'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
brenderup trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-25 6:12 PM
10 replies, 4332 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-06-22 6:46 AM (#62634)
Subject: brenderup trailers

I am considering buying a two horse bumper pull Brenderup trailer. Does anyone have any experience or comments on this brand. Also are they much smaller than a regular two horse bumper pull or is more of an optical illusion ?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 7:07 AM (#62635 - in reply to #62634)
Subject: RE: brenderup trailers

Veteran

I just bought a used Bup-92 Royal.  Love it.  It is actually much roomier than a typical two horse!  My 16'3 draft cross goes right in, which he will not do any other two horse trailers.  You will find a lot of naysayers on Brenderups but they seem to always be people that have not owned or driven one!  The people that have them, love them.  I am able to pull mine with a small SUV and you can hardly tell there is anything back there b/c the engineering is so good.  Yes they are expensive but they hold their value exceptionally well.  I recommend them!
Rik
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-22 7:52 AM (#62640 - in reply to #62634)

Regular

Woo-hoo! Another B-up thread!You’re going to get lots of thoughts on them from they shouldn’t even exist to they’re the best things around. I’ve never owned one, but have friends that do and I’m starting to see a lot more of them. My opinion on them falls in the middle of the spectrum. They’re fine trailers and they fill a need for many people. My wife’s 17.1 thoroughbred has been trailered in one of them and he fit fine, but he’s not a widebody. They look a bit on the narrow side, but maybe that’s just an optical illusion like you say. I think they’re decent trailers nevertheless.
pberni1
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 12:32 PM (#62655 - in reply to #62634)

I just bought my B-up (Royal) a little over a month ago and so far I love it. I have never towed anything before in my life, and I have to admit that I am still a bit of a white-knuckle driver - but I am gaining confidence the more I tow it. (I have been towing once or twice per weekend for the last month - 20 to 45 minute trips each time)
When I went to look at the Brenderups for the first time, I was amazed at how roomy they were on the inside. Far more room than the 2 horse straight load that friends had towed my horses in previously. I don't have large horses - both right at 15 hands but one is FAT. I have the butt bar on the smallest setting, and both horses still have plenty of room to move around - maybe too much room. I would suggest you go look at one if you have a chance. A picture can be misleading if there is no frame of reference to see how large(or small)it actually is.
mygollygirl
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 4:02 PM (#62667 - in reply to #62634)

I have owned 2 Brenderup trailers (so far) in all my horse years.  My 1st was a Prestige when I had just my Arab.  I traded that one for a Baron-SL after purchasing my Tb/Perchron (18-hh).  Both horses LOVED the trailer as did I.  One of many nice features was the trailer's bars adjusting to fit both sized horses.  I could fill up a page on the reasons why I really liked the Brenderup trailers.  Keep this in mind, most don't like them because they are not like the ones design in the US.  The video that Brenderup makes is very helpful in understanding the trailers.  I also recommend talking with Claudia Garner at Horrell Hill Dressage Center in SC.  I sold my last Brenderup a few years ago to help be a stay-at-home-mom.  The only reason I purchased the trailer I now have was for the living area for my daughter & hubby to be comfortable in when I'm at rides and events.  I kind of feel bad saying that it was for my family and not for the comfort of the horses.  So far I think my horses would prefer their Brenderup to be very honest.  Good luck!
dressagedad
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-22 6:31 PM (#62672 - in reply to #62634)

We have a Baron SL that we bought originally when we had a single Hanoverian gelding, about 16.2hh. We chose the B-up after watching the DVD, looking at other trailers, and because we wanted to be able to tow it with our '01 Acura MDX. Unfortunately the gelding shattered his right foreleg in a mis-step in the paddock and had to be put down before he ever rode in the trailer.

We currently have two horses, a 17hh Oldenburg gelding and a 16.2hh Hanoverian mare. The gelding is VERY long and the mare is VERY broad in the chest. The stall size in the B-up is a challenge for each of them, although they do both "fit". With both of them on the trailer it is much tighter than a "traditional" trailer. Although the Baron has 65" forward of the chest bar, only 2.5' of that is clear of the tack compartment wall compared to 3-4' in a standard trailer. This does make the gelding in particular feel a tad cramped. The small escape doors aren't an issue for me (I'm only 5'-9" and 160) but I don't like to go out in front of the horses knees/hooves. With one horse only on the trailer, this isn't an issue.

