'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ ?...water lines

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-31 12:29 PM
21 replies, 9602 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 8:42 AM (#70142)
Subject: LQ ?...water lines

Regular

It is offically COLD in Ohio these mornings...yuck! We just bought a C&C LQ and the water tank is full, I think it is 50 gallon. We currently have the trailer plugged in and plan on using it through January if not all winter. Do I need to do anything with the tank to keep it from freezing? Should we just drain the water until we go to use it again? Sorry if this is a dumb question....first timers here..LOL.

Also, is it odd that there is no outside water spiquet? Wouldn't it make sense to have one? Would it be hard to install? Were would I take it?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 9:04 AM (#70146 - in reply to #70142)
Subject: RE: LQ ?...water lines

Expert

Once the weather produces sub freezing weather, you will have to winterize your trailer which involves purging your water system and installing anti-freeze. If you do not, the water lines under your cabinets and flooring will freeze and split, causing expensive repairs. Just draining your tank will not accomplish what you need to do. Your trailer warranty will not cover water damage from freezing.

Your owner's manual should explain the procedure, other threads posted on this forum are also helpful resources.

I've read where some owner keep heat in their lqs during the winter. If you were to use your trailer often, this might be a possibility. If you have a power failure, you have a problem.

There is no easy solution that I know of, if you plan on using your water system during the winter.

Installing an outside spigot is not difficult. It can be a DIY or an easy small job for a plumber.

BOL  Gard

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 10:08 AM (#70153 - in reply to #70142)

Expert

http://www.rvsecrets.com/winterize.htm

http://www.thecampingsource.com/item/RV__Winterizing_a_RV/id/561/category.aspx

http://www.gonecamping.net/stories/winterize.html

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-29 10:32 AM (#70157 - in reply to #70142)

Elite Veteran

I keep a ceramic space heater on in my trailer all winter.  I drain my water tank and hot water heater and make sure the access doors are open in the LQ to those areas so there is heat to the pipes and tank all winter.   Also open cabinet doors under kitchen and bathroom sink. 
reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 1:36 PM (#70163 - in reply to #70142)

Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will prob go with the space heater until I know I am done showing for the winter!
SuperFly
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-01 7:23 AM (#70302 - in reply to #70142)

Ditto on the ceramic heater (plugged into an outlet from the house or barn with an extension cord...then its more obvious when the power goes out)...just make sure to open up the cabinet doors...of course this is also texas..."cold" equals low 20's upper teens when it gets BAD......
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-01 1:44 PM (#70314 - in reply to #70302)

Expert

Originally written by SuperFly on 2007-11-01 7:23 AM

Ditto on the ceramic heater (plugged into an outlet from the house or barn with an extension cord...then its more obvious when the power goes out)...just make sure to open up the cabinet doors...of course this is also texas..."cold" equals low 20's upper teens when it gets BAD......

Remember to SIZE your extension cord based on length of cord and electric draw of the appliance...

Here is a simple calculator for you...

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Or you may be dealing with a whole new set of problems...

Edited by PaulChristenson 2007-11-01 1:45 PM
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-11-02 7:51 PM (#70401 - in reply to #70142)

Veteran

i have friends with a hart lq and they put a ceramic heater in on cold nights and open the cabinets and they have had no problem but we are in tn. so it is usually in the mid to lower 30's in the winter time...congrads on your trailer i have looked at them and they are nice trailers... happy trails
halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-11-06 12:22 PM (#70558 - in reply to #70142)

Veteran

While we do occasionally have a pretty good freeze hereabouts, it's usually molds and mildew that cause problems in LQ and RV rigs in this climate. The moisture condenses on overheads and walls, and can really wreak havoc on fabrics, floor coverings and woodwork.I have found the smaller oil-filled radiator type heaters do a great job of keeping the inside dry and mildew free - and they use a LOT less power than the ceramic radiant heaters. I keep mine set on low, and while it's not "warm" in the trailer, it is DRY and well above freezing.Ditto making sure your power cord is big enough - I actually had an old worn end on one melt down, though the rest of the cord is fine. Put a brand new set of ends on it and all is well again! IF you can put your hand on the plug, or the cord within and inch of so of the plug, and feel it's warm, you have either too much current draw or not enough cord - or both.
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-27 12:19 PM (#75377 - in reply to #70157)

Charter Member

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-10-29 10:32 AM

I keep a ceramic space heater on in my trailer all winter.  I drain my water tank and hot water heater and make sure the access doors are open in the LQ to those areas so there is heat to the pipes and tank all winter.   Also open cabinet doors under kitchen and bathroom sink. 

Is this not a fire risk???

I guess I'm just a weenie, but we live in an OLD farmhouse without central heat/air. We have dearborn heaters and space heaters and won't even leave one of those running if I am leaving the house.

reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-28 3:34 PM (#75459 - in reply to #70142)

Regular

I just want to say we ended up trying the heater trick only to end up with a cracked water pump due to it freezing anyway. Of course we didn't know it was cracked until we went to turn it on at a show and water sprayed everywhere! We have now winterized but I am worried something has happened to the pipes as well. So from now on..we WILL winterize no matter what!!!
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 4:35 PM (#75466 - in reply to #70142)

Expert

If you really want to use your LQ all winter, you can winterize your trailer in about 10 minutes if you buy an extra water tank, and a 12 volt water pump. Total cost should be less than $100 mount the tank and the pump to a piece of plywood, fill it with anti-freeze, and pump it into your trailer through the city water connection. This way you don't have to flush your fresh water tank, of the anti-freeze. I use it to winterize everything from horse trailers, 5th wheel, sea-doos, and even my boat(hooked up through the ear muffs). I couldn't live without it.

