'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mules?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-10 10:44 AM
15 replies, 7308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-25 8:30 PM (#68385)
Subject: Mules?

Extreme Veteran

I need some advise about mules please.  My husband is a beginner rider but is very supportive of my horse addiction.   I think he would really like a mule, preferbly something gaited and with a real steady disposition.  He won't be riding a lot, just needs something he can get on and go for casual trail rides and occasionally shoot off of. 

We're in S. VA now but will be moving to Tenn. in the next 2-3 yrs. 

Do any of you know people I could contact to either buy a mule or maybe get more info. on them?  I've been around horses all my life but don't really  know much about mules except they do seem to have more(!) common sense than most horses and can be real one person animals. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 8:23 AM (#68395 - in reply to #68385)
Subject: RE: Mules?

Extreme Veteran

I sent you a PM

RIDE ON!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-26 10:45 AM (#68404 - in reply to #68385)

Just my opinion based on what you posted, I'd say look for a 15 to 20 year old quarter horse. 
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 11:51 AM (#68407 - in reply to #68385)

Extreme Veteran

15-20 yr old QH?  Nope.  I don't want to start a big debate but I'd rather not have a QH, since I'm the one who's going to be taking care of whatever equine we get for my husband.  If we can't find a suitable mule maybe a TWH or fox trotter?    I really like the idea of a mule tho, and think their personalities would mesh well.  I'll  never give up my arabians and anglo arab but everyone I've met who has mules say they'll never go back to horses. 
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-09-26 1:03 PM (#68410 - in reply to #68385)

Extreme Veteran

My wife owned a mule that came from Leroy Van Dyke's up in Missouri for a while.  We learned firsthand where the expressions stubborn as a mule and kicks like a mule came from.  One of the happiest days of our lives was seeing it's rear end in the north end of a southbound trailer.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-26 3:01 PM (#68417 - in reply to #68385)

Veteran

Hello, a mule may be a good choice however one needs to be aware of it's " quirks". There are 2 publications, Mules and More and The Brayer. They have plenty of advertisers, some may be close to you. Be advised prices for a good trail mule seem to run a bit higher than horses. It would also be a good thing to bone up on mule " handling" before making a decision. It's not for everyone, but doable.Rich
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 3:19 PM (#68419 - in reply to #68385)

Veteran

My sister and I have been riding horses since we've been kids.  Her husband started riding about 6-7 years ago.  He went through 2 or 3 horses and just couldn't find a good match. He's very laid back plus he's a big guy.  We trail ride.  He bought a draft mule mare who he has absolutely no trouble with.  She's quiet, strong, has the stamina to carry him for miles and will go anywhere for him. Their personalities mesh wonderfully. Their son recently started riding a mule also. These mules are not gaited and move out at the same speed as the quarter horses, percherons and a little morab in our group.  We also have friends who raise and ride mules.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 4:17 PM (#68421 - in reply to #68385)

Extreme Veteran

You can't beat a good mule. Just be careful. Do lots of looking before you buy. Gaited may be nice, but most mules have their own little gait I guess they get from the donkey side. Mine can really walk out too when you ask them to do it. Mules aren't stubborn, just smart. And horses kick just as bad as a mule. I'd take a good mule any day over a horse, and I had them over 30 years.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-26 6:14 PM (#68428 - in reply to #68385)

Veteran

This is a great and timely topic for me, as I came "this" close to buying one just this week.  Beautiful little molly that was born at the stable across the road.  The owners of the mare didn't know she was bred by a jack when they bought her, so the two-fer-one special had to go.  I hemmed and hawed.  So the stable owner bought her.  But I get to show her at halter next year, and I'll most likely be the fool to break her out when her time comes. 

Yeah, I went ramblin there, sorry.

Anyway, I wish yer hubby luck.  Read, read, and read summore, then find real folks (not just us internet folks) that can offer some hands on advice.

Edited by Hank 2007-09-27 7:02 AM
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 7:37 PM (#68430 - in reply to #68385)

Extreme Veteran

several of my endurance buddies ride mules... but  theirs are the "good" mules.   Very sane, trustworthy, surefooted, and much more level headed than my hot little a-rabs.  So I know they are out there.. just have to find one that's a good personality match.

