'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
s/s nose

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-26 5:28 AM
9 replies, 4104 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 11:17 AM (#69906)
Subject: s/s nose

Regular

you guys have been so great so i thought i would ask for more advice. we just got this silver star last week and it has terrible scratches on the stainless steel nose, is there anyway to remove them? the dealer let this trailer sit out in her pasture area and the horses made a snack out of the trailer. also the windows are ched on,anything for those scratches as well? and of course there is some bite marks on the white skin!!! i need help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 11:52 AM (#69907 - in reply to #69906)
Subject: RE: s/s nose

Expert

It depends on the depth of the scratches. If you can catch and feel them with your finger nail, you probobly won't be able to completely remove them by polishing them. There are various polishing compounds, that when used by a power buffer, can clean and remove light scratches in metals, plexiglass, fiberglass, glass, paints etc. This will make the scratches look better, but not completely eliminate them if they are deep.

If the paint is scratched through its coating, you will need some touch up paint from the manufacturer to match you trailer's colour. There are various brands of automobile waxes that are coloured and can help hide small imperfections.

If you are not familiar with power buffing, I would suggest contacting a body shop for assistance. If power tools do not intimidate you, an inexpensive buffer/polisher can be purchased for about the cost of one hour's labour at a body shop. ($50) Buffing materials are readliy available and vary depending on what material is being polished. 

This can be a DIY project and actually doesn't take too long to fix.

BOL  Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-24 11:57 AM (#69908 - in reply to #69907)

Expert

Be careful what type of buffer you chose,and the type of polish that you chose also.You can really scratch up a surface with a buffer used the wrong way and the type of polish also.Body shops use heavy duty buffers and they are experienced with the use of them.I'd use one of the buffers made for the do it yourselfer on automobiles,they are called orbital buffers.However,they can leave swirl marks too,I wouldn't use rubbing compound with one.Maybe a light cleaner that is one of several steps used in auto detailing.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-24 12:36 PM (#69915 - in reply to #69906)

Expert

A random orbit buffer would help only in applying waxes or glazes to lightly scratched painted or metal surfaces. You need to use various compounds to polish out deep scratches in the metal surfaces and need the aggressive action of a circular foam or wool pad.

The various compounds are what do the polishing, not the buffing pad. By switching compounds you can go from a grinding process to polishing a highly reflective surface. The final compounds and foam pads will remove swirl marks and leave a mirror finish just as used on custom show cars.

Aircraft windows, glass and plexiglass are polished using various buffing materials, to restore the optical qualities lost from errosion. The cost savings of repair over replacement is significant.

A random orbit buffer is generally only used for the application of waxes and their polishing. It is not designed for or used in shops that remove surface  materials using commercial polishing compounds. It would only be used after the repairs are made to apply a final protective film.

BOL  Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-24 8:16 PM (#69939 - in reply to #69915)

Expert

I was speaking strictly from the standpoint of having detailed my own vehicles for years.There was not much work to be done to begin with,so,a random orbital buffer is all that I needed.I did use cleaner,polish,and glaze,then a hand wax job.I still wouldn't use rubbing compound on my horse trailer's white painted surface tho,however scratched or rough it is,unless it was something I was experienced at doing and had done before with good results.That's all I meant.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-25 9:13 AM (#69961 - in reply to #69906)

Expert

If the paint is scratched through to the primer or metal, no amount of polishing will help. That's why I recommended getting a matching paint from the manufacturer.

Polishing a painted surface is the way body shops restore the gloss to a weathered surface. This process carefully removes the damaged surface exposing the fresh finish underneath. This is also a common practice in the marine industry where the boat's gel coatings are subject to high levels of UV damage.

BOL  Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-25 10:15 AM (#69970 - in reply to #69961)

Expert

Well gard,I know you sound like you have a lot of experience doing this sort of thing,most of us don't.Sounds to me like you've had experience doing professional auto body restoration or something along these lines.You agree that average people don't need to jerk up a commercial buffer and run out here with some rubbing compound and go to work on their stainless steel trailer nose.Instead of a shiny surface you would have a matt one in a hurry like this.If that's what you want it would be fine.

I will describe a household remedy for stainless steel.It is a "woman" thing but doesn't involve getting up on a ladder with a big buffer and trying to polish out stainless steel that is scratched like she describes it.On stainless steel,on my sinks and on my SS trailer nose,I use baby oil,and buff it to a dry shine with a soft cloth.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-25 10:32 AM (#69971 - in reply to #69906)

Expert

Your fix would seem to be the best for July who has many issues going at the same time. It sounds like very good advice.

Gard

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-25 7:39 PM (#70004 - in reply to #69971)

Expert

Well,thanks.A real rarity in this world,a guy who agrees with a woman!!

Or else,a really smart guy who has been married a long time.

july
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-26 5:28 AM (#70018 - in reply to #70004)

Regular

Originally written by crowleysridgegirl on 2007-10-25 8:39 PM

Well,thanks.A real rarity in this world,a guy who agrees with a woman!!

Or else,a really smart guy who has been married a long time.

maybe he is both LOL

but thanks for everyones advice, i just don't want to make any mistakes as this trailer will be a keeper for us.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)