but were uninjured. To this day, they are reluctant to load.

The next day after the incident, we attempted to load the horses. One finally loaded after about 10 or 15 minutes of effort. He reloaded two more times and we put him away. The second gelding would not load after an hour and a half of intense exertion. We knew if we failed then, the next attempt would be almost impossible. We took a long breather, 20 minutes or so, and again started the process. We finally ended up covering his eyes and spending some time calming the situation.

He partially loaded several times, pulling out before he was fully contained. He was sweating and shaking profusely, he was a wreck. After walking him back to the arena and working with him with some basic ground work, everyone's nerves were once again calmed. We discussed calling a vet and the administration of a tranquilizer. No vets were available except for emergency calls.

So we went back to the trailer, again covered his eyes, and spoke as softly as our patience would allow; the third attempt was fruitful. We did not try to trap him with the butt bar and lead, instead we let him stand there on his own. Talking in soothing tones, lots of body rubbing and taking off the blindfold eased his tension. Within a few minutes, his eyes were less round, and he was looking around for some treats.

We backed him out, which started to upset him, but again walked him until he calmed a bit. We reloaded twice more, each time it was easier, and called it a successful day.

Even now he is not the same as before the incident. It must have been a dramatic event in his life, to have experienced that episode. I am hoping that this summer's routine will get him back in his groove.

BOL   Gard

cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-24 8:08 PM (#80300 - in reply to #80280)

Regular

Wow Gard I can not imagine.

I had a saddled horse's stirrup get caught on the gate one time and it totally freaked this guy out. He was dream to load and unload before that and until the day I sold him you never knew how he would load.

Then this last summer I had a young filly fall or crawl and got in with another horse and they got stuck in the trailer and it was quite the ordeal to get them out....and it did not even phase that poor horse.. 

I have been know to back the horse and just feed them in there. In the days before all the lunging this what we did all the time...

Good Luck!

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-03-24 8:14 PM (#80302 - in reply to #80280)

JS81489 I sent you a private message.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-25 1:40 AM (#80322 - in reply to #80280)

Expert

Originally written by JS81489 on 2008-03-24 7:01 PM

My horse fell down in the trailer because he lost his balance while we were driving on a bumpy road. I can get him into other trailers but he will not go into that trailer again. Does anybody have any tips on how to get him to go back in. I have tried lunging him in a circle and sending him into the trailer on his own accord but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com/

When one of his clinics come to your area...Have him get your horse loading again

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-25 8:51 PM (#80368 - in reply to #80280)

Extreme Veteran

If you can, feed them in there every day. Leave the trailer where they have to go in to eat...a small paddock or something. They learn quickly it is a nice place to be.
I had a mare that fell in the trailer when she was a yearling. It was so traumatic to her that she would shake if she even SAW the trailer. It took a long time to get her over it, but the feeding did the trick.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-03-25 11:23 PM (#80376 - in reply to #80368)

Expert

My mother used to back her truck and 2 horse bumper trailer up to the horses pen and put feed in one side, hay on the other side and leave the water in the pen.  It usually took a day or so but the horse learns to load and unload by it's self and that the trailer can be a good place. 

When I get a difficult loader I feed them in the trailer and no where else until they relax.   After they are relaxed I will start shutting the divider with a hay bag and eventually start taking short trips. 

rsandi5218
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-03-26 7:29 PM (#80400 - in reply to #80280)

http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com/

So Paul, have you ever talked with him or had him work with your horse?
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-03-26 8:36 PM (#80406 - in reply to #80400)

Veteran

I have spoken to Clinton on a couple of occasions and have been to 3 of his clinics.  I highly reccomend him.  Patience is the key tho.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-03-26 10:05 PM (#80418 - in reply to #80400)

Expert

Originally written by rsandi5218 on 2008-03-26 8:29 PM

http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com/ So Paul, have you ever talked with him or had him work with your horse?

Knock on the formica...I've never needed him personally...but I have seen him work...HE IS GOOD...

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-03-26 10:22 PM (#80420 - in reply to #80418)

Expert

I second Paul on Clinton,we saw him at a small clinic about 4-5 years ago at searcy,AR,and he was good then,and he's still a very good trainer.I also like Julie Goodnight.
2horsetown
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-27 9:20 PM (#80480 - in reply to #80280)

New User

I have a horse that jumped the chest bar on the way home with him when I purchased him. the previous owner said he trailered fine. yea right. he was almost dead when I found him hanging in the trailer. After that near death experience he was terrified of the trailer and would rear at it and when a friend tried to load him he smashed his head on the top of the trailer. another bad experience. I had no hope for this horse to ever load again, Then I met a John Lyons trainer at a rescue clinic. She gave me hope and I am so lucky to have met her. She told me that he was the worst case she ever had but reassured me he could overcome his fear with proper training . and he did! Patience is the key. don't expect it overnight. she tought me how to load him calmly in the trailer. it cost me some money, but my horse was worth every penny of it. Look for a Professional, it worked for me. Good luck!

Clover1
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-03-27 9:55 PM (#80482 - in reply to #80280)

I definitely agree with getting some professional help.  I had a Welsh pony climb into the manger (just front legs - of course) of a two horse trailer with shoes on.  I was all by myself at the stable when it happened.  I was only able to get one leg out at a time since his shoes kept catching on the rim of the manger.  Fortunately, I finally received a little help from above and was able to free him.  I'm not sure which of us was more upset.  He wouldn't have anything to do with the trailer after that. 

I have a friend that trains, using the John Lyons method.  She worked with him until he loaded successfully in a calm, relaxed manner.  In turn, I was able to learn from her a safe method for loading. 

There are several well known trainers that basically use the same loading techniques.  Looking to a professional would be a great way to go.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)