'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
installing aftermarket hay rack

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-07 11:09 AM
4 replies, 4308 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-06-06 1:03 PM (#61884)
Subject: installing aftermarket hay rack

Elite Veteran

I am considering buying Halfpint's hayrack for my trailer, we live not very far away and it would be a good opportunitiy to get a hayrack at a price I could afford now.

Was curious if anyone could share any concerns or problems they have experienced in installing a hayrack not originally designed for their trailer? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-06-06 1:18 PM (#61888 - in reply to #61884)
Subject: RE: installing aftermarket hay rack

Expert

We have done it both ways, bought and installed, and sold one for family to put on.  These were all steel.  The 2 main things I would concern myself with is properly sealing the holes where it is bolted on, (not difficult at all) and, of course, properly lining up the rack with the roof supports for bolting in the first place...  If you are putting an aluminum rack on a steel trailer, or vice versa, I believe a plastic or rubber washer is required for the steel and aluminum to meet, and perhaps stainless bolts to be utilized to attach.  If I needed it I would not hesitate to get it.........
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-06-06 9:35 PM (#61910 - in reply to #61884)

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-06-06 11:14 PM (#61918 - in reply to #61884)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-06-06 2:03 PM

I am considering buying Halfpint's hayrack for my trailer, we live not very far away and it would be a good opportunitiy to get a hayrack at a price I could afford now.

Was curious if anyone could share any concerns or problems they have experienced in installing a hayrack not originally designed for their trailer? 

Well you need to run it by your trailer manufacturer if you are still under your warranty period...due to the following clause(this is an example) that is in most trailer warranties...

NORMAL USE, NO REPAIRS OR ALTERATIONS
This Limited Warranty covers only defects in original components which arise from normal use and does not apply if the trailer has been subjected to negligence, accident, abuse, misuse, neglect or overload or has been repaired or altered without the prior written consent of Alum-Line, Inc. Normal wear items, including but not limited to doors, struts, lights, bearings, brakes, brake linings and tires and batteries, will not be replaced due to wear.

halfpint23
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-07 11:09 AM (#61940 - in reply to #61918)

Veteran

I truthfully had not given a thought to warranty! Never had a trailer new enough to worry about those little details, LOL!Maybe finding out what kind of rack the trailer manufacturer originally offered would be a good idea (yes, that's me with the vested interest, but I am not out to cause any problems with someone's nice trailer either). I had suggested a neoprene washer between roof and rack, and the stainless bolts are a GREAT idea.....Thanks, guys and gals!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)