'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a shell and adding LQ's? Pro's and Cons?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-06 3:29 PM
12 replies, 7446 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

paintsrfun
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-22 1:07 PM (#73292)
Subject: Buying a shell and adding LQ's? Pro's and Cons?

New User

What's the general consensus with buying a trailer shell then finding a conversion company not associated with that particular dealer to do the living quarters part?  I've been looking and looking for just the right set up for myself and have seen some come quiet close, but either the prices will break the bank or it just isn't exactly what I want.  I know I could go with a dealer and have one built but then there is no room for negotiating and have been quoted with prices that I just think are a little over the top.  I guess my main question here is... are you going to save money buying the shell and living quarters seperately or is it best to go through the dealership and have them take care of it together?  Thanks for any input. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-12-22 3:40 PM (#73296 - in reply to #73292)
Subject: RE: Buying a shell and adding LQ's? Pro's and Cons?

Expert

You will definately save money if you buy the shell, then pay someone to do the LQ. You get 2 opprotunities to negotiate on pricing. 1 on the shell and 1 on the package. You will have the chance to have a LQ that works for you. I am a little biased on this on as I do LQ's but I can show you an example where you will save $15K(low side) on a new trailer, based on 14' shortwall, 8' wide trailer, we are doing it right now.

The only drawback to it is you can go to a dealer and buy a stock unit and have your trailer done today, if you buy the shell and find a conversion company you are going to be at least 90 days in getting the finished trailer.

Edited by HWBar 2007-12-22 3:43 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-12-22 3:44 PM (#73297 - in reply to #73292)

Expert

You can pencil it out. Most converstion companies offer different packages as well as take your custom order- add the shell( shop around) plus your cost of the LQ vs a unit already done up at a dealer. If your looking for something thats very custom, it will be pricer than a standard package and it will take several weeks or longer, something to consider if time is an issue.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-12-22 6:31 PM (#73301 - in reply to #73292)

Expert

When you price out a LQ you can play the competition, which you can't do as well through a dealer. There are many conversion companies and each one does things a little differently. This difference may be what you are looking for. Just as in the purchase of a trailer, the first price you will receive in a conversion usually has some bargaining space added. It is price competitive and the individual companies are well aware of their competition.

One thing to consider is the empty trailer. It's imperative that the structure is strong enough to carry the additional weight of the LQ. Many dressing room trailers have lighter axles, smaller tires and wheels, with lighter frames because their gross weights are not designed for the heavier interiors.

Some structural features may have to be added at the trailer's manufacturer and not the conversion companies. This would include camper/screen doors, pass through doors and camper windows. Air conditioning roof bracing, escape windows and escape vents are usually a trailer option. These issues will have to be coordinated between the trailer manuf and the conversion co.

If you're willing to take the time to source out an al LQ conversion company and arrange the transportation of the trailer to and from his business, you can definitely save some money. More importantly, you can have the interior exactly as you want it.

BOL  Gard 

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-12-23 12:27 PM (#73318 - in reply to #73292)

Extreme Veteran

To play off of what gard said.

You also have to think about the layout of the LQ before you buy/order the shell. Black and grey water tanks need room underneath the trailer, and the trailer is built around those sizes. Also the refrig placement, once again the wall will need holes for vents, at least the lower side vent. So wall studs need to be cut and headered off.

Egress window, additional framing for roof A/C. Trailer jack....many have a lite duty single jack, spec dual jacks

wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-12-23 12:45 PM (#73321 - in reply to #73296)

Extreme Veteran

Off topic question for gard or HWBar.

The bulkhead wall on my GN is 48"...of course I'll build some sort of step to heave myself up there, but two steps would be better IMO. What do you like for step heights? One at 16" and another at 24" Or?

Dan

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-12-23 4:11 PM (#73324 - in reply to #73292)

Expert

I have done a few trailers were the dinette seat was the first step(16") and then the counter top was the second step(35") and it worked out just right.
Friedspam
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2007-12-24 1:55 PM (#73354 - in reply to #73292)

New User

We do a lot of conversion's, the only problem that we have ran into is folks putting to much weight on some of the light frame trailers. In other words trying to put to much into the trailer. Yes you will save a bunch of money by having us convert your stock trailer over. We install at our place, 2 horse up. Also will build to your specs., and ship to you for you to install.We do not sale trailers, we only do conversions.If you need more info, just drop me a line.Jim
paintsrfun
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2008-01-04 7:18 PM (#73772 - in reply to #73292)

New User

Thanks for all the help and letting me know that I do in fact have options.  I guess I should have mentioned that I'm in California because most everybody who responded is so far away.  I did figure I'm going to have to go out of the area which is sad, but the prices here just seem outrageous.  Again thanks for all the leads.  This has been the best forum I have seen and actually the first one that I thought I might actually get help on. 

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-05 10:31 AM (#73799 - in reply to #73292)

Charter Member

I have a shell and we are looking at options for a weekend package.

One place I priced (to have the conversion done) offered a 28% discount for "walk ins" (not going through a dealer. Of course...that was just what the paper said - I don't know if it's a true discount (they were kinda pricey anyhow) or if their stuff is WAY overpriced so they can make it look like a discount.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-05 12:23 PM (#73805 - in reply to #73292)

Expert

When we priced interiors, we were given costs less than a dealer's price if we handled the details ourselves with the LQ companies. The dealers typically charge a markup that range from 20% and up. We had one dealer who wanted 33% more for the same interior.

Also by not going through a dealer, you are assured that your ideas and those of the installer are one in the same. With a third party involved, sometimes ideas are distorted or misinterpreted. It's heart breaking to pick up your new trailer and find that it isn't set up the way you wanted it. Then there is an argument about who is to blame, and the enjoyment is long lost.

If you are willing to do the leg work, you can definitely save money and get exactly what you want..

BOL  Gard

Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-01-06 2:59 PM (#73876 - in reply to #73292)

Charter Member

I am 98% sure that when I purchase another trailer, I am going to buy a shell and have someone do the LQ for ME. (unless I find a remarkable deal on a used one that is similar to what I want).

Thankfully, I'm not terribly picky. I don't plan to spend a lot of time in the trailer so as long as things are convenient and comfortable (and not ugly) I am easy to please.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-06 3:29 PM (#73879 - in reply to #73292)

Expert

We were going to buy a trailer and have the interior done by another company. Just before signing the purchase order, I went on line and found several used trailers, that were much better equipped than the new ones we could afford. We bought a used trailer, with a larger and better equipped LQ than we were previously considering. It was considerably upscale from our initial considerations, and the best part was that it cost substantially less than we initially were prepared to pay for the new one.

After we took possession, we spent a few hours changing some interior accessories. The trailer has been trouble free. This sale worked so well that this year we again bought another used trailer. Together they cost less than the price of one new one.

Out of four horse trailers, I have only purchased one from a dealer. It was my only new one, and it was delivered with some major problems. The last two were purchased used from private individuals, and both sales were most satisfying. Should I ever desire another trailer, I will continue this type of purchase.

BOL  Gard 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)