'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
showpen longeline training

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-29 8:51 AM
3 replies, 3040 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-28 8:11 AM (#75425)
Subject: showpen longeline training

Regular

Hi,

Have been showing pleasure horses for years but this year am going to dabble in longeline classes with a POA yearling filly. Really just wondering how much to work her - don't want to stress her knees & joints obviously - but don't want to underwork her as well. 15 minutes daily? Is that too much? I also planned to pony her out in the fields 1-2 twice a week for a leisurely hour mostly walking but with some light trotting. I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Sarah
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-01-28 11:40 AM (#75443 - in reply to #75425)
Subject: RE: showpen longeline training

Expert

Instead of working her on a line why not use a round pen or even an arena and free longe her? Its easier on her joints, you can trainer her to move with your body language and position and it really only takes a few minute a day especially if the filly has lots of turn out ( which she should anyway, after all she is just a baby)

I don't think a filly would need 15 mins of work on a longe line. Youngesters don't have a long attention span so if you can work her a few minutes, get something done, then walk away.  Personally, I don't like longe line classes but thats just me.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-01-29 8:31 AM (#75513 - in reply to #75425)

Expert

Make sure she really knows how to lead before starting the long line training...including reading subtle body language and verbal cues.  (This will save you time and her joints from long fights over these topics.)

Free work in a round pen is good but will not fully prepare a long line baby.  Some good rules of thumb are that you needn't feed them "rocket fuel", feed that is over 16% protein can cause babies to get hot.  Always watch her pastern/cannon bone joint, any swelling in the shape of a donut around the ends of the cannon bone should be dealt with ASAP, the condition is described below and can indicate feed problems and overwork.  Do your research and monitor your baby's little legs daily!

I also believe that a larger percent of futurity babies suffer from premature lameness due to overwork of their immature bodies.

Epiphysitis
The growth plates located at each end of the long bones are also called epiphyseal plates. An inflammation of these growth plates is called epiphysitis and is characterized by swelling near the ends of the bones. Although the youngster may be lame during the active phase of epiphysitis, the lameness diminishes once the area ossifies. The area will often be permanently enlarged leaving the youngster with knobby knees or ankles. Epiphysitis usually affects weanlings and yearlings, however it may affect horses as old as 2-1/2 years of age.

Your veterinarian will probably suggest some changes to your youngster's diet and will probably prescribe stall rest for four to six weeks. She may also suggest changes in the way the youngster's feet are trimmed. The dietary changes often include a reduction in protein and reduction or elimination of grain and concentrates.

sskinner
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-01-29 8:51 AM (#75517 - in reply to #75425)

Regular

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I should probably scale back a little once I do start working her - luckily we can work on in hand trail obstacles as well which will only help with her ground handling skills. She is on a 14% sweet feed mix right now but I'm considering switching her to straight oats & top dressing with a mineral supplement such as Source and adding an biotin supplement as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)