'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New to hauling/Towing with a Range Rover

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-18 3:45 AM
11 replies, 6196 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ragga Polo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-17 8:00 AM (#77025)
Subject: New to hauling/Towing with a Range Rover

New User

Hello -

I've decided to purchase my first trailer, and I'd really appreciate some advice from people with experience hauling.

First of all, does anybody have advice for hauling with an SUV?  I have a Range Rover Sport (not purchased for towing purposes, haha), which luckily ended up having a respectable maximum braked towing weight of 7700 lbs.  I know that towing can put strain on a vehicle, so what are the long term effects of towing on an SUV? 

I've been considering a 2 or 3 horse slant, but after reading a few posts, it seems that the consensus is, when you're towing 3+ horses, you really want to go with a gooseneck.  Is this about right?  I was looking at a 2800 lb 2-3 horse stock, and figured I could haul 2 horses (under 1000 lbs each).

Currently, my tallest horse is about 15'2", but I'm looking at a horse that's a shade over 16 hands.  Is it possible to haul a 16 hand horse in a 6'6" high trailer, or would i need a 7'?

As far as brands go, I have a few leads on some smaller Ponderosa trailers.  I know that they're a lower-end manufacturer, but are they a good option for my first trailer?  I live in Los Angeles, so the steel vs. aluminum issue is really only one of weight, not rust.

Aside from a hitch, what else will I need to have installed for a towing package?  How much do towing packages usually run?  Is it worth going to my Land Rover dealership to have the work done, or should I spend less $$ and go to a trailer shop?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-17 8:46 AM (#77035 - in reply to #77025)
Subject: RE: New to hauling/Towing with a Range Rover

Veteran

Long term effects of towing are, there's no long term. LOL. Just kidding. If you maintain everything and stay within the design limits of the vehicle you should be OK. Sure, the vehicle won't last as long as it would if you never towed with it, but the same can be said about boots you never get dirty. That said, I just looked at the payload/towing capacity of your car and the max. towing weight for unbraked is only 1653 lbs. That's a lot of faith being put on the trailer brake.
Ragga Polo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-17 8:55 AM (#77036 - in reply to #77025)

New User

Hello,

Thanks so much for the reply. So, given the discrepancy between the maximum capacity for braked vs. unbraked, should I estimate the maximum braked towing weight to be less than listed? Thanks!
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-02-17 9:11 AM (#77038 - in reply to #77025)

Veteran

No, I'd go by what the engineers who designed the vehicle state. They know as much about it as anyone. I'm just pointing out that the vehicle itself does not have a lot of braking capacity. If you're towing 7k and you find yourself in an emergency braking situation, your and your horses' safety will be largely depending on the trailer brakes. Worth considering when choosing what to tow.

What kind of towing are you going to do with the car? Local stuff, or long highway trips? You can get away with larger loads if you don't have to deal with high speeds or long distances.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-02-17 9:47 AM (#77041 - in reply to #77025)

Expert

Originally written by Ragga Polo on 2008-02-17 8:00 AM

As far as brands go, I have a few leads on some smaller Ponderosa trailers.  I know that they're a lower-end manufacturer, but are they a good option for my first trailer?  I live in Los Angeles, so the steel vs. aluminum issue is really only one of weight, not rust.

I'm not going to get into the towing capacity issues,my opinion of towing with a Range Rover wouldn't agree with what others replying to you would be.But I can tell you about Ponderosa.I've owned one and they are made here in my state.

A 2H BP would be OK,but a 3H would be heavy.Ponderosa is all steel albeit a lower priced trailer,and they are not lightweight.If I were going to try for a 3H BP I'd go aluminum.Be sure to find out what the unloaded weight of a 2H BP Steel trailer from Ponderosa will weigh first.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-02-17 10:34 AM (#77044 - in reply to #77035)

Expert

Originally written by Towfoo on 2008-02-17 9:46 AM

Long term effects of towing are, there's no long term. LOL. Just kidding. If you maintain everything and stay within the design limits of the vehicle you should be OK. Sure, the vehicle won't last as long as it would if you never towed with it, but the same can be said about boots you never get dirty. That said, I just looked at the payload/towing capacity of your car and the max. towing weight for unbraked is only 1653 lbs. That's a lot of faith being put on the trailer brake.

