'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
new horse trial period

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-02 7:35 PM
14 replies, 4881 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

painted_amigo
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-08-18 2:15 PM (#66055)
Subject: new horse trial period

Does anyone have any suggestions for the wording for a trial period before final purchase of a new horse?

What is the most common length of time for  a trial period?

Thanks,

MJ

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 2:27 PM (#66056 - in reply to #66055)
Subject: RE: new horse trial period

Elite Veteran

I've heard of a 2 week period as being somewhat of an average time frame.

Edited by Gone 2007-08-18 2:30 PM
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 5:45 PM (#66062 - in reply to #66055)

Extreme Veteran

I know Nebraska does not have any equine lemon laws.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-08-18 6:12 PM (#66065 - in reply to #66055)

Veteran

Typically a week is enough to see if a horse will work for you-the contract needs to include who is responsible to any injuries to the horse (either the buyer or the seller should have insurance on him), what care he should be receiving, whether the buyer has right of first refusal (meaning that the seller cannot sell to someone else while you are trying the horse), etc.  I know that someone listed a website on here once with equine legal contracts but I don't remember what it was.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-08-18 8:28 PM (#66077 - in reply to #66055)

Elite Veteran

I provide a trail period as long as the horse remains on my property. Normally 2 weeks. A horse can be ruined in a week by a novice owner, heavy handed person, or just mean person. Make sure to disclose all health and quirks with the horse so the new owners are not surprised by a peculiar behavior that maybe normal to you. I also try to inspect the premises of where the horse is going to make sure the area is safe for the new horse. A lot of sellers don't even give a guarantee. Good luck on selling your horse.
painted_amigo
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 7:55 AM (#66089 - in reply to #66055)

I'm not trying to sell a horse, just protecting myself while buying a new horse.

I know several people lately that have "tried out the nice quiet trail horse "at the owners place, only to get it home and have a spooky horse all the way to a rearing, unmanageable horse.  These are not beginners that don't know how to ride either.

If someone is truthful about what they are selling they wouldn't be worried about a trial period with proper paper work protecting both buyer and seller.

I've also read some horror stories on line about horses bought without a trial period. I guess I've always been lucky in the past with the horses I've bought and the owners who sold them (no trial periods).  Maybe these days people are more interested in unloading their horse than finding it a good home.

I Also know of people selling a good trail mare, as long as you don't try to ride her when she is in heat. She has bucked off anyone trying to ride her when she is in heat.  The owners never mention she has that flaw.  She has been checked by vets etc. They have tried everything to fix that.  I certainly don't want a horse like that.  Just want the owner to be truthful about any problems, so I know if it's something I can deal with.

I did a google search and found forms for buying and selling that will work.

Thanks to all for your input

Happy Trails.

mj

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 8:07 AM (#66090 - in reply to #66055)

Veteran

I purchased a horse about 1 month ago from a very reputable dealer (yes, they do exist). I had a 2 week EXCHANGE for ANY reason in writing with the purchase. My new boy has worked out very well!

Brenda

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 8:40 AM (#66096 - in reply to #66055)

Extreme Veteran

On one of my mules the man let me take him and try him for a couple of weeks, he said more if I needed it. I did write him a check when I carried him off, but he didn't cash it until I called and told him I was going to take the mule. The man I bought the last one from had an exchange policy. Gave you so many days, don't remember how many now tho.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-19 8:54 AM (#66099 - in reply to #66055)

Expert

I give a week and expect a week, I mean on my property.  I won't look at horses when the owners won't allow a trial period.  It takes that long to get all the lab results (full drug panel) back from the vet.

You've got good input so far.  I'd also make sure the contract states where the horse is to be located/housed and that it clearly states which vet will be used if an emergency occurs.  Clearly stating how disputes will be settled and any monetary limits to the settlement is also very helpful.

painted_amigo
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-08-19 12:55 PM (#66108 - in reply to #66055)

Huntseat,  You brought up some very good points.  Thanks!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-19 1:26 PM (#66113 - in reply to #66055)

Expert

I have never gotten,ask for, nor given a trail period when buying/selling horses. Horse will always act differently when at a new place so I expect it and I guess I have gotten lucky as none of the horses I have purchased came with issues I couldn't handle. When selling, I encourage peolpe to come out more than once,I welcome any health exams but do not offer a trail period. I can honestly evaulate a persons ability to handle a horse and will be perfect clear on what the horses temperment is. I want it to be a good match, I don't want people to think they have been had in anyway. If they are new horse people, I tell them to bring a trusted friend/trainer but the bottom line is- I sell horses honestly but its still as is-its up to the buyer to do your homework.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-08-20 11:58 PM (#66177 - in reply to #66055)

Extreme Veteran

A friend of mine said it best.  When you first get a new horse it will be on it's best behavior for 2 weeks.  After that you will find out how that particular horse is. Basically if the horse dosen't work out in 6 months to a year they are not going to work out. No such thing as a horse that won't spoke.  They all will if the right things happen. You have to learn/trust the horse and the horse has to learn and trust you and it's earned over time. Sometimes you can hit it off on a good note with a particular horse.  When I went to look at one of my horse I felt she picked me. She is good with me but she gave the person who trained her a fit :)

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-08-21 1:07 PM (#66196 - in reply to #66055)

Expert

A trial period of up to 30 days,while the animal stays with me is how we work that, for the animal's protection.  We too, consult with the purchaser about the new facility the horse will go home to. They can come check the horse out unannounced, bringing their own expert, during this time as well. If the prospective buyer wants any kind of vet check or blood /urine work to check for drugs at any time during this we welcome and encourage it, as we know there are no drugs and we would want to know as well as the prospective purchaser of any hidden issues unknown as of yet, expos-able via x-ray or other vet procedure.  Have not had too many to sell, but have never had an owner unhappy or distressed by following this policy.  We have known of too many horror stories of what happened to horses when relocated (never mind the money involved) for "trial time" to handle it that way. We will however go with the purchaser to the farm to ride with them, or to a trail ride etc during the prepurchase time frame for them to see the animal under a variety of circumstances not at home.  A reputable small seller wants the animal to suit the buyer and the buyer to get  along with the animal, that is good for the animal and good business practice, as well as the ethical thing to do.

Edited by flyinghfarm 2007-08-21 1:09 PM
NorCal
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-31 6:48 PM (#66954 - in reply to #66055)

I don't know if you have already done the deed with this horse or not, but I would specifiy (in writing) that the horse passes a vet check within a specified period of time.  Normally, this is in a week, but not more than two - or, at time of purchase with the vet, owner and prosepctive buyer there at the same time.  The only stipulation that may come into play is the vet check is based on the intended (primary) activity of the animal being purchased.  If you buy a horse that is too much for you, you should know that at time of purchase and it is really "buyer beware".  However, if you do buy a horse and a week later a major health event comes up - I'd go back to the seller.
painted_amigo
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-09-02 7:35 PM (#67049 - in reply to #66954)

Haven't found a horse yet.     Just want to be prepared for when I do!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)