'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
rainrot maybe ringworm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-03-10 8:58 PM
4 replies, 3862 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Doc
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-02-29 6:49 AM (#78293)
Subject: rainrot maybe ringworm

Hello everyone. I was looking at some picture of rainrot and it doesn't look like this is it. Now I am thinking it maybe ring worm. But still trying the beditine i think it will work ok.Thanks again for the info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-29 9:10 AM (#78302 - in reply to #78293)
Subject: RE: rainrot maybe ringworm

Elite Veteran

Ringworm/fungus   rainrot/bacteria.......I believe iodine works on both. Good luck.

The bacterium associated with rainrot has fungal characteristics.

Edited by Gone 2008-03-02 7:01 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-29 1:18 PM (#78340 - in reply to #78293)

Expert

they are both fungal infections and therefore can be treated similarly

Horseman's dream makes a lovely product called fung-away and it says it cures ringworm on the label but I've used it for just about anything under the sun and a little goes a long way.  It does not burn or sting when applied.

http://www.rods.com/pl/Tack,104016_L,147,5761_Horsemans-Dream-Fung-Away.html

If the problem is ringworm be sure to check yourself for infection and always wash your hands after touching your horse and his tack.  (I'd also run off any stray barn cats as they can be a source of infection.)

Iodine shampoo can be mixed into a bucket of water and used to soak your brushes and then used to scrub down any other items needing sanitation.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-29 6:49 PM (#78385 - in reply to #78293)

Veteran

If it is ringworm you should shave the areas around it as ringworm feeds on keratin.  One easy way to tell is to go out to the barn tonight and use a black light on it.  If it glows, it's ringworm.  Ringworm is fastest gotten rid of when exposed to the sun.  It is highly contagious so disinfect EVERYTHING daily.  If you start seeing purple spots on your arm, you've got it.
RACING2WINFIRST
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-03-10 8:58 PM (#79246 - in reply to #78293)

New User

hey doc...i don't know where you live, but i'm from the south, where there is a LOT of rain rot.  the best thing we ever found to treat and prevent it is Captan.  Captan is a fungicide for flowers and since rain rot is a fungus, it is the best thing we ever found to use.  we would mix about 1/3 Captan & 2/3 water and spray on the rain rot.  i even had a horse that would get it so easy that instead of leaving him in the stall all day, i would spray him down, in the morning before i turned him out and then spray him at night, when i brought him in and he Never got it again.  i guess you can say, this is an "old timers" or "redneck", LOL, treatment, but it works Great.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)