'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
propane in new trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-13 10:28 AM
5 replies, 4497 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 8:52 AM (#79419)
Subject: propane in new trailer

Regular

my husband is worried about having/using propane in a trailer.  he thinks i should just not have it included when i order the new trailer.  (not sure where he got this idea, but since he is paying for the trailer, i either need to follow his advice or have solid facts as to the safety of using propane in the LQs.)  he has ok'd having the trailer wired for a generator and using one of those if there is no electricity available at a show.

for those of you who have the LQs, have often to you use the propane and for what purpose?  ever had any problems with it?  is it worth the trouble of filling up the tanks? what are the possible problems? 

as usual, thanks for everyone's help and advice.  i feel much more confident about my choices, thanks to this forum.  

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-13 9:28 AM (#79426 - in reply to #79419)
Subject: RE: propane in new trailer

Veteran

I'm taking it that you are ordering a professionally made trailer, not a home made LQ.  Propane is safe, otherwise 99% of RV's, horse trailers, BBQ grills, campers, wouldn't have it.  Obviously you have to use your brain, don't leave gas appliances open to allow the propane to seep out, but of course you would smell it and allow the trailer to air out before lighting a match.  Propane is used for the oven, stove, refrigerator, hot water heater, and if you're going really fancy, the fireplace.   Without propane, sorry, your LQ trailer will be useless unless plugged in to an outlet or lots of batteries at all times, or the constant hum of a generator.  Your refrigerator will best run on propane, batteries won't make it cold for any extended period.  I don't think you can even purchase hot water heaters that don't require propane.  I doubt you will be using an electric rangetop stove in the trailer.  Propane is necessary.  Why does your husband have issue with it?  My guess is lack of knowledge.  Read up on propane safety.  Learn how to light your appliances, and you can even buy a leak sniffer to pinpoint any leaks (which should not be a problem in a new trailer) and most new trailers come equipped with alarms for carbon monoxide as well as propane.  Propane is safe....unless you enjoy letting the gas out when you have all the windows and doors shut, ignoring the odor, and decide to light up a match.   You might lose your eyebrows.

Amanda

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-03-13 9:42 AM (#79431 - in reply to #79419)

Veteran

In response to your other questions, propane is very easy.  Go to walmart, gas station, etc. and swap out tanks for 18-20 bucks.  They're cheap, available at many places, and easy to just screw on another one.  Just like your BBQ grill.  I've never had any problems with my propane. Sometimes there is some air in the line the first time you try to light the stove (in my trailer) so it takes a minute for the gas to creep up so I can light it.  If you run a generator constantly, you will be the biggest annoyance to neighbors seeking peace and quiet.  Not only that, but look at the price of gasoline right now.  Do you really want to have to fuel that thing for a whole trip?  I don't think so.  Propane cylinders last a very long time.  Most appliances just have a tiny pilot light which is hardly anything. Propane will be cheaper than running a generator.  I really think that your husband is incorrect about propane, I hope you don't listen to him in this instance.  If you want a hot meal, hot shower, or a cold beer, propane is a must. 

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-03-13 9:51 AM (#79433 - in reply to #79419)

Regular

i agree that the trailer will need propane. now just need to convince husband that going all electric will not be the best idea.  (and yes, the LQs will be done professionally.)

speaking of all electric, the trailer dealer has suggested going with an electric stove (the kind with the flat glass top).  i had wanted  a recessed stove and this is what she suggested, possibly as a way of saving money.   my concern is not so much having an ELECTRIC stove as having the glass top stove, as friends have told me the glass can be hard to keep clean (from spills, etc) and gets scratched easily.  ???

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-03-13 10:16 AM (#79444 - in reply to #79419)

Expert

We use propane in our LQs. It runs all the gas appliances, water heater, stove, cook top, furnace, refrigerator etc. We have not had any problems.

Propane is dangerous. CO poisoning is deadly, fires and explosions can result from a gas leak. However, hundreds of thousands of gas appliances have been used successfully for decades, with very few problems. They can be as reliable as the gas appliances in your home.

All gas appliances have to meet stringent safety codes, to prove their functionality and durability. There are a few well known manufacturers who have been building these units for some time. The LQ conversion industry puts its reputation on the line every time it installs one of these units. When you search for the interior you want in a LQ, look at the appliances. You will see common names repeatedly featured regardless of the trailer brands.

Proper maintenance is paramount. Bugs and dirt find their way into the smallest gas orifice, and will cause the flame to burn improperly or not at all. Most maintenance consists of a few inspections and the occasional cleaning or removal of a bug's nest.

A proper CO and smoke detecter is manditory. And since some only last five years, they should be replaced when necessary.

The best part of a LQ is the comfort and utility provided by these appliances. To delete them would be to deny yourselves one of the features a LQ affords. Also, if you change your mind later and decide you do want them, it would almost involve a rebuild to plumb your trailer for the gas service and install the appliances along with new cabinetry. The trailer would be less valuable and desirable as a trade without them, and you would end up with little more than an expensive  sleeping quarters.

Tanks can be filled or quickly exchanged at a multitude of sources. Depending on the number, size and usage will determine how long they will last between fillings. It takes only a couple of minutes to effect a tank change and it's not difficult.

BOL  Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-03-13 10:28 AM (#79452 - in reply to #79419)

Expert

I use my propane to run the fridge, which I leave on most of the summer, so I have cold drinks when go someplace.  Unlike you folks who are worried about A/C (which I rarely use) most of my camp outs are in the mountains and involve  running the furnace at night.  Especially during the spring and fall rides. Last weeks ride it was 25* at night.  I really enjoy setting the thermostate to 65-70* and going to bed. Waking up in the AM and not rushing to get cloths on because it cold.

I might refill my propane bottles once a summer. Not a big deal, Stop by the local supplier and in 10 minutes 2 bottles are topped off.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)