'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQs, cost of later additions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-23 9:10 PM
5 replies, 3637 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

amysbean
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2008-02-23 9:05 AM (#77708)
Subject: LQs, cost of later additions

Regular

in trying to keep costs down (ordering a new trailer), are there things that i can add later that won't cost MORE to add later on? 

for example, i was thinking about having it wired for a generator, but buying a generator later.  or adding an awning later.  suggestions?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-02-23 11:11 AM (#77731 - in reply to #77708)
Subject: RE: LQs, cost of later additions

Expert

This is the same process I go through when I build a new home for somebody.

I tell them to do the things that are hard to change later.  The things that are easy to add can wait for the budget to catch up.

It's hard to change the windows out later but it's easy to add a two tone  paint job later.

It's hard to brick a house later, but it's easy to change out the light fixtures later.

For a trailer, it's wasy to add a generator, Especially if it's pre-wired.

An awning bolts onto the side of the trailer. Unless you need to run power (for a power awning) it's not a difficult add on.

You can add a TV later, but it's nice to have the wiring in place.

Same for gas appliances. You can cut a hole in the countertop for a stove later, but snaking a gas pipe through is more difficult.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 11:18 AM (#77732 - in reply to #77708)

Expert

It all depends on what you have now and what you want to add later. For instance, if you have a bare dressing room and later want to finish it off or add a LQ, you should install any wiring that would be later covered by a finished interior. If you want additional load lights or a porch light, outside speakers or lighted assist handle, these items will be difficult to install and wire when the interior is covered.

If you are in the process of purchasing a trailer, and plan on a later LQ, you can order from most manufacturers, camper doors, windows, frame spacing for plumbing and holding tanks, A/C roof supports, egress windows in the bunk area, and walk through doors etc. You should also consider a heavier axle/wheel combination to carry the anticipated extra weight. Some DR trailers will be overweight when a LQ interior is added.

To later add these items would cost more, than during your initial purchase.

BOL Gard

reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 11:34 AM (#77734 - in reply to #77708)

Regular

Easy things to add at a later date: generator- prewire isnt necessary. Most places that will do an install would prefer to run their own wires. Satellite dish - easy addition at any time. Only takes a few hours for install & set up. Hayrack - can be installed at any time. Hydraulic jacks - a great option, but can save your budget if you add at a later date. Just a couple of items I have added to trailers I have bought over the years.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 11:36 AM (#77735 - in reply to #77708)

Regular

Oh, and you could have a cabinet over the stove pre-wired for a microwave. The ones that I have seen have the cabinet built and wired with a 110 plug and then you can just drop in a microwave purchased at a later date. If you won't be using the AC often, you can just have the trailer framed & wired for AC and then add that at a later date.
coltaffyjo
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2008-02-23 9:10 PM (#77778 - in reply to #77708)

Regular

I have preferred having a free standing or portable generator---I use my Honda inverter around the farm when repairing fence boards that are broken--just start the generator and use the circular saw plugged right where I need!!! Just a suggestion that might save you the cost of switches, tanks and wiring. I also think the larger porta potty is a much better solution than built in.....The reasons I think this are;1. Porta pottys can be dumped in any bathroom and refilled with fresh water-hard to do with any LQ. when the toilet runneth over!! 2. Can't crack the tank under the trailer. 3 easy to winterize. I always felt like Robin WIlliams from the movie RV when dumping the tanks on our LQ!! I will suggest lots of counter space and plugs if you are doing a LQ.......We always did community kitchen out of our horse trailer!! we would have the crock pots going with the griddle or quesadilla maker and toaster!!! ENJOY!! Paul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)