'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Interior Ceiling Idea - Pros/Cons

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-24 11:30 AM
4 replies, 3653 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-03-23 12:16 PM (#80185)
Subject: Interior Ceiling Idea - Pros/Cons

Charter Member

Okay - I've really been stressed over what to use for the ceiling of my project trailer. My walls are going to be wood planks...(lowe's website is down - can't post a link right now). I want something unique and western.

I wanted my ceiling to be the same material, but I wanted the planks to run the length of the ceiling instead of the width (to add a little contrast from the walls). I got to looking at the ceiling and it tapers inward towards the nose and I decided cutting the planks to fit that would be too much of a hassle (for me) and I became stressed over what I wanted to use.

I had initially wanted to make my walls similar to something I saw in a few restaurants where the bottom half is corrugated metal and the top half is wood. I gave up on that idea when I realized that making the corrugated part trim well together with the wood could be difficult.

(look @ the wall behind the girls

The other day I was @ Lowe's looking at the corrugated metal because I thought about using it as a ceiling "tile" type thing. I came across some nifty little pieces of wood they sell that fit into the corrugated parts so that everything is flush and level.

Now I'm torn between a few things...

1. Do I want to slightly rust the metal then clear coat it so it stays just slightly rusted to add a little 'rustic' appearance to the metal OR do I want to leave it shiny and clear coat it so its really glossy????

2. Wouldn't it be best to get it all mounted how I want it, THEN do the clear coat?

3. Since the support beams of the trailer run across the width of the trailer and my metal is going to run down the length, do I need to put in furring strips or can I just screw the metal to the support beams?

4. Do I need to clear coat the "other side (that will not be on the interior) to prevent it from rusting?

Edited by Mandi/Abby 2008-03-23 1:33 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-03-23 3:28 PM (#80202 - in reply to #80185)
Subject: RE: Interior Ceiling Idea - Pros/Cons

Extreme Veteran

I've lined the inside of a small garage with corrugated steel, and I can't imagine the heartache of trying to put it in a confined space like a HT.I'm almost done with my LQ finish. And one thing that I've found, perhaps only on my Featherlite, but those dang trailers aren't square.I would also advise: The panels that look have a "metal" finish, are galvanized. They won't stay brite and shiny forever, but will assume a dull grey patina...faster when exposed to the outside elements than inside. Unless you coat them with something, and getting paint, or clear coat to adhere to galv, is another task.Good luck.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-23 6:17 PM (#80212 - in reply to #80185)

Expert

If used inside, an automotive clear coating paint will keep the metal from oxidizing and tarnishing. It is available in rattle cans at most automotive stores.

Gard

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-03-23 7:35 PM (#80222 - in reply to #80185)

Elite Veteran

That would look so cool!
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-03-24 11:30 AM (#80255 - in reply to #80222)

Charter Member

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2008-03-23 7:35 PM

That would look so cool!

hanks. That's what I'm aiming for.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread