'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Big South Fork Timber Ridge Horse Camp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-05 2:40 PM
16 replies, 11727 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-07 6:31 AM (#63417)
Subject: Big South Fork Timber Ridge Horse Camp

16 We just got back from Timber Ridge yesterday. We had to come back early due to the fact that one of our horses lost 3 shoes. We are new at this and were put on some of the roughest trails I have ever been on in my life. Straight up over limestone bolders and going down was just as bad and this was with a guide.
I have been riding for 40+ years and have shown AQHA most of my life so I am not a novice rider, but this was way too much for the horses.

My question is....are there any easy trails out there anywhere that you can just enjoy your ride and not worry about killing yourself or your horse?

We went to Hard Labor Creek State Park in April and it was beautiful, nothing like doing an endurance course. So please tell me some of the places that you guys have gone that a novice trail rider could handle and which place at Big South Fork do you recommend?

Thanks
Cat
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-07-07 1:08 PM (#63427 - in reply to #63417)
Subject: RE: Big South Fork Timber Ridge Horse Camp

You might want to try Natchez Trace State Park, LBL, Chickasaw State park, before you head back into the mountains.  Willow Creek in KY is very nice and do-able for novice trail riders.  Also, Circle E at Belvidere TN looks really good, altho we haven't been there yet.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-07-07 7:02 PM (#63435 - in reply to #63417)

Extreme Veteran

We really enjoy Long C Trails in Westmoreland, TN.  www.longctrails.com

The environment is very family friendly, almost all of the water/electric sites are very very shady.  Jack, the owner, is very helpful and accomodating.  The bath house is always clean and so are the campsites, and the barn is good condition.  The trails range from very easy to challenging with plenty of water for your horses.

Happy Trails,

JacciB

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-07 8:44 PM (#63440 - in reply to #63417)

Expert

Since you're in Tenn.  I would recommend East Fork.  You'll have the choice of wide, easy, soft footing, relatively flat, well marked trails.  Or Down the bluffs, with rocky, steep, long climbs, etc.

Folks that run it are easy to work with and eager to make your stay enjoyable.

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-07-07 9:03 PM (#63441 - in reply to #63440)

Extreme Veteran

Nest time camp at Bandy Creek the trails are much better no need for a guide however some of the loops are close to 20 miles. Beautiful place to ride though. Eastfork is also pretty but some of theirs are fairly rough also but they are marked as such.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-07-07 9:37 PM (#63442 - in reply to #63417)

Extreme Veteran

I have a student that graduated from the school I teach at that is a guide up there.  He is close to Bandy Creek.  You can pm me and I will give you his contact information.  He knows several trails that can go as easy or tough as you want. 
Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-07-08 10:29 AM (#63455 - in reply to #63417)

Thanks guys....good infomation. I have already pulled up some of the sites that you talked about.

I knew there had to be other sites that didn't require you or your horses to be Mountain Goats like Wild Cats Den.............

I have not posted that much, but I can assure you I check this site out often and wish I had put some feelers out before we booked this.

Cat
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-07-19 11:41 AM (#64119 - in reply to #63417)

Veteran

I would recommend Honey Creek, Station Camp, Bear Creek, and Bandy. All of these have trails that are easy and they have trails that are difficult. They are all in Big South Fork, but you ride different trails. My personal favorite is Honey Creek they have so many things to see on the trails and the owner is very nice and will give you a map and tell you which trails are difficult and which are easy. South Fork is probably some of the best trail riding in the country you just have to learn where to go and what trails to ride because they do have some rough trails.

teritenn
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-07-25 6:26 PM (#64404 - in reply to #63417)

New User

East Fork is the best for what you want and most trails have been groomed for buggies so are very easy.  beautiful too.  there are a couple still very challenging but they are marked that way. Plenty of trails for a week stay.
mud_dog
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-07-29 1:43 PM (#64574 - in reply to #63417)