The sliding tack compartment works very well and is quite clever - again with a caveat. Since the wall must move forward and the top fold down, there is a limit to how much you can store inside. When everything is opened up, there is plenty of room to change, but only with the horses off the trailer. At a dressage show - if the ride times are separated far enough or the weather turns - you're going to want to put the horses back on the trailer and hence need to at least move the wall forward.

Overall the trailer is very well engineered and tows wonderfully. The aerodynamics are terrific and can't be matched by any other trailer. The braking system seems to work well - despite all the flames and didn't abuse the MDX too much. One does need to take the "pull it with a car" advertising with a grain of salt. The MDX's tow capacity for a surge braked trailer is 4500lbs. The SL weighs 2150. Figure 1500 for a large warmblood to be safe and another 150 for the tack and you're at 3800 - within limits but you can't put that second horse on the trailer and I never did. I now pull it with my GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison - pulls like a dream!!!

Bottom line is that I think that the trailer is extremely well designed but could be built a touch better for the price. Any/every trailer is a compromise and there are aspects of the B-up design that should be incorporated into all trailers - shocks, a more aerodynamic roofline, etc. For our purposes, with two large horses and the need to haul a fair amount of tack and need to have one or both horses on and off the trailer at shows over the course of a long day it isn't meeting the need any longer. With a bit of reluctance I have purchased the Sierra and am getting a 26' gooseneck with both a dressing and a separate mid-tack - talk about a 180' change in direction. I will miss the easy towing of B-up however and a well thought out little trailer. For someone with smaller horses that spend less time on and off, it's just about perfect.

Hope this helps.
albert
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-06-23 2:33 PM (#62702 - in reply to #62634)

thanks for the information, i will be hauling a 16.3 and 15.2 horse with a Toyota 4Runner. Towing capacity 5,000 lbs with a V6 engine. do you think the truck will be adequate? I think overall about 4,500 lbs total load.
dressagedad
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-23 6:31 PM (#62717 - in reply to #62702)

I think you're being honest with your load calculation - assuming 1200# for the 16.3 guy and 1000# for the 15.2 horse. You might want check with a weight tape if you're this close to your limits just for the piece of mind.

The V6 4Runner will be okay - provided it is well maintained and provided that you realize you aren't going to fly up any hills with this rig. On the other hand - you're from Indy - a big advantage in the hills department. Just watch the other really critical number GCVWR - the max allowable weight of the truck and trailer together. If you have several passengers, luggage, gear, etc. in the truck this will need to be subtracted from your max towing capacity. It's usually the CGVWR that gets you first with the smaller tow vehicles.

The "other hand" part of the story is that you won't find any other two horse trailer which is lighter, better built or tows better than the B-up. However, it isn't a magic carpet and the Baron still weighs 2150#.

Hope this helps.
pberni1
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-24 5:06 PM (#62749 - in reply to #62634)

Albert, I think "adequate" is the correct word. I drive a V6 Ranger with a 5000 lb towing capacity. My trailer is a Royal HB so the weight is about 1900lbs. Total weight for me is about 4000# - and I sure don't fly up any hills. In fact, I stick to driving around 55 MPH, sometimes 60. I would be lying if I said I can't feel the trailer behind me - I can. But the more I drive, the more I am used to how that feels. With my truck and trailer combo I am about 20% under towing capacity - I have heard some say that you should be at least 25% under towing capacity, but I am no expert. I just know that I have to be careful, I try to drive when traffic is light as much as possible, and I avoid the superhighways. Be as safe as you can be, and you will pull your horses in that trailer for a long time and love it. I am VERY satisfied with my Brenderup!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-25 7:55 AM (#62778 - in reply to #62634)

Expert

Another consideration with that setup is the mass of the trailer and horses versus the mass of the tow vehicle in an emergency stop.  It is possible for the  trailer and load to "take over" the truck in an emergency stop, so keep all the braking functions at their best and be careful with that in mind.  Good luck and enjoy trailer shopping!
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-25 6:12 PM (#62838 - in reply to #62778)

Veteran

It is possible for most trailers but Brenderups have a unique braking system-although you will still want to allow plenty of time to stop you will not have braking issues like you do with many trailers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)