'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hauling laws

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-26 10:33 AM
6 replies, 5492 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-21 12:20 PM (#77519)
Subject: hauling laws

Hi, Regarding laws effecting long distance hauling... I vaguely remember someone telling me that you HAD to stop and rest the horses for a certain number of hours within each 24-hour period when hauling cross country (the stress of constant balancing and sometimes a mild respiratory problem from not dropping their heads to clear dust and debris from throat and lungs).  Maybe this was something I read about humane treatment of horses for slaughter?  I don't remember, does anyone know?

THANK YOU !!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-02-21 12:59 PM (#77525 - in reply to #77519)
Subject: RE: hauling laws

Extreme Veteran

I've never heard of any such laws. It's a good idea to stop and let a horse rest, even better to let it out of the trailer to move aroundand put it's head down.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-02-21 2:07 PM (#77534 - in reply to #77519)

Veteran

Its not a law as far as the government, but a law as far as horse owners. You should always stop every 6-8 hours and let your horse out of the trailer to stretch. Also when on long hauls give your horses enough slack when tied to drop their head while in the trailer this helps almost eliminate the risk of respiratory problems, also if you are feeding hay while hauling you can put a little water on the hay to keep the amount of dust in the trailer down. When we are on long hauls and we stop to stretch the horses the first thing my wifes horse will do is roll I usually let him roll because some horses roll as a way of stretching. In conclusion its not a law, but a must for anyone who cares for their horse.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-02-21 3:57 PM (#77547 - in reply to #77519)

Expert

There is no government law as far as individual horse owners go but it is best to stop. I do a few long hauls (over 24 hours) each year and usually stop only for food, fuel, potty breaks, and to sleep. My trailer is very safe and comfortable for my horses so I don't get them out. In fact, the only time I would ever unload them is if I overnighted at a farm that I knew was safe. I have overnighted before at "horse motels" and it was not always a great experience at all. Little bedding was offered, stalls were not particularly clean or safe, and my horses were not happy with the surroundings, which is strange because we go to shows and they have never been upset with those surroundings. Anyhow, just make sure that you offer water (don't be suprised though if they don't want to drink for a long time), stop every 4-6 hours to let them pee and rest while you do the same. Your horses will be fine.
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2008-02-21 6:49 PM (#77561 - in reply to #77519)

Extreme Veteran

There must be laws for commercial haulers.  When I was doing endurance we'd sometimes drive all day to get to the rides.  Granted my horses are used to hauling and are quiet to load and unload.  I'd stop every 3-4 hrs, get fuel, use the bathroom and take my horse out for a few min. to walk around and graze if there was grass.  we've unloaded in truck stops (smaller quiet ones) and used their hose to hose the horse down during the summer.  It depends on the horse and the situation weather it's safe to unload while you stop for a break.

AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-02-25 2:59 PM (#77924 - in reply to #77519)

Thank you for the great input. I too believe in stopping to rest the horses. I wanted to be sure I knew what I was talking about before having a discussion with a certain hauler. Thanks again, I always know I can get good input from this site!
HTWOK
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-02-26 10:33 AM (#78016 - in reply to #77519)

Regular

I am supposed to be getting some information on this new law that someone is trying to pass.  If it is legit I will pass it on.  Also, if you are have a horse that does not want to drink water when it is offered, try filling a turkey baster wioth saline water and squirting it in the morses mouth.  The water makes them thirsty.  It works on my horses.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)