First drain water heater, bypass it if possible, turn on pump and go open faucets till it runs pink, same with shower and don't forget the toilet. Less than 10 minutes.

walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 5:36 PM (#75469 - in reply to #70142)

Elite Veteran

I know they have heated holding tanks on MH and I think holding tanks.  You can get a heater like thing and install it your self.  You can never over -winterize.
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-28 5:41 PM (#75471 - in reply to #75466)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-01-28 4:35 PM

If you really want to use your LQ all winter, you can winterize your trailer in about 10 minutes if you buy an extra water tank, and a 12 volt water pump. Total cost should be less than $100 mount the tank and the pump to a piece of plywood, fill it with anti-freeze, and pump it into your trailer through the city water connection. This way you don't have to flush your fresh water tank, of the anti-freeze. I use it to winterize everything from horse trailers, 5th wheel, sea-doos, and even my boat(hooked up through the ear muffs). I couldn't live without it.

First drain water heater, bypass it if possible, turn on pump and go open faucets till it runs pink, same with shower and don't forget the toilet. Less than 10 minutes.

HWbar is referring to RV Antifreeze, which is the only antifreeze you could use in the water lines. The Antifreeze you use in your vehicle radiator is very toxic.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 5:53 PM (#75472 - in reply to #75471)

Expert

Originally written by BigT on 2008-01-28 5:41 PM

Originally written by HWBar on 2008-01-28 4:35 PM

HWbar is referring to RV Antifreeze, which is the only antifreeze you could use in the water lines. The Antifreeze you use in your vehicle radiator is very toxic.

Yes, the pink stuff, I winterize everything with it. Including my boat and sea-doos. Sorry for not being clearer.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-01-28 7:04 PM (#75474 - in reply to #75472)

Expert

The problem with a ceramic heater, is that heat rises. An a lot of the pipes are on the floor or they penetrate through the floor. Which will be the absolute coldest spot in the trailer. Even with a heater running, The floor can be cold enough to freeze.

Most of the plumbing in modern LQ is made from PEX (plastic pipe) PEX will tolerate water freezing in it. It will expand and recover after the freeze. What usually burst is older style copper pipe, the fittings, and or items such as the water pumps and water heaters. Most of these items are located under the couch on the floor. Most floors are not insulated and they usually have penetration where the drains go through the flooring.  Also in the drains that use ABS black plastic pipe, which is more brittle and will burst the "P traps" when they freeze.

In Texas where a cold night is high 20's, Yeah maybe the ceramic heater will work. We spent last week here, with night time lows are around 0* and daytime highs of 16*-20*.  If I had water in my system it would be frozen.  As a builder I have to be careful not to place water supply lines in exterior walls of homes that I build.  Even with a water pipe in a 2x6" wall full of insulation and a warm interior of the home on the sheetrock side, we still see frozen pipes during the January freeze.

Some RV's and Campers offer Winter insulation packages. These heat the waste water tanks, add insulation under the floor and make sure the placement of pipes is not close cold surface areas.  It helps for those who use their units year round in cold climates.  But the average LQ does not have this.

I would suggest you look at your local weather. If you have temperature drops below 26*-28* for extended periods. I would drain the water and fill with the pink RV antifreeze.

Edited by Painted Horse 2008-01-28 7:08 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-29 8:43 AM (#75514 - in reply to #70142)

Expert

Another way to quickly purge the water lines of water is to use compressed air. Anyone with an air compressor can purchase an adaptor that will allow the introduction of air into the curb part of the water system.

Air is forced into the plumbing which displaces the water. The faucets and toilet are purged as you would with antifreeze. An adaptor fitting usually costs less than $5. You must not exceed your water system's operating pressure with the compressed air pressure. The water tank still has to be drained each time you want to winterize the trailer.

For those people who are constantly using their equipment and supplying a heat source to alleviate freezing, this is an ideal way, and much less expensive way, to eliminate the need for constant antifreeze changes.

This process is commonly used in the RV and marine communities and works quite well.

BOL  gard

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-29 12:22 PM (#75534 - in reply to #75514)

Expert

We never winterized anything in S. Tx, so this was new to us when we moved here.  Last year we used the RV antifreeze and it took forever to get the smell out of the water.  My neighbour told us about the compressed years and said he has used the air for years and has never had a problem.  We tried it this year on our camper and I'm hoping he was right.  We ran each faucet/toilet until the water quit sputtering out so hopefully we got it all.  We've had a few nights with low teens.
reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 2:27 PM (#75621 - in reply to #70142)

Regular

Now that I am thinking about it...I don't think my hubby ever drained the hot water heater! ARG! I know he attempted too but didn't have a rachett (sp) big enough to get the bolt off. Is this going to cause more damage? Can we do anything now? It was 25 below with windchill this morning...

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 2:52 PM (#75624 - in reply to #75621)

Expert

Originally written by reddun25 on 2008-01-30 2:27 PM

Now that I am thinking about it...I don't think my hubby ever drained the hot water heater! ARG! I know he attempted too but didn't have a rachett (sp) big enough to get the bolt off. Is this going to cause more damage? Can we do anything now? It was 25 below with windchill this morning...

2. Can windchill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe?

A. The only effect windchill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the windchill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-30 7:58 PM (#75659 - in reply to #70142)

Expert

I would drain the water heater as soon as possible. Unlike your trailer's plumbing which involves flexible hoses, your tank is rigid. If the water freezes inside, it can expand and ruin the heater. When your husband purged the system he closed the water heater by pass valves. This traps water in the heater. If you can't remove the drain, grab the anode with a pair of pliers, anything to get the water out.

Gard

reddun25
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2008-01-31 12:29 PM (#75724 - in reply to #70142)

Regular

That's what I was afraid of! Thanks Gard!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)