A couple yrs. ago one of our clients trailered in his 2 draft mules for some routine work.   dreadful beasts.  he brought his own corral panals that he used as makeshift stocks and we couldn't get near the mules until he had them snubbed up tight and locked in.  He said  they only trusted him but he wouldn't turn his back on them.    

he used them for pulling and they were very good at their job, but only wanted each other for company.   no room for anyone else in their little herd of 2. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-26 7:50 PM (#68433 - in reply to #68385)

Expert

We have mules, and QH.  Everybody rides, clips, deworms, shoes, crosses mud and water, loads with absolutely not a wiggle.  The mules out walk a bunch of regular QH and TB's, can hold their own with gaited stock slow gaiting.  The kind of country we ride is hard to gait in anyway.  They have a kind and good nature (the good ones) and a bad one is truly bad.  We have 5 mules and have ridden in 5 states with em, and love their delicate precision maneuvering in terrain.  Get a good kind broke mule 10 years old and you are good to go for a long time. They ride often very well into their late 20's into the 30's.  Most mules get overfed by their new owners, too much love via sweet feed! Recreational riding mules can do very well on a bit of oats and plain grass hay.  Often they don't need shoes (depends on the mileage, the terrain and the load, frequency and length of rides).  Do some serious looking, go for temperament first....does the mule like people, come up to see ya, calm about everything, seem content in doing her job?  You will do well to research this in the above mentioned magazines, and well broke attractive mules bring very nice prices (fewer of them as opposed to horses) .  You need to treat them fairly and the reward system is much better than the old 2x4 show em whose boss deal. They have a personality and sense of humor and have a great deal of stamina over a long day, have fewer injuries and illnesses, in general, if ridden in a normal sensible manner.  Good luck in your search, a precise easy stepping friendly mule is in your future!!
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-26 9:27 PM (#68441 - in reply to #68385)

Sorry, just trying to be helpful.  We ride with several people who ride mules...they are all very experienced trial riders....
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-27 5:35 PM (#68490 - in reply to #68441)

Expert

I find her methods to be both easy and understandable for training/handling mules and donkeys.  They have both fight and flight, but the reactions are different than other equines.

http://www.luckythreeranch.com/

Meredith Hodges, and she has TONS of videos and books to guide you along your journey.  She would also be a great person to contact about people in your area that sell GOOD STOCK.

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2007-09-30 8:35 AM (#68599 - in reply to #68385)

Veteran

There's 2 kinds of mules... Good ones and Bad ones, no inbetween.
I don't have mules, but have donkeys. VERY smart animals, not stubborn, smart. A good mule will cost you, but will be well worth it.
Good luck in the search.
osue077
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-02 9:21 AM (#68733 - in reply to #68385)

I have had the pleasure of riding many saddle mules and used them to pack on too. If you are looking for a mule for endurance (you mentioned arabs), good choice. However, as it has been mentioned before, there are only good and bad ones and I've been around both. I had the chance to get two yearlings, but passed cause I wasn't able to get passed that fact. I would not recomend one to a weekend horseman just cause they are not the same as a horse at so many levels. I have know some folks in the Colorado Mule Riders Assn that might be able to turn you on to good mules for sale, but don't know the website. The owner at the North Fork dude ranch here in colorado could probably help you out.

Edited by osue077 2007-10-02 9:23 AM
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-10 10:44 AM (#69132 - in reply to #68385)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with everyone on here about mules being smart, not stubborn. You can NOT force them to do anything they don't want to. Usually if they refuse to cross water, there is a reason!  If they won't go forward on a trail, you can guarantee something is wrong up ahead.  My farrier is the President of the michigan Mule and donkey club, he has had mules all his life and will not go back to a horse, but he has often told me, mules choose YOU, you don't choose them.  Their reactions are far different than a horses, takes some longer to train because they go at their pace not yours.

Expect to pay at least $5000 for a mule that is well trained and a hubby/kid safe mount.  Double that if you want a gaited one that is trustworthy, and hubby/kid safe.

Get with someone in your area that trains mules, go work with them for a while and have your husband get lessons with them.  Trust me if you want a mule this is the way to go.  Educating yourself before making that big of a purchase is well worth the effort.  It will keep you, your hubby and the mule safe!

Happy trails!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)