'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hoof Issue - when it rains it poors!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-23 8:39 PM
8 replies, 3876 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 10:46 PM (#67560)
Subject: Hoof Issue - when it rains it poors!

Can I just say that 2007 has not been my favorite year.  Without belly-aching about the events of life that make me say that, let me share why I am posting.  After being around horses for 30 something years I have been blessed with pretty healthy horses.  A few issues over time and some things to deal with that were not fun.  Then came this past Saturday.  Saturday was farrier day.  No biggie... a few trims and schedule for the next.  Granted, I have been out of town for a few weeks and my husband failed to mention that my mare was showing signs of being a little off the day before.  So as I watch her walk up for breakfast I see that she is not her normal self in her walk.  But I've seen way worse.  So we trot her out and check her over, nothing stands out as a major issue... give her a few days of rest and keep an eye on her.

My gelding was 1st up for a trim and he acts like it was his first time ever.  Just not being himself.  Long story short, huge hoof wall separation in left rear.  The entire toe area has about an 1/8" or so gap from the wall to the rest of the hoof deep enough to insert most of the hoof pick.  Not good!  No signs of issue before I left 2 weeks prior.  I'm not a happy horse mom!!!

Then my mare's up for her trim.  I guess the farrier decided she needed a hoof wall separation (just joking) so he slips and quicks her and she bleeds.  Well guess what, now she is really lame.  Poor thing.  I have never had that happen.  This farrier has been working with my horses for a long time and I know it was just an honest mistake.  He felt horrible.  So now I have to wait until her tender hoof heals to see if there is still a slight lameness going on else where.  Let me tell you this mare likes to be babied when she hurts and she is milking this one.  Thank goodness she is a mare & not my 2 year old daughter.

So I talk to the vet today and she says possible whiteline.  So I now have to take my horse to the clinic.  Radiographs and possible cutting off the hoof wall, depending on what they find.  Can I tell you I am not looking forward to this!!!

Anyone have to go thru this hoof wall reduction thing?  It sounds painful and gross.  I'm wondering if I should run tomorrow and get rubber mats for his stall (currently just earth) to help with keeping things clean if need be?  I just hope stall rest is not in my future.  But whatever needs to be done will be.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 6:00 AM (#67562 - in reply to #67560)
Subject: RE: Hoof Issue - when it rains it poors!

Veteran

Sorry for your troubles, but don't fret. While it seems hideous resections for whiteline is common and appropriate as the offending matter dies with exposure to air. With a good support team ( vet, farrier, yourself) the odds for full recovery are excellent. It just seems forever while the new wall grows down. Good luck, there have been plenty of resection posts over at horseshoes.com. They are a bit gruff there but the knowledge base is excellent. Rich
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 6:03 AM (#67563 - in reply to #67560)

Veteran

I dealt with white line once in a boarder's horse.  I'm sorry to say, it took YEARS to get under control.  The vet would dig out the hoof wall and repack it with an epoxy of some kind (can't remember all the details, this is 8 years ago), the horse would be fine for a few months, then go off again.  The problem really only went away when she moved her horse-not because she was receving bad care (the care could honestly not have been better), but the soil at that facility was just not good for this horse, I think.  I have heard that there are bacteria that live in the soil that contribute to white line. I hope it will all go well at the vets-good luck!

ps...try a mixture of venice turpentine, betadine, and pine tar painted on the bottom of your mare's feet to toughen them up more quickly.

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-10 6:09 AM (#67564 - in reply to #67560)

Regular

I had a similar problem this summer with my mare...first time for me too.   I bought a new easy boot, the one with the strap that goes around the pastern...do NOT try the old kind as they dont stay on and there is an inside screw that is not friendly.    Anyway, I put the boot on her for the daytime ....can't leave it on 24/7...took it off at nite and stalled her.    She just got her first set of all around shoes in months and is now doing fine, finally!  

Guess I should also note that she had 2 abscesses during this time so I had to do the routine for that, bute, soaks, packing, etc.  and I did upgrade to the best possible farrier during this time.   He wants my mare for 3 more shoeings until he releases her to my regular farrier...who does a good job but get a nail too high one day. 

good luck!

Edited by ntcowgirl 2007-09-10 6:16 AM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 1:15 PM (#67598 - in reply to #67560)

Expert

Only the resections where they take the hoof wall all the way to the coronary are painful for the horse.  The others just look nasty.

You need to be investing in Coppertox and cleaning those feet every day.  (Treat both horses to be safe.)  Fighting a fungus is the toughest thing you'll possibly ever do with this horse, adding a feed supplement for hooves might help from a nutrition standpoint, ask your farrier.

The quick-ed horse just needs some Venice turpentine brushed on the soles and in a few days she'll be right as rain.

Edited by huntseat 2007-09-10 11:39 PM
cindydj
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-09-11 8:49 PM (#67702 - in reply to #67560)

Regular

Mygollygirl it may not be as bad as you think. We been through this with one of our horses recently. The vet did the xrays and called in a special farrier and they removed almost half his hoof. We have black clay and it was very muddy so we left him there on cement floor for a week. one good trick I learned is baby diaper and duct tape can do miracles. The vet gave us a betadine mixture to paint on, then they put on a special shoe with clips and a medicated pad for a few months then we worked up to the fiberglass hoofwall. His hoof grew out a lot faster than I thought it would. I fed Horseshoers Secret and I really think that helps too. His hoof looks really good now and it has been about 8 months and we are trying barefoot with the easy boot. I hope it all works out . It is a long slow process and I hate to say it but it was a very expensive one also. The farrier charged me $190 to work on this one hoof every 4 weeks.....then the vet then the meds?????
mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-09-14 10:23 PM (#67902 - in reply to #67560)

Update... due to my schedule/work demands and coordinating vet/farrier... we finally went to the vet's place today for the hoofwall separation issue w/ my gelding.  It is 'WLD'.  The R-hind was pretty bad off.  Majority of the hoofwall was removed all the way up to the c-band.  The L-hind had it too but not as bad.  Thank goodness he is not showing signs of lameness as of today.  So he is sporting his 1st set of shoes in the rear.  He did great w/ a little help from some ace :).  Anyhow, now it will be a long, slow ride down recovery lane.  I will have to say I was shocked at the price of just the farrier bill.  $150 for 2 pair of shoes & some cutting on the hoof wall, and did I mention I hauled 30 minutes to meet him.  Ouch!  But no complaints cause he did a great job & was very knowledgeable.  Positive note, the farrier was impressed with the amount/thinkness of his hoofwalls.  Other positive note, I think, I'm finally being forced into making the time to finish the flooring in my barn and install rubber mats.

By the way, thanks for the info everyone...

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-09-17 2:32 PM (#68035 - in reply to #67902)

Expert

I've seen farrier bills over $1000 for a PAIR of shoes, not a full set of 4.  You are lucky to be out just $150.

How are you treating the remaining hooves?

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-09-23 8:39 PM (#68293 - in reply to #67560)

Happy Jack Pad Kote for dogs and horses is one of the main things we use to stop bacteria and fungus as well as to toughen soles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)