'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help with wall paneling in DIY LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-04 10:35 PM
3 replies, 3965 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-02-04 9:14 PM (#76072)
Subject: Help with wall paneling in DIY LQ

I can not figure out what kind of paneling the conversion companies use in their LQ's. I am looking for the "wall paper" look and not the "wood paneling". I found paneling that has the "wall paper" look but it says that it can not be put right on to the furing(sp?) strips, and that it has to be glued onto a solid wall. I had no intentions of putting a "solid" wall up other then the paneling. Does anyone know what the conversion companies do to hang their paneling and make it look so professional? 

Any help would be great...thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-04 10:03 PM (#76076 - in reply to #76072)
Subject: RE: Help with wall paneling in DIY LQ

Veteran

I'm just going to guess here but there are only a few ways to put a finish on a trailer wall. 1. Fasten on either prefinished or unfinished paneling with screws, nails, or glue. 2. If using unfinished paneling, then paint, or cover with wall paper, or vinyl, or leather by using adhesive. This would cover any fasteners, but one would assume thin paper would show any fastener heads, thus you would assume the paneling underneath was glued. I would think that some of the nicer embossed wall coverings that simulate leather or cloth would be glued to a solid panel of some type after all the panels were installed. 3. It is possible to use just contruction adhesive to apply wall panels, plus there are a lot of double sided tapes that are used in the business now that are instant stick (3m trim tapes) but you always have panel seams that must be covered by trim strips, these must be either screwed, glued or use some mechancal means of fastening. My suggestion would be to look closly at some of the higher end lqs at a show..If you look closely, I would say you could figure out how it is done. Ask the salespersons, or contact one of the better conversion co's and ask them.

One last thought, most prefinished panels of any type if you use fasteners through the paneling use some type of decorative head on the fastener...you see these in a lot of rv's and lq's. Obviously, you would not want to just use panening nails on a panel that had nice wall paper or vinyl on it.  Some of the fasteners have covers that you can either paint, or use a piece of wall paper or vinyl that matches your panel finish and a small piece is cut and snapped into the cover so the cover actually matches your wall covering...go to a RV dealer and check out some of the top end units...you'll get some ideas.

Edited by martyg 2008-02-04 10:10 PM
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-04 10:06 PM (#76077 - in reply to #76072)

Charter Member

I don't know what they use, but we encountered a similar issue and found some panels @ Lowe's for $5.99 ea (4x8 size). They appear to be the same as that brown paneling with all the holes in it that people use in shops and stuff (peg board or something I think is what its called). I don't know if it is considered sturdy enough or not, but it seems like a reasonable panel to use underneath something that requires a backbaord.

FL_BWAB
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2008-02-04 10:35 PM (#76088 - in reply to #76076)

Originally written by martyg on 2008-02-04 11:03 PM

I'm just going to guess here but there are only a few ways to put a finish on a trailer wall. 1. Fasten on either prefinished or unfinished paneling with screws, nails, or glue. 2. If using unfinished paneling, then paint, or cover with wall paper, or vinyl, or leather by using adhesive. This would cover any fasteners, but one would assume thin paper would show any fastener heads, thus you would assume the paneling underneath was glued. I would think that some of the nicer embossed wall coverings that simulate leather or cloth would be glued to a solid panel of some type after all the panels were installed. 3. It is possible to use just contruction adhesive to apply wall panels, plus there are a lot of double sided tapes that are used in the business now that are instant stick (3m trim tapes) but you always have panel seams that must be covered by trim strips, these must be either screwed, glued or use some mechancal means of fastening. My suggestion would be to look closly at some of the higher end lqs at a show..If you look closely, I would say you could figure out how it is done. Ask the salespersons, or contact one of the better conversion co's and ask them.

One last thought, most prefinished panels of any type if you use fasteners through the paneling use some type of decorative head on the fastener...you see these in a lot of rv's and lq's. Obviously, you would not want to just use panening nails on a panel that had nice wall paper or vinyl on it.  Some of the fasteners have covers that you can either paint, or use a piece of wall paper or vinyl that matches your panel finish and a small piece is cut and snapped into the cover so the cover actually matches your wall covering...go to a RV dealer and check out some of the top end units...you'll get some ideas.

I did not think it would be this hard but I want it to look nice so I think that is what I will do. I did think of getting the cheaper paneling and wall papering it myself, but that seemed like so much work. I guess that is why it costs so much money for the conversion companies to put these things together. I am finding out the hard way that there is alot more to it then meets the eye.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)