'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
l/q ***d/r

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-31 4:54 AM
15 replies, 5109 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-25 1:22 PM (#69991)
Subject: l/q ***d/r

Regular

am i the only one that doesn't want all the mess that goes with having plumbing in the trailer? we have a beautiful new silver star that has a 7' short wall and i just want the very basics in it. some boot boxes,fridge,my show tack,hanging bar for show clothes and  a bed for the few times we spend the night. call me simple, oh well
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-25 1:54 PM (#69992 - in reply to #69991)
Subject: RE: l/q ***d/r

Expert

When I was looking for a trailer, I didn't want a shower and toilet- I only go for weekend shows ( occasinally I have some shows that are 4-5 day trips) that are at fairgrounds with suitable shower facilites. I didn't want the expense nor the hassle of dealing with tanks, pumps and heaters. I do have a porta potty in the midtack, which I think was a very good compromise. I fill my small water tank up ( about 15 gallons) and I am set. Now I know there are people who don't like using public facilties or are at remote locations where it would be ideal to have self contained rigs, I am not one of them.

But thats why there is such a wide varity of trailers to suit a wide varity of needs.....

kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-25 2:34 PM (#69993 - in reply to #69991)

Veteran

i think that is wonderful that the simple tack area suits your needs and your happy with it..i guess it depends on what you do with your trailer also.. my last trailer that i had for 9yrs was just as you described and i longed for the day i had my own bathroom.. we have had this trailer for 3yrs now and i love every min we are in it..wish i would of got it alot sooner in life..but we camp and trailride in ours mostly 2 or three nights at a time 25-30 times a yr..i love the bathroom,big refrig,freezer,microwave,sinks to wash hands and dishes in,heat or air,closet space,tv,stereo,all the bells and whistles i wish we had a slide out and a fireplace in it...but again that is the difference in people and what they want or dont want..that makes it a wonderful life everyone being different.. happy trails enjoy your trailer...
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-25 8:10 PM (#70005 - in reply to #69993)

Extreme Veteran

I'm with kershawsowner. Nothing like roughing it with all the conveniences of home.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-25 8:31 PM (#70008 - in reply to #69991)

Expert

My idea of roughin it is black and white TV...............
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-10-29 7:02 PM (#70179 - in reply to #69991)

Veteran

Farmbabe I'm with you. I have an older 5' shortwall Dressing Room.  We insulated it and installed a walk thru door. My husband made a sofa bench and a drop down table.  I have a porta potti that goes in the horse area when we set up.  I want to get a newer trailer with a hot water shower but no toilet. I also would like a refrigerator.  My friends that have full living quarters have to go dump their black tank or not use the toilet for short stays.  With my porta potti cassette I can take it into a porta John and dump it.  They also don't like cooking in their trailers.  I don't want to be afraid to use something because of resale value.  And last night we had our first frost so winterizing will happen soon. Then they can't use anything without re-winterizing. 

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-29 7:34 PM (#70181 - in reply to #69991)

Expert

I needed- fridge,microwave,ac ( which was orginally not needed but after I had it, wouldn't get a trailer without it) dinette, sink and cabinets. I got all of them with my trailer plus the midtack. I didn't want a stove ( would never use it) and didn't want a toliet or shower. Of course, perhaps later on when I might want to upgrade my trailer situation, my needs might change.

I winterize the trailer in that I pour a couple gallons of RV antifreeze in the water tank, run it enought to get into the small pump and lines. I am done. I do use my trailer in the winter but not as a LQ just to haul my horses. I usually advise those who ask, to outline what you need and then what you want and try to find something that comes as close as possible within your budget.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-29 7:39 PM (#70183 - in reply to #70179)

Elite Veteran

I could very easily live without the cooktop in my trailer, other than to light it to draw propane to my fridge faster, LOL!  It is nice to be able to take a hot shower without trapsing across a parking lot to public showers.   And to keep things cold in the fridge without everything getting soggy in a cooler.  

Your friends with full LQ should get a portable black water tank.  They have wheels, and you dump your trailer tank into the portable tank and go dump it.   Like these at Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/RV-Maintenance/RV-Sanitation--Sewer/Thetford-SmartTote-Portable-Waste-Tanks/prodID=6073

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-30 9:15 AM (#70206 - in reply to #69991)

Expert

We sold our bp stock trailer with a dressing room, and bought a lq trailer because of the horrible condition of a public restroom. Having our own bathroom, shower, privacy and comfort in the same size trailer is worth a great deal to our well being.

We don't do extended camping, most of our trips are weekend two and three day shows. A lq is perfect for our needs, and we now have exactly what we want. The only maintenance issue over a non lq is the winterization which can be accomplished in about twenty minutes. This is a very small price to pay.

My family and I are at the stage in life where comfort out ranks excitement.

BOL  Gard

Penejoe
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-10-30 9:48 AM (#70211 - in reply to #70179)

Regular

Rockinghorserun....where did you purchase your walk thru door?
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-10-30 9:57 AM (#70212 - in reply to #69991)

Extreme Veteran

july - I am with you.  When we were looking at trailers, I felt a little like Goldilocks.  This one is TOOO fancy.  And this one is TOOO plain.  We finally designed our own.  I have a fridge, microwave, plenty of storage, a comfy bed and a "bucket potty".  Showers and "serious" potty business all take place in the camp's bath house.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-30 3:10 PM (#70230 - in reply to #69991)

Regular

Not sure what the big deal is about dumping your tanks. Connect the hose, put the other end in the dump, and pull the gate. Not so tough really. As for finding a place to dump, every Flying J truck stop in the country has an RV dump with diesel pumps & propane refill area - all in the same spot. Can't get easier than that! I dump those tanks any day as long as I don't have to use a nasty porta-potty or truck stop rest rooms. Call me a princess, but my idea of roughin' it is not having my satellite operational!!!!
july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-30 6:43 PM (#70234 - in reply to #69991)

Regular

dwight, we must have the same trailer! we now have "our" so called l/q trailer. it has laminated floor(husbands choice) small fridge (our choice) small micro wave (husbands) queen size mattress with memory foam on top(my choice) mini blinds (my choice) saddle rack in d/r (my choice) 3 big boot box/sitting areas (ours) big "closet" for clothes (my choice) NO water inside trailer unless it is poured out of a jug and a "bucket" potty (or the woods) LOL we are having a blast fixing it up too.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-30 7:04 PM (#70235 - in reply to #70230)

Expert

The pull along dump tanks that he's talking about are nice to have in case you are at a place where you don't want to/can't dump your gray water also,such as in a state park,you can dump in the portable tank then go to the dump station.We used ours for that reason this summer while camping over the long 4th of July weekend,and it came in handy.Grey water tank fills up fast in summertime.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-10-31 4:36 AM (#70249 - in reply to #70211)

Veteran

We bought a used one at an RV dealership. 
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-10-31 4:54 AM (#70250 - in reply to #70230)

Veteran

Dumping wouldn't be a problem if your at a dumping station.  There are no rest stops between where we camp and home.  The closest dump station is 2 towns over and it has limited access.  My brother-in-law has trouble dumping his 25' camper yet trying to get a 4 horse with L/Q there.  We can not run up close enough to dump in the septic tank.  The state parks around here have closed their dumping stations for campers. It's just easier for me to dump my porti potti and rinse it out than pulling a trailer around to dump and then wand it out. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)