'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sportchassis Owners......Do you have RV tags or Commercial?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-25 10:49 PM
9 replies, 6516 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3 Willows Farm
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 7:31 AM (#75263)
Subject: Sportchassis Owners......Do you have RV tags or Commercial?

Regular

I think there are several other sportchassis owners here so just trying to get some opinions.   Do yall classify your truck as an RV with your DMV and run RV tags on it or do you classify it as a truck and run commercial tags on it.   I just got the info to renew my tags this year and of course the commercial tags (for the weight I have listed) are $$$, which I knew they would be.  I am sure the RV tags are much cheaper but just wanted to know how many folks had gone the RV tag route and if you run into any problems by doing so?

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 8:42 AM (#75268 - in reply to #75263)
Subject: RE: Sportchassis Owners......Do you have RV tags or Commercial?

Regular

What state do you live in???
Are you pulling an RV or a Living Quarters ???
Did you get RV insurance on the truck ???

Please advise...

Thanks
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 8:48 AM (#75269 - in reply to #75263)

We are currently living in the state of Arkansas and they will not let us register out Sportchassis as an RV. They said that they used to, but said that since the title description had changed from RV Hauler to Freightliner Pick Up Truck it was now considered a business class truck. So we had to buy a weight tag, which because of it's size makes it a commercial tag. Our Dually  has a weight tag of 25K  combined weight so it is also considered commercial in this state.
3 Willows Farm
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 8:49 AM (#75271 - in reply to #75263)

Regular

I live in North Carolina and pull a  LQ trailer.  Have the truck insured with my local Farm Bureau as a truck.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 9:56 AM (#75276 - in reply to #75269)

Expert

We don't have our dually registered as commercial here,and they've never even asked us about it.It is just licensed as a regular truck.So are all of the duallys that I see running around town here.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-01-25 10:17 AM (#75277 - in reply to #75263)

Extreme Veteran

Can you put farm tags on it? I have an IH that has farm tags, Farm/truck/tractor I think is what the plate says on it, not sure if they do that in other states as well. Much cheaper than commercial tags.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 12:35 PM (#75284 - in reply to #75263)

Expert

I just did away with my "Farm Tags". They are only good up 150 miles from your home base, we travel alot farther than that. I just bought a regular "Weighted Tag", 25,000# will run you $388.00 per year, in North Carolina. This is on a regular 3500, 1 ton pickup, didn't ask about RV tags, etc.
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 12:47 PM (#75285 - in reply to #75268)

Regular

It is all going to boil down to this....Yes the classification is a "heavy duty pickup"..so the chance of getting "weight" tags is real...Getting RV tags is probably out since it does not have a fridge,commode,and microwave.....The trucks are RVIA approved which helps, but tagging and registering is a state to state basis.....Not all states look at these trucks the same as of now...Getting RV insurance is possible as long as you pull a LQ or an RV ,and that saves you alot of money on a premium compared to commercial insurance.....On the new M2 chassis',when they run the VIN#, it will come up "Business Class"...which all M2 chassis' today are called Business Class...delivery trucks,ambulance bodies,over the road tractors etc,etc....so "commercial" comes up real quick, your personal application is very important when it comes to talking your way out of a ticket from the man....Do not have anyone else's horse on the trailer so it looks like you are hauling for $$$...Keep logo's off the truck and trailer as much as possible...cause if they catch you making money....HELLO D.O.T !!!!!!...you know,... those guys who wake up lookin to ruin someone's day....You must keep in non-commercial to stay under the radar....
bcranch
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2008-01-25 6:59 PM (#75295 - in reply to #75263)

We have ours taged "Farm" but it only reduces the plate by 30.00.  We still have to pay high $$$$ for the tag because of it's weight and classification.  Insurance is very low as we have it insured with our trailer and Farm Bureau has it as a low milage farm truck.  But I seem to forget about all of this when my family, horses, dog and myself are heading up some scary mountain pass in the middle of Colorado on our annual summer vacation with no worries.   
mnhunter
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-01-25 10:49 PM (#75306 - in reply to #75263)

Every state may have a differant definition of an RV.  In MN, you must have certain things such as stove and refrigerator to meet the definition.  The things must be permanatly mounted in the vehicle.  It also limits use to vacation or recreation activities.  Each state may also have a differant definition of a farm truck and what it can be used for. Here you couldnt legally pull a horse trailer with a truck with farm plates unless it is being used for farm business.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)