'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Unloading accident

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-08 10:52 AM
8 replies, 3805 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-11-06 10:55 PM (#70597)
Subject: Unloading accident

Extreme Veteran

I went trail riding last week and brought my daughter's sweet old mare.  She's dead broke and kind and patient.  This was the maiden voyage for my new trailer, first time it had a horse in it.  It's a 2 horse slant load, step up, with rear tack.  My horse unloaded just fine, backing out like a gentleman.  I told my daughter to back her mare out this time, not let her turn around like she did in the older, more open trailer.  The old mare hesitated, and I told my daughter to reassure the horse, and ask her to back up.  I reached in and pushed the divider aside because it had begun to drift to the close position and I wanted the horse to feel confident there was enough room.  Just as I pushed the divider over, the horse exploded into a furious backwards motion, throwing her weight right then left, pinning my arm between the center post and the horse.  WOW did that ever hurt.  I didn't even realize she was going to start coming out.  My wrist and hand are really bruised because I broke a few veins.   I am lucky that there seem to be no broken bones.  I'd have never guessed that this old mare didn't know how to back out of a trailer... at least not a step up.  We will work with her on the ground for a while backing through doorways, aisleways, etc and then try again with the trailer, letting her take her time.  And this time I will secure the divider with a rope :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-11-06 10:58 PM (#70599 - in reply to #70597)
Subject: RE: Unloading accident

Expert

wow that is a hard lesson learn, glad everybody is ok
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-11-06 11:12 PM (#70600 - in reply to #70597)

Extreme Veteran

Yeap, I have had to practice with my horses on the rear tack/ slantload. It's a training thing. If they were used to turning around and coming out forwards you will have an issue to work on for sure. Glad you didn't get hurt bad. I have had one of mine try to hop up and turn around. They will flat jump on you if you are not prepaired for it. So be careful and build both you and the horses confidence.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 10:02 AM (#70615 - in reply to #70597)

Expert

As a young girl I was taught by the old horseman that sold me my first horse not to enter a trailer with a horse.It is a death trap in some instances.

I know some times it is nearly unavoidable but it is still not a safe circumstance to have to do so.I've seen a horse run backwards over the person standing in the back of a trailer that was a big,wide trailer btw,and run right over that person in the process.I've also seen an instance where one turned and jumped out and knocked down a person standing to the side at the back of the trailer.I know you have to enter most trailers to close the dividers after loading a horse however.I work from the window and am securing the horse with a tie while my husband is closing the divider and back door.But a person loading alone would be in a bind I am thinking. 

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2007-11-07 12:30 PM
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-11-07 9:22 PM (#70655 - in reply to #70597)

Regular

My new horse was used to turning around and coming out. I had to teach him to back out. He's still hesitant, but will come out. I nearly always load solo because my daughter and hubby rarely ride with me. I teach my horses to load without me. I don't tie them, I just throw the lead rope over their necks and they walk in. I shut the divider and then door. They will nearly walk out on cue, but I'm still working on that one. I grab the lead rope and back him out from outide the trailer. I do occasionally get in to walk him out, but I don't like that feeling of being in there where he could slam me if he wanted or was scared. I have had the neighbor's dog get in the way and send him back in quickly.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-11-07 9:41 PM (#70657 - in reply to #70615)

Expert

I agree that only under extreme circumstances do I advise folks to enter a trailer with a horse unless protected by a divider.

Why in the world would you reach in while a horse was positioned to come out?

You are really lucky she didn't tumble out on top of you and place you in a hospital...both you and the horse need to work on your leading and loading skills.

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-11-08 7:49 AM (#70667 - in reply to #70657)

Veteran

We all make mistakes, even the most seasoned horse people.  Fortunetely it was not more serious!  It's a good lesson for all of us to remember, that no matter HOW dead broke the horse or easy the task, we should always do things the safe way and not the quick and easy way.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-11-08 8:42 AM (#70676 - in reply to #70667)

Expert

Knowing horse's thinking mode 101% of the time (survival) I'm surprised that they'll go in a trailer to begin with.
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-11-08 10:52 AM (#70697 - in reply to #70657)

Extreme Veteran

Huntseat - I reached in to move the divider over because it was not secured (big mistake) and was drifting over making the doorway look too small... I agree, I am very lucky the horse didn't run over me!  I was off to the side but the way she came out she could have easily turned and run over me.  Lesson learned :)  I usually walk in with my horse.  I might work with him loading without me in the trailer.  I have used a lounge line looped through the window, which works great.  We will definitely work with my daughter's horse on backing out and loading without somebody walking in with her too.  She is the one that freaked out, not my horse.  I can say with confidence that if I loaded my horse in the rear stall just letting him walk in and the closed the door, he would most likely try to turn around if he wasn't tied right away.   He has turned around in a straightload when I did that, and if he did that in my new trailer he would do some damage to the trailer and himself.  He is and always has been a nervous horse.  He is calmer in the trailer when we travel frequently, but if several weeks go by, he is once again  nervous.   I have had horses all my life, but only 5, most of whom were calm and predictable... as predictable as a horse can be that is!   But, having only had 5 and trailered a few friends' horses,  I have not seen it all by any means :)    Always stuff to learn about them and about safety.

Edited by cowgirl98034 2007-11-08 10:54 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)