'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sooner trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-12 12:42 PM
9 replies, 8108 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 5:16 PM (#65577)
Subject: Sooner trailer

Expert

Well,believe it or not,this time I'm asking a question.

Does anyone have one of the older Sooner trailers? I'm looking at a 2H BP aluminum Sooner,'95 model,slant load,they aren't easy to find,and wondering if anyone has one or has experiences with the older Sooner trailers.I've  always wanted a Sooner,don't ask me why,don't really know but I like their looks and know they've been around quiet some time.

Anybody? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter4life
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-08-10 5:38 PM (#65580 - in reply to #65577)
Subject: RE: Sooner trailer

Regular

The older Sooners are great, well made trailers. We used to haul a mid 90's Sooner 6H GN and it was well made and a great trailer for its time. I would stay away from any Sooners once they merged with Universal Trailer, I think that was around 2002.

If this trailer you are looking at is in good shape, it should last you a long time! The construction on those older Sooners was in my opinion superior at that time.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-08-10 6:03 PM (#65581 - in reply to #65577)

Well, Miss Sharmon, here I am posting again too!  Thank you very much for the kind words in your previous post!  I feel I need to set the record straight here in this case also.  I was a Sooner dealer in the late 90s, and up thru about 2001.  The quality of Sooner began to decline around 1999 when Exiss really came out strong with the Event models at such great prices.  I was fortunate enough to become an Exiss dealer during that same period of time, so I do know of which I speak.  The Sooner trailers from around 99 thru 04 fall into this catagory of having to be very competitive with Exiss, price wise, to stay in business, and about the only thing thay could cut back on was materials.  They were still very good trailers, just not the quality as they were before the introduction of the Exiss product.  By the end of 04, they were on the block for purchase or demise, and Exiss bought them.  Beginning in 05, the Sooners built by Exiss are likely the most overbuilt trailer on the market, and the quality even exceeds that of Sooners built prior to the late 90s.  I do hope this clears up any questions you may have had re this brand, and of the date the Sooners were built by Exiss.  If I can help in any way, let me know!  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO. 
angel274
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-08-10 6:05 PM (#65582 - in reply to #65577)

I have a '97 Sooner. It's a 3 horse GN with weekender LQ. It is a wonderful trailer. It has lots of use on it but has been maintained well. Hauls great. Easy to work out of at shows and trail rides. Very solid. No leaks. And I think better made than a newer one.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 8:44 PM (#65587 - in reply to #65581)

Expert

Don,this is what they said up at Jim's.S there said that Sooner is one more built trailer these days.We looked at one at the same time we looked at our Exiss that we bought.Couldn't afford it,same price as 4Stars,Sundowners,ect and everything you could think of on it.I've always wanted a Sooner,guess because the trailer that brought my first horse to me was an old Sooner.Sentimental about them,but,they do seem to have a good reputation.Thanks for the information about them,and about Universal's acquiring them,ect.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 10:21 PM (#65592 - in reply to #65581)

Expert

Mr.Don,sent you a PM about the trailer.Thanks.
martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-10 10:56 PM (#65594 - in reply to #65592)

Veteran

I have a 99 Sooner 4H slant with a homebuilt LQ. I have not had any problems with this trailer as far as the structure, roof, doors etc. Its very well made. The stall windows are heavy duty and I really like the seperate grills for hauling when its hot. This trailer has hauled a lot of horses and the stall floor aluminum looks brand new under the mats, I like the extruded ribbed aluminum floor on these sooners. Seems to hold up well at least in my experience. Thats something you should check on any trailer you purchase...lift the rubber mats in the stall and check it out for pitting or holes. The only two minor issue's I have had with this trailer and its a common problem with most is that on the light wiring they use the quick splice connectors and these have a tendancy to make poor contact after a few years...Also the tackroom door bar locks are attached with nuts that can be quickly removed with a pair of pliers or a wrench so you might as well not bother locking them. Otherwise I believe you will be happy with this vintage of Sooner.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-08-10 11:22 PM (#65595 - in reply to #65594)

Expert

There are saddle racks in the dressing room,and it locks w/a key.Probably like my S&H,and you can't remove the door lock on it.Could probably pry it open w/a crowbar if you put a lot of force behind it,but,I don't lock it unless I'm at a horse show with lots of people around anyway.Do you mean the "cam Latch" type? It has a collapsible tack in the back,but we won't use it.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2007-08-11 8:51 AM (#65605 - in reply to #65577)

Sharmon, thanks for the PM!  Yes, it looks like a good buy to me, and the trailer looks nice!  The best of luck!  Thanks,  DON SMITH
wendmil
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-08-12 12:42 PM (#65662 - in reply to #65577)

Veteran

Last year I decided to get back into the horse business after about a 15 year lapse.  I did a bunch of looking and comparing.  I didn't have a lot to spend and knew I had to get a used trailer.  I decided on an aluminum because I figured if it was a "no go" on the horses I could easily sell it.  A friend directed me to a 1995 Sooner 3H slant GN.  I LOVE my trailer.  The WORST thing I can say about it is, for some reason, Sooner did not put in escape doors.  Or atleast for most of the ones I've seen around the mid-1990s.  Mine only had some cosmetic issues.  The kind that relate to owner use and not the fault of the company.  The lady I bought mine from said that it pulled like a dream.  I thought, yeah, right.  A big ol' GN?  I had only had a WW 2H BP.  Well, she was right!  I have to be VERY careful pulling it.  I've actually forgotten I had it back there while pulling down the Interstate.  Sorry it doesn't address the BP issue, but I'd expect their BPs are just as good.  Another thing is they seem to hold their value.

Edited by wendmil 2007-08-12 12:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)