Regular

I don't recommend Circle E if you want easy trails.  It is very rocky and the rocks are extremely slippery, even if you hav boriun on your shoes.  Also quite a few mud bogs with very deep mud.
timberridge
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-17 5:57 PM (#66011 - in reply to #63417)

New User

Yes this is the owner of Timber Ridge Horse Campground and I would like to comment on the things that Peanut had to say about us and the trails.  First I want to say everyone has their own opinions and I think that is what makes this country so great.  Now to address Peanut, we make it a top priority to go over the maps and the terrain  with every camper trying our best to make sure that anyone who comes here has a great time.  After talking to you we advised you to take a different trail as this was one of the more challenging trails.  Our 15 year old daughter rode with you just to ride not to be your guide.  I won't go into all the things you left out but I think you owe her a BIG THANK YOU for taking you and your horses to safe shelter during the rain/lightningstorm and I think you owe my husband a BIG THANK YOU for getting the trailor and coming to get you.  I don't know of many campowners that would do that.  We in the Big South Fork area do not have limestone but sandstone which is very different, it is not slippery.  We have had beginer riders (under 10yrs old) ride the same trail that you did without any problems which makes me question your experience and ability to give trail advice to others.  If you are looking for flat arena type riding I think you could ask without trying to make someone look bad so you can look good.  Now for all who read posts on any forum always take into account that the person writing may not be of the same mind set as you are and please don't base your opinion of anything on one person's opinion. 

Peanut
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 7:58 PM (#66073 - in reply to #63417)

Yes I did leave out a lot of details for good reason.  I had not planned on doing a dissertation about this trip, but there are some fact that I will add.

There were 2 other couples that we rode with, they may have been given clear direction about the trails, but we were not.  We did ask for easy, marked trails on more than one occasion and did not get that info.

The first day we were out for 5 hours because we all got lost due to the fact that the trails were not marked appropriately. We luckly ran into some ladies that lived up there and they brought us back to camp. That evening we saw the owner going out to mark the trails with some small medallions that they had made up.

The second day the other couples ask for someone to ride with us because they did not want to get lost again.  I also find it hard to believe that they were told how rough this trail was going to be because they refused to go back the way they had come.

Which brings up the storm incident that we all got caught up in. The other couples wanted to be trailered back to camp because of how rough the trail had been on them and their horses, we did not.  One of the couples's husbands caught a ride back to camp and brought back 2 stock trailers with the owner pulling one of them. Again we told them that our horses would not fit or ride in these trailers and ask repeatedly if someone would just give us directions back to camp. They kept on insisting that we try and load the horses and ride back in the trailer.  I did try twice and my horse fell on a wet wooden floor (no rubber mats) not to mention that my saddle horn was about 3 inches from the roof.  My husband and I refused and ask again for directions back to camp, even if it meant riding along side the highway.  By that time we were very frustrated with the fact that we still could not get clear answers that we requested.

I will have to say that the only good thing about the whole experience was the owners daughter who was a delight and very helpful.  That being said she did take us back on a different trail.  This time we were told that it did have some very steep areas but that it was not as bad as the original way that we had come.

We were out about 8 hours that day and my husbands horse ended up losing 3 shoes when we went up this steep, nothing but big rocks and with a huge black gas pipe in the middle of it trail.  Honestly we both thought our horses were going to just drop, my husband had to walk his horse back to camp on both days, that's how tired and sore and swollen they were.

When we checked in we told the owners that we wanted easy, short trails.  We were honest in the fact that we told them that our horses were not ready for anything difficult.   Quite frankly I find it hard to believe that a parent with a small child would take the same ride that we did especially since I have since been told by several endurance riders that are familiar with that trail, that they would not ride it. Wet rocks are slippery no matter what they are made up of.

I am sure that the other members of this forum are quite capable of making up their own mind on weather or not they want to try this camp.

