'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New carpet installation in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-10 6:23 PM
11 replies, 4829 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-08 3:09 PM (#67468)
Subject: New carpet installation in LQ

Veteran

I am tired of the standard gray carpet on my '02 Silver Star, and am thinking about putting brown outdoor carpet into the trailer for waterproof and dirt handling qualities. Was wondering if the subfloor on these Silver Star trailers is waterproof (I've noticed a couple water spots on the carpet--think they may be due to indoor spills, not sure). What is the proper process for putting in new floor? My thought is as follows: Step 1. Remove old carpet and wipe down floor to clean it. Step 2. Lie a sheet of tarpaper or Red Rosin on floor. Step 3. Use leftover luwon (??) thin plywood subfloor from our kitchen flooring job to put down over the tarpaper. Step 4. Put down new outdoor carpet and staple in place. Does this look reasonable? Next question... I'm thinking about going ahead and just putting new tile down instead of the carpet. The trailer will eventually have LQ or some semblance of them. I assume the steps would all be the same except I'd put the tile down as last step. DO folks use REAL tile for horse trailers, or stick with the vinyl? I assume the real stuff would be hard for the LQ installer to deal with when adding tanks for plumbing. Am I right, or will he able to cut holes in real tile to run plumbing, etc.? Just in a hurry to get a better floor down... Thank you, Mike
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 8:10 AM (#67494 - in reply to #67468)
Subject: RE: New carpet installation in LQ

Veteran

Also--was wondering what kind of flooring is in most folks' LQ trailers that came that way.  Vinyl tile?

Thanks again,

Mike

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 10:43 AM (#67500 - in reply to #67468)

Veteran

I would go with carpet before tile. I would be afraid that the tile would crack from the shifting. (tile grout seams).Tile would sure add a lot of weight. You might consider laminate flooring that looks like wood or vinyl flooring that looks like tile. Have fun!
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 11:01 AM (#67503 - in reply to #67500)

Veteran

I stepped out to the trailer a few minutes ago and am thinking that 12" vinyl tile squares would be a good way to go. I can use the remaining outdoor carpet for the steps outside our home entry.Has anyone installed vinyl tile squares into their trailer themselves? Would appreciate any feedback on this.Things coming together...Thank you,Mike
barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-09 11:14 AM (#67504 - in reply to #67468)

Veteran

Are you talking about the peel-n-stick vinyl tiles? If so, I have seen them in one horse trailer and some of them were coming up on the edges. They were by the shower, so the water probably caused it.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 12:30 PM (#67508 - in reply to #67468)

Extreme Veteran

My trailer came with probably that same grey carpet. It was glued directly to the flooring of the trailer. I ripped it all up, laid down plywood, and got some of that vinyl sheet that looks like wood. It can be laid down without glueing, but I did use some contact cement.

Personally, I wouldn't use real ceramic tile for the weight and the cracking, plus cold floor. Laminate may work, but since I have it in my house I can tell you it can be slippery when it is wet.

I also have peel and stick in the house, and don't think it would last in a trailer, unless you keep it cool in there all the time.

Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 3:41 PM (#67519 - in reply to #67468)

Extreme Veteran

We put vinyl flooring in ours.  Got a remnant from the floor store.

I prefer the vinyl over carpet for the ease of cleaning.  While at camp, I can sweep most of the dirt up.  Once we get home, a quick sponge mopping and it's done!  So much better than having to lug the vacuum out to the trailer.

As for the issue of cold floor on bare feet...a couple of small throw rugs takes care of that.  And they can be thrown into the washer.

We live in area with a lot of red clay mud.  Ever try to get those stains out of carpet??

RIDE ON!

ntcowgirl
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-09 4:04 PM (#67521 - in reply to #67468)

Regular

We are in the process of switching trailers and ordering a new silverlite.   I ask about the pretty decorative tile over the sink area and they said no because it would crack with the movment of the trailer.   So I am sure the floor would be even worse!   I've had carpet with throw rugs in the past and now have all vinyl ....will never have carpet again!   I can sweep it out with a broom, mop it a little and no worries!      Guess the carpet looks nice in the showroom but not when you are out in the real world tracking in mud and "stuff"!

Edited by ntcowgirl 2007-09-09 7:50 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-09 4:15 PM (#67526 - in reply to #67468)

Extreme Veteran

AMEN!!!
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-09 7:27 PM (#67541 - in reply to #67468)

Veteran

Thanks, y'all. Thinking about the tile squares or sheet vinyl (at least for the bathroom.)

Sounds like this'll be a project. :-) The tile squares can be sealed at the seams, which may help with longevity.

The trailer LQ manufacturers I know of look to be using vinyl tile, judging from the samples I've received. I can add some extra adhesive to help things stick.

Still, sheet vinyl might be best...

Mike
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-09-10 2:45 PM (#67604 - in reply to #67468)

Extreme Veteran

I have an '03 Silver Star and have camped in the trailer a few times without making any practical or decorative additions.  I'm planning a trip for the end of September and asked my hubby to do a little insulation work.  He started to try to remove the gray carpet from the bulkhead.  I don't know what they use for glue, but boy is it hard to remove.  He was trying to use a heat gun to soften it up and that was really smelly.  Could you just put a layer of plywood over the carpet and then lay a tile or vinyl floor?  The carpet would act a a cushion, wouldn't it?

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-09-10 6:23 PM (#67614 - in reply to #67604)

Veteran

Hi there. I wouldn't put plywood over the carpet. If the carpet ever got damp you'd have a moldy mess on your hands.Thank you for the warning regarding carpet removal. Sounds like I'll have a job in front of me when I get around to doing it, too.Good luck,Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)