'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need Help Making A Decision

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-09 7:06 PM
5 replies, 3436 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

A Friend In PA
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 9:10 AM (#70611)
Subject: Need Help Making A Decision

I really need some help and guidance here making a decision.  Currently I own a 2001 Exiss, 3H Slant, 6' short wall.  It is insulated, has an awning and an AC with heat strip.  There is no walk through between the dressing room and horse area.  It weighs 5200 lbs empty. I have found a 1994 Sundowner, 3H Slant, 6' Short wall with walk through.  It has an awning and living quarters, including a 2 burner stove, AC, seperate heater, microwave, refrig, escape windown on both sides of the bunk (the Exiss has tiny windows without the safety escape latches).  The Sundowner also has a roof rack with ladder and each slant area has feed mangers with outside access doors (great for storing those lawn chairs, etc).  It also has a shower and toliet.  The Sundowner weighs 7500 lbs.  The Sundowner is everything that I want.  I mean everything....Except it is 2" narrower than my Exiss.  Also, I am a bit concerned about the weight, although I have a 1 ton F350 to pull it.  So what do I do?  The Sundowner is $2,500.00 more than what I paid for my Exiss and we are pretty sure I can get what I paid for the Exiss.  Should I make the move, or should I stay with the Exiss and finish it out myself?  There is a difference in years here and a difference in weight.  Also, the Sundowner has the camper certification sticker as the living quarters were professionally installed.  HELP me make a decision.  Thanks! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-11-07 10:34 AM (#70616 - in reply to #70611)
Subject: RE: Need Help Making A Decision

Veteran

Just my opinion but,.. You did not mention actual prices but I feel that Sundowner price might be a little high for it's age. It is soon to be 14 years old. To be considered is construction ( all steel, steel frame / aluminum skin?,rust and or corrosion )and overall condition, age of appliances, wiring, plumbing,etc. Unless there are good records consider tires / brakes / bearings / axles all subject to speculation( is the trailer sold inspected? alot could turn up to render this a bad deal). While heavier that's not a deal killer although consider the axle rating vs. GVWR. 2" in width not a big deal unless you have giraffe necked or long backed horses.If you ever decide to part with the Sundowner you are going to be way down in resale with age. Finally, in this market trade or sell the Exiss FIRST. I'm caught in this trap and have 2 LQ sitting in my driveway now. Sorry about the somewhat negativity but tread lightly, don't be afraid to let it go, they build them everyday. I'm seeing a current trend of sliding prices on trailers as winter nears, the "buyers" market is getting better everyday on lightly used 1-4 yr. old trailers and dealers are venting some holdovers at good deals.Rich.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-11-07 11:23 AM (#70619 - in reply to #70611)

Expert

If you are not sure, then I'd pass on it. Like Rich said- there are lots of trailers out there so why settle on a 94?
A Friend In PA
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 11:28 AM (#70620 - in reply to #70611)

Thank you for the post! I agree about it becoming a buyers market...I was amazed at prices quoted on LQ trailers at the recent Quarter Horse Congress. The 2 inches is somewhat of a big deal for me, as my Quarter Horse is very long, infact I had a 2H straight load Sundowner that he actually grew out of. I do want some type of a shower, toilet and stove, but was actually thinking about installing something myself (yeah, I know...a big project...but then again, I'm just adventeruous enough to take it on and would enjoy doing so). I had not thought about the resale value, as I generally keep everything until it's last breath has expired. Thank you for pointing out a few issues that I had not considered!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-07 4:26 PM (#70637 - in reply to #70611)

Expert

The materials used in a full LQ with a bathroom will cost in excess of $2500 and consume an inordinate amount of labour to construct. Not only must you be a good carpenter, but a cabinet maker, plumber, electrician and sheet metal worker.

A used trailer that has the layout you want, but may have some minor issues is less expensive if you consider your time is worth something. You can enjoy it sooner and fix just what is wrong instead of having to build it first. You can spend the better part of a year that it would take to complete, enjoying your horses and family.

We were going to buy a dressing room model and build the LQ. Then we looked at purchasing a shell and having a conversion company do the LQ installation. We ended up buying a used trailer with a LQ that was larger and better equipped than we had initally considered. This worked out so well that this summer we purchased a second used trailer. Our total cost for the two trailers is less than the price of one new one. We have endured only minor issues and couldn't be more pleased with our decision.

There are hundreds of trailers for sale. A search will probably result in one that is what you want. Most prices are not absolute and some negotiations are possible making a newer or better equipped trailer more accessable than you initially envisioned. If there are any issues with equipment or repairs, they can be used as bargaining issues. Private sales usually result in better prices than through dealers.

Selling and purchasing trailers through HTW have been simple and satisifying experiences.

BOL  Gard

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-11-09 7:06 PM (#70802 - in reply to #70611)

Elite Veteran

Chiming in to agree with what everyone else has said, and add a couple of points.....

The weight difference is negligible with a one ton towing rig, and you will probably add the difference in weight if you finish out your current trailer to make it a LQ

Definitely consider the age of the Sundowner, and the appliances inside.  Find out if any have been replaced and when.  If not, factor in the inconvenience of losing your fridge, A/C, furnace, etc. at the most inopportune time.   14 year old RV applicances are pretty old and are due to be replaced if they haven't already.   Might even be ready to be replaced a second time at that age. 

I did the same comparison you did, do I upgrade my dressing room to a LQ, or do I sell it and buy a trailer already set up with LQ?  I found that selling my non-LQ trailer and buying a very lightly used LQ trailer was a better deal.  I got more LQ features by buying used than if I had upgraded my dressing room to a LQ. 

Happy shopping, this is definitely the time of year to do it!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)