Edited by Peanut 2007-08-18 8:15 PM
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 9:56 PM (#66081 - in reply to #63417)

Extreme Veteran

I know the hill you are talking about that has the pipe in it.  We got on the trail one day with some friends that own cabins up there and they took us up it just for fun.  The trails up there can be as nice as you want, and the next minute they can give you all the challenge you need.  You just go on the assumption that the rough ones are out there.  Every time we go up there we hit a rough stretch a couple of times.

mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 8:34 PM (#66130 - in reply to #63417)

Regular

Peanut and Timber ridge, i have been on both sides or your stories and i have to say it best for each rider/camp owner to make their voices heard, whether by giving instructions or getting them! We go very often to Cedar Lake here in Oklahoma which is very differnt riding than Texas yet when so friends of wanted to come along we plainly told them to put shoes on their horses they didnt. By the first hour they were very upset with the hills and rocky trails that no one warned them about! At least 4 out of the 16 regular riders told over the phone please make sure you shoe your horses! they also assured every one the 3 dogs they brought would stay at camp but instead they took them on the trails ( they chased deer, squirrels, rabbits)and slow everyone down cause we had to wait on them! We also told them that once back at camp some might want a beer, some or the regulars smoked cigs, etc. Again they said no problem.But when we get back to the camp it was gripe, gripe, gripe! 
Their horses feet were sore, they were sore( we only rode 5 hrs  and took an easier trail than usuall) the dogs had ticks and stunk from getting wet and hot. then we turned on the radio broke and the beer. Even though all sites are seperate they felt we were insulting them by drinking and smoking ( we use ashtrays) in our on camps! Anyway they have not been invited back and probably wouldnt come if they did since when they left they made the remark that on hooligans and mountain goats must live in Oklahoma. haha What some say others do not hear unless said really loud. So Peanut/Timberrigde, LESSON LEARNED!
lasue
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-08-20 2:06 PM (#66160 - in reply to #63417)

New User

abrown64
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-21 10:49 AM (#66193 - in reply to #63417)

New User

I have been riding in the East Tn area and Southern Tn area for three years. I have ridden at Timber Ridge Horse Campground several times. They offer easy to moderate trails in my opinion. I have been on much more rugged trails in the area than compared to Wild Cat Den (even the rocky hill with the black pipe). If I were a novice again in trail riding I would not consider the trail a hard ride, I believe it comes down to the conditiong of your horse and your self. When I first went to Timber Ridge I told the owners that I/we were beginners and need a easy trail, we were told about the surrounding trails in the park which we rode and were  very easy, and at times to easy and laid back . I like the different types of terrain that Wild Cat Den offers. If you have never ridden on rocks no matter what type ,then I recommend using a drill tech or borium raised shoe for traction and decrease a possible fall and injury to you or your horse. I have never had a bad experience with Timber Ridge, the owners or any of the numerous trails that you can choose to ride on. This is such a beautiful area to ride in and  you are able to see many different types of wild life and plants. I would recommend these trails to every one from novice to the extra rugged riders. The accomodationa are always warm clean and very friendly. If you want a down home atmosphere and a relaxing atmosphere then I say give them a call and take ride for your self.

Andy B.

Murfreesboro TN

dawnsrider
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-05 2:40 PM (#67250 - in reply to #63417)

New User

The Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area is a huge gorge with 133,000 acres and over 125+ miles of trails.  There is something for everyone.  I've stayed at Timber Ridge and the owners were friendly and accomodating.  My favorite trails out of there?  No... but everyone likes something different.  Ask 12 trailriders and you'll probably get 12 different opinions of what's a "good ride".  Remember, BSF is a GORGE and to truly see it for it's incredible beauty, there is going to be some UPs and DOWNs. 

Try riding out of the Cumberland Valley Trailhead, directly across from the Big South Fork Lodge on 297.  Ghent Trail, Groom, O&W, Laurel Fork Overlook, White Oak, Bandy Creek.  Both Bandy Creek and Station Camp are National Park Service trailheads with access trails (well-marked) to many other areas, including Hatfield Ridge and Charit Creek.

Bottom line... if you start to feel unsafe and that little voice in your head tells you it's unsafe for you and/or your horse... STOP!  Turn around, get off, go back.  Every horse and every rider is different but safety is #1 and a good time is #2.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)