'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
State laws

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-30 7:18 PM
4 replies, 3633 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-06-28 4:32 PM (#63057)
Subject: State laws

Veteran

We just returned from Montana, having attended US Cavalry School. (see under "Camp and Trail"). I travelled in a truck pulling a 6 horse stock trailer, fully loaded, to town for a parade. Noticing the brake box light was not on, I commented. It seems Montana does NOT require brakes on horse trailers, period. Also, there is no required yearly inspections of trucks or trailers, which is Pennsylvania law. Yep, just what I want to do, travel down the road (75 mph speed limit), 6 horses on the trailer, and no trailer brakes! YIKES!

Brenda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-06-28 8:52 PM (#63072 - in reply to #63057)
Subject: RE: State laws

Expert

It just go to show that It take something bad before there catch up with commonsense.( horse sense)
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 10:05 PM (#63081 - in reply to #63057)

Regular

In Iowa we have no inspections unless you happen to be over weight and get stopped or go across a weight scale and they inspect you.

Pretty leaniant here, also pretty lucky not too many truck/trailer accidents.
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-06-28 10:10 PM (#63083 - in reply to #63057)

Regular

OK, I guess I replied too soon, just hot off the local news, Iowa ranks Third in the USA for rural road accidents, and 88% are fatalities.
dwnsouth
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-06-30 7:18 PM (#63143 - in reply to #63057)

Regular

Here in Louisiana we are not required to have our trailers inspected either.  But I for one try to make sure I keep my trailer in tip top shape because I dont want to endanger my horses.  Of course, their are always things you dont think about or some things you dont even know about checking on until someone tells you.  Then it is like..."Oh crap, I didnt know that!!!!  Thank God nothing has happened before now because I sure have never checked that!!!". 

And sure enough as I write this, I am sure it will happen....but here goes.....the last accident I remember hearing about was a few years ago when a girl trail riding around Angola Prison had her floor fail and she dragged her horse with it hanging through the trailer.  Unfortunately, horse was euthanized with appendages ground off from the pavement.  Here hoping it was just an accident and not poor floor maitenence.  Very traumatic.  I am sure though there are accidents that have not been publicized!!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)