'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
pole building with horse stalls and house

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-26 1:01 PM
19 replies, 7111 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsedriver54
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 5:18 PM (#68126)
Subject: pole building with horse stalls and house

Everyone was so great last time I posted a question I thought I might ask this one.  I am very seriously thinking about constructing a pole building and making a 4 stall horse area, garage, and 800-1000 sq. ft. house inside of the same building.  First off what do you call such a thing?  Has anyone you know done it?  What are the problems with it?  Insurance, zoning, etc.  I think it would be so neat having a cowboy interior and be able to step out the back door and see the horses without getting wet or cold..........  thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 6:16 PM (#68130 - in reply to #68126)
Subject: RE: pole building with horse stalls and house

Veteran

There are some good books out there on pole buildings and on barns.  I've been studying so I can get a barn up (4-6 stalls).  Would LOVE to have the house/barn thing, but I'm just a chick with no helpers and one little income, so THAT ain't happening anytime soon.  From what I've read the biggest problems are going to be the zoning/permits and then what your insurance will cover.  Hopefully you are out in the country where you can have some freedom to build as you kinda please.  Good luck and keep us posted.  With pics, too! 
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 6:52 PM (#68133 - in reply to #68126)

Extreme Veteran

House / barn combos are fairly common in Europe.  I saw a tv program once that showed them and I thought it was a terrific idea.  However, I'm sure the zoning and insurance would be a headache.  Let us know if you actually pull this off.

RIDE ON!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-19 8:32 PM (#68138 - in reply to #68126)

Expert

People live in houses,horses live in barns. I want my house to smell like a house not a barn. I wouldn't want to conbine the two.....just build the house with large picture windows facing the barn/paddock area.
Stymie
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-19 8:46 PM (#68139 - in reply to #68126)

We built a 20'x20' Living area in our 80x120' pole  barn w/5 Stalls. My wife, 2 kids & I lived there for almost a year while I built the house we are now in. The problems I ran in to were 1. Getting a good airtight seal arround the 2 exterior walls we had, which when it got too far below zero would start freezing up pipes. 2. With the slab on grade, the floor got kind of cold in the winter. I wouldn't do a frost free footing on a living space again. 3. Had an F5 tornado that was a mile and a half wide pass by 3 miles south and we had no where to go, SCARY when sitting in a pole barn! 4. mice! Over all I didn't mind it and I think if you add all the +'s & -'s it's not a bad way too go.

It was nice to just be right there though.

Let me know if I can help you out with anything else though.

Edited by Stymie 2007-09-20 10:12 AM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-09-20 9:51 AM (#68157 - in reply to #68126)

Extreme Veteran

The ones we have down here are all metal barns.  The closest one has a riding arena large enough to work cutting horses in.  The barn has 8 stalls and wash areas.  The house opens to the outside and also into the arena.  There was a concrete alley between the house and arena.  There was no odor in the house at any time.  They went to great lengths to seal that area off though. From the road it looked like one building. 
trinabug
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-20 10:15 AM (#68158 - in reply to #68126)

same in this area...very common but mostly metal....we have a large office with full bath in ours and when foaling i sleep on the couch ... we had no problems keeping it warm or with insuance or zoning....talk to your building inspector ...good luck....if we had a bedroom on ours i would move in a heart beat....i like the smell of a good barn.....
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-09-20 10:19 AM (#68159 - in reply to #68126)

Extreme Veteran

The ones I have seen down here are also all metal barns. The couple I have been in were great. No smell, no mice. They had them sealed good and we don't have the freezing problems that people up north have. We had thought of building one at one time.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-20 10:36 AM (#68161 - in reply to #68126)

Expert

I designed one a few years back but things changed and my plans were never built.  You'll want a "T" shaped hallway, dividing the living quarters from the barn with a huge breezeway or hall.  Which could double really nicely for parking your truck in if hail comes your way!  Laying heating in the floor is almost a must, as is a fly system, proper cleaning and waste disposal.  With just a few bad choices you can watch your investment become a liability.

I do know that the resale on these set-ups can be very difficult, so plan well and over plan...then over build and keep the flies under control!

I wouldn't build a home inside a pole barn...you'll have poles in the middle of rooms or your rooms will be really tiny and very boxy.  A freespan building gives you so many more options both inside the living area and the horse part!

Edited by huntseat 2007-09-20 10:39 AM
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-20 11:41 AM (#68164 - in reply to #68161)

Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2007-09-20 10:36 AM

I wouldn't build a home inside a pole barn...you'll have poles in the middle of rooms or your rooms will be really tiny and very boxy.  A freespan building gives you so many more options both inside the living area and the horse part!

???

Most "pole" barns are freespan - up to 100' now in WI, and that's with considerations for snowload.  Anyway, there has been one for sale near Manitowoc for some time that is having difficulty finding a buyer.  I hear the banks won't do a traditional mortgage because it's not considered a primary dwelling.  This place is 80' x 240' with a 24' addition off one gable end for the stalls and feed storage.  I think the living area is about 1000 sq. ft.  While I think the idea is neat, be concerned about resale.  We looked at a unique house for sale a few years back that was new const. built with a hip roof like an old barn.  Stalls, storage, and garage in lower level, house all above.  Kinda neat if you like stairs, mice, and flies.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-20 5:42 PM (#68194 - in reply to #68164)

Expert

Difference in regional lingo...down around Texas and Oklahoma a "pole barn" is a barn that is not freespan and has poles about every 12-20' inside the structure to support each section.  A pole barn isn't a metal freespan building in these parts.

