'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fort Valley VA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-08 12:36 AM
6 replies, 3740 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-25 12:02 AM (#66439)
Subject: Fort Valley VA

I've searched the boards but haven't found too much info on Fort Valley Horse and Mule Camp in VA. My husband and I are planning on camping there - primitive camping with a corral for the horses - Labor Day weekend. Both of our horses are barefoot and this will be our first ever trip with horses. Can anyone tell me more about Fort Valley? What are the best trails to ride with barefoot horses? Any hints/tips on traveling with horses (we only live about 2 hours from there)? Any other interesting information?

Thanks so much!
Trish
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-08-25 6:13 AM (#66441 - in reply to #66439)
Subject: RE: Fort Valley VA

Veteran

You need to boot your horses at a minimum to ride in this area, shod all 4 is better. This is mountain trail riding , very rocky in places, some trails very steep. The owners ( Rick and Sandy) can fill you in on some of the milder trails.2 hours is not a long trailer ride they should be fine. Remember to bring hay, feed, water buckets, stuff for the horses ( first aid supplies too.) this is rattlesnake country, it's not uncommon to run across one now and then, they usually let you know in advance if you get too close. There will be lots of people there this weekend so it's a great opportunity to talk with folks and build your list of things to travel with. It's a shakedown run, you'll figure out real quick what you do and do not need.  Good luck. Rich
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-26 6:14 AM (#66471 - in reply to #66439)

Veteran

We have camped at Fort Valley a number of times, as well as volunteered with the endurance rides that are based there. You have your choice of camp sites with you providing the picket line,or, individual paddocks for the horses (square metal tubes), and a few covered paddocks. There are public outhouses, and lots of shade. Most trails are rocky! You will be given maps of the trails. Some are more well marked than others. Stay off of "Jawbone," unless you like very steep, very narrow trails. Other folks there will probably be able to fill you in. We will be going back this fall. Fort Valley has a nice web site. The Fort Valley road is narrow and winding. You will be fine if you take it easy. Cell phones may or may not work. If coming from I-81 at Woodstock (if memory serves me well), the road over the mountain to Fort Valley is winding. Another edit....did you make advanced reservations? Paddocks may be full.

Enjoy!

Brenda

Edited by heritagelanefarm 2007-08-26 6:22 AM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-26 6:42 PM (#66501 - in reply to #66439)

Elite Veteran

It is rocky.  Friends of mine ride barefoot and they have no problems, but their horses are very conditioned to it.   
TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-26 8:44 PM (#66503 - in reply to #66471)

We made reservations two weeks ago, so we're all set. We'll be camping in a tent and will have the horses in a paddock. I'm not too worried about the rocky conditions, but we'll see when we get there. According to the website, they do have trails that are less rocky, so that's what we'll stick to. This trip is mainly for the two of us to get away and to also get the horses away from the "familiar" environment they've been in for the past two years.

Thanks for all the info!
galsgottaride
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-09-07 8:33 PM (#67444 - in reply to #66503)

Veteran

Trish, I posted one for you about Iron Mtn...My horses are also barefoot and their feet are very tough, but it's taken me about 1 1/2 yrs. to get them in that shape.I have recently purchased Easy Boot Epic to have with me just in case I run into terrain I'm concerned about; however, we rode High Country trails on those rocks and did fine.Every horse is different and some can't go barefoot not matter what. I do prefer to keep mine that way and use the natural balance trim. How did your guys do on the rocks at Fort Valley?
TrishC
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-09-08 12:36 AM (#67448 - in reply to #66439)

The trails themselves didn't seem to bother them much, it was the gravel road getting up into the Duncan Hollow area that bothered them the most, so we rode them on the grassy shoulder of the road. All in all, they really didn't do too bad. We did have front shoes put on them when we got home this week, since we plan to spend an entire week at Fort Valley week after next and figure they'll be a bit more comfortable with front shoes. Next spring, I think I'm going to buy some SIMPLE boots to put on them, because I really prefer them to be barefoot most of the time and figure the slip-on boots will suit our needs just fine when we do take them out on the trails.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)