Damn right thats alot of faith in the brake controller,  truck brakes stop the truck, trailer brakes stop the trailer PERIOD.  To assume otherwise is asking for a wreck.  Yes the brakes on my 2500HD by theirself will stop the trailer, but then so would the brakes on my Trailblazer.  BTW my 2500HD is only allowed a 2000# "unbraked" trailer, the Trailblazer was allowed 1500#........doesnt look like GM had any more faith in the trucks brakes than I do.

Edited by chadsalt 2008-02-17 10:46 AM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-02-17 10:41 AM (#77045 - in reply to #77025)

Expert

Ragga Polo,

You should have no problem towing a 2H trailer with your RR.  I am not fond of any 3H/16' stock BP.  They allow for weight to be loaded behind the axles, sometimes by accident, and can give the trailer an attitude.  Get a good brake controller and a WDH if necessary.  7' tall would be a better choice than 6'6".

As already mentioned towing puts more strain on the vehicle than not towing.......same is true for a larger truck.  Youve got to pay to play.  Good luck.

Edited by chadsalt 2008-02-17 10:48 AM
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-02-17 10:58 AM (#77048 - in reply to #77025)

Expert

You would also need a heavy duty transmission cooler, brake control, and a decent gear ratio in the rear end,  and an oil cooler might not be a bad idea, along with a larger aftermarket radiator, alot depends on the terrain, speed, and load.  You might consider a heavier type tire also.  I would really consider getting a truck and gooseneck combination but that's just me...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 5:32 PM (#77091 - in reply to #77025)

Expert

We used to own a Ford Expedition, factory equipped with a tow package and all the heavy duty equipment that was available. I believe it had a towing capacity of around #7500. We pulled an 18' BP three horse stock combo for about three months with fairly good results. One day while carrying a mare and foal we had to swerve at speed. The trailer pushed the Ford and we were out of control for some distance.

The next day we resumed using our old truck, and never used the SUV for pulling again. We have only used trucks since then, and don't intend to change.

As others have stated, any vehicle has to be properly prepared for trailering. The added strain on the drive train will include various suspension upgrades, additional oil coolers, hitches and proper tires. Unfortunately changing axle ratios is costly, 2x on a 4 x 4, so most owners tow with what they have, regardless if it is the proper one or not.

Most RR dealers charge obscene labour prices. For any modifications I would try a well equipped RV dealership first. You do not have to use brand specific after market accessories.

A well equipped truck is the best towing vehicle, if it fits into your lifestyle and budget.

BOL  Gard

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 6:26 PM (#77096 - in reply to #77091)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2008-02-17 6:32 PM

We used to own a Ford Expedition, factory equipped with a tow package and all the heavy duty equipment that was available. I believe it had a towing capacity of around #7500. We pulled an 18' BP three horse stock combo for about three months with fairly good results. One day while carrying a mare and foal we had to swerve at speed. The trailer pushed the Ford and we were out of control for some distance.

The next day we resumed using our old truck, and never used the SUV for pulling again. We have only used trucks since then, and don't intend to change.

As others have stated, any vehicle has to be properly prepared for trailering. The added strain on the drive train will include various suspension upgrades, additional oil coolers, hitches and proper tires. Unfortunately changing axle ratios is costly, 2x on a 4 x 4, so most owners tow with what they have, regardless if it is the proper one or not.

Most RR dealers charge obscene labour prices. For any modifications I would try a well equipped RV dealership first. You do not have to use brand specific after market accessories.

A well equipped truck is the best towing vehicle, if it fits into your lifestyle and budget.

BOL  Gard

Did you have a WDH or anti-sway unit installed??

Ragga Polo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-17 8:47 PM (#77115 - in reply to #77025)

New User

Wow- I'm so glad I posted on this site! Thank you, everybody, for your feedback. I would be trailering locally (less than 2-hour drive), and no more than once a week, tops. It definitely sounds like I have some more research and thinking to do -

Yes, ideally I would like to get the truck/trailer combo, and I most likely will. I guess I just have to weigh my options and see if I'm ready to make that investment now. Thanks again for your help!
mjsparky363
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-02-18 3:45 AM (#77130 - in reply to #77025)

I was in the same situation in I didn't buy my truck as a tow vehicle.  Went we needed to tow with it I tried 4 different trailers, all 2h BP and found a used Trailer USA with a "V" nose.  It tows fantastic behind my truck (4.6L F150), 7'-6" high gives the horse a lot of "open air".  I installed air bags on my truck but the RR has them standard.  We have towed a few thousand miles now and the combo is great.  Just service the RR for "extreme duty" per the maintance schedule and enjoy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)