Pole barn is term used to describe structures like this:  http://www.rodeobarns.com/

Edited by huntseat 2007-09-20 5:49 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-09-20 8:38 PM (#68198 - in reply to #68126)

Extreme Veteran

I have a pole barn. It started out with 2 stalls, a dirt isle, tack room, and hay room. Then we added on another stall, a concert isle and wash area. Now we are adding another hay room and an equipment room. No living quarters, but my husband said my tack room is nicer than some apartments he lived in when he was younger. :-)-Betty
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-09-21 5:32 AM (#68202 - in reply to #68126)

Veteran

We kept an eye on one such combo near friends we visited. It went up for sale, and was on the market a very LONG time. I, too, understand that financing is a problem, as well as insurance.

Good Luck!

Brenda

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-21 8:32 AM (#68209 - in reply to #68126)

Regular

Check out this barn below with house above http://www.threeriversstable.com/The_Main_Stable.php

This one is a pole barn according to huntseats definition except the poles are steel and not wood.

Best idea I ever saw was 30+ years ago. Builder put all of the poles in place for a 60 foot long barn with a 16 foot alley way. They then filled up the area in the alleyway with dirt to the top of the poles (10 feet). Got the dirt from a new stock tank. Then they drove a house trailer (back then they were house trailers, not mobile homes) up on top of the dirt  and set it down on the tope of the poles. Then they took the dirt out from under the trailer. They then built stairs upto the door of the trailer. The bottom of the stairs were inside the tack room area. Worked really well. Obviously out in the country.

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-21 12:25 PM (#68224 - in reply to #68126)

Veteran

Where was that....West Virginie???? 

Tune up tha banjo, maw, we gonna have us a barn building, dirt piling, trailer-raising party!

guk, guk guk....

equiteacher
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-09-21 1:14 PM (#68229 - in reply to #68126)

Regular

I know it sounds funny, but when the barn building, dirt piling, trailer-raising was all said and done, it made a really nice (as nice as a 60's model house trailer/mobile home could be) facility. Barn part was nicely finished and the upstairs living space was all furnished and ready to go.

Edited by equiteacher 2007-09-21 1:17 PM
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-21 4:17 PM (#68240 - in reply to #68126)

Regular

We looked into this a few years back and the bank basically said they would loan us the same amount of money to build a 1500 sq ft house and a separate horse barn for (like) 2% LOWER interest rate than to build the same square footage house quarters in metal barn with the same horse features.   The banks have to look into THEIR possible future of getting the property back and THEM trying to resell it.  It is considered a "specialized" property that would only be considered to be purchased by us "horse people" instead of the generalized population.  Harder for them to recoup money.   I guess our "pool boys" and "chauffers" will have to stay in separate quarters (LOL). 
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-09-22 7:41 PM (#68267 - in reply to #68126)

Veteran

I have seen 3 combos. One in PA with an old barn (you can get to 2 levels from the ground). The horse stalls were on the bottom level. The living area was on the 2nd level with a long shed roof for parking vehicles and storing hay. The 3rd level were the bedrooms. The second combo was a large barn with stalls on the bottom level and living area overhead. One side was set up for foaling stalls and there were plexiglass windows over each stall against the walls. Over these windows was a mirror on the wall that you could glance at from the center of the room to see the horse.  It was a full 2 bdrm 1 bath apartment. The third combo was all one level. It was a 40 X 60 barn with 12X12 stalls on one side, 12 ft aisle, 12X16 on the other. The middle 3 stalls on the 16' size was converted to a living area. 1 bdrm, 1 full bath and a nice LR Kitchen open area. They were all nice and clean inside. 

Edited by Rockinghorserun 2007-09-22 7:43 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-23 12:01 PM (#68277 - in reply to #68139)

Expert

I wouldn't attribitute any of those problems to the "house" being in the barn.  Mice happen, pipes will freeze in a regular house,  cement floors are cold in winter almost anywhere (and make plumbing repairs very difficult!!) and just because you may have a normal house doesn't mean you have a tornado shelter.   I've never lived in a house that had one, they were all built seperately out in the yard.
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 1:01 PM (#68409 - in reply to #68126)

Regular

A friend of mine is building something similar right now, except instead of a barn it's an enormous shop for all of his collectible cars. He calls it his Shouse (shop/house). A high end "pole shed" company is building it, but he designed it himself. It has a basement (which just like the first floor; part of it is for car storage and part is the house). I'd love to do something similar but I know when he talked to the builder they said they could do the shop/house but couldn't do barn/house in this area because of zoning. :( You'd think as long as you stored they hay in a separate area they would be ok, but who knows.I remember seeing a website for an equine community in Texas... similar to the golf communities in MN except it was horses of course. The center of the community had an enormous outdoor and indoor arena (for all to use). Trails went throughout the community and each owner could purchase 10 acres and a barn/house combination was built to their spec's. Cool idea if you had cool neighbors.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)