'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
hydraulic override on trailer brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-20 9:17 AM
4 replies, 3369 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-11-15 2:51 PM (#71282)
Subject: hydraulic override on trailer brakes

Veteran

We are having trouble with these locking up and burning the tires. When we first had them, we had no trouble but overtime they started doing this. We had them worked on and they sorta got better. Now they don't seem to be working at all. They are great when they work correctly but you really miss them when they are not. Of course we have tried the manual tightening and loosening them. Not sure where to take them now to get them looked at. Don't know if they knew what they were doing or not, or if it is something that we are doing wrong. Thanks for any suggestions!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-16 12:12 AM (#71321 - in reply to #71282)
Subject: RE: hydraulic override on trailer brakes

Expert

I'd lean towards checking your controller...
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-18 4:03 PM (#71432 - in reply to #71282)

Expert

Not all E/H brake controllers work on every E/H braking system. Maybe that's the problem. I have an Elite and a digital Hayes Lemerz (sp??) controller that works very well.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-11-18 8:44 PM (#71449 - in reply to #71282)

You are so right about needing the right brake box to work the E/H brakes.
I upgraded trucks because my dually wasn't able to stop my trailer well. Then found out that the Prodigy controller is NOT compatible with E/H brakes! Even then, we didn't figure it out until a buddy of mine hooked up to my trailer with her new dually with built in integrated controller. Which was not compatible. It could have been bad. The place I bought my truck from sent me a new Prodigy brake controller and in the fine print of the package insert it stated that it was NOT compatible to E/H systems. Go figure. So, I called 4 Star and they faxed me a list of all compatible brake controllers. They even numbered them in the order they liked to recommend them. I replaced the controllers in both trucks and have great braking.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-20 9:17 AM (#71542 - in reply to #71282)

Extreme Veteran

There is an adapter available that solves this problem, and it is less expensive than a different controller.  Carlise makes it.   The Prodigy and the factory built in Ford controller (which is a Prodigy but they don't tell you that) is too sophisticated for the electric/hydraulic actuator that is mounted on the trailer.  It constantly is sending out pings and signals to assure continuity, and the actuator doesn't understand and causes the Prodigy to display weird messages.  Carlisle, one of the leading manufacturers of electric/hydraulic actuators, has solved the problem by modifying their actuators manufacturered as of January 1, 2007.  They now work well with the Prodigy and with the installed-at-the-factory controllers EXCEPT for the 2008 Fords.  I don't know why the exception, maybe Mr. Truck can enlighten us.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)