'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to build my own horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-03 8:26 AM
3 replies, 15523 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

darkittgirl
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-06-02 11:36 PM (#61697)
Subject: How to build my own horse trailer

New User

Can anyone tell me what materials I would need to build either a 2 horse trailer or a 3 horse slant? I think it might be cheaper to do this then finance one. Any info would be helpful!  THANKS! Crystal

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-03 12:16 AM (#61698 - in reply to #61697)
Subject: RE: How to build my own horse trailer

Expert

Crystal ...  Welcome to the forum.

I know it will not be cheaper to build a horse trailer comparable to a mid level trailer as a DIY project.   Even if your labor is free, your material cost is retail while the trailer builder's costs are wholesale.  Unless you already own an extensively equiped shop the tools to build a trailer are very expensive for a single use.  The only way I see, to build a cheap trailer is to use salvage parts.  But then one needs more skill and knowlege than your original question displays.

I would recommend; you use this site to learn to select and value a horse trailer that fits your needs and budget.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-03 6:16 AM (#61704 - in reply to #61697)

Expert

Originally written by darkittgirl on 2007-06-02 11:36 PM

Can anyone tell me what materials I would need to build either a 2 horse trailer or a 3 horse slant? I think it might be cheaper to do this then finance one. Any info would be helpful! THANKS! Crystal

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
There was a similar thread a couple of years ago, the O/P of that thread seemed to have problems locating some detail items, such as the rounded corners where roof rails meet.
Assuming you have the skills and access to tools, the basic design and construction is relatively simple.
I suggest you search for other topics on this, there are probably more than the one that I'm remembering right now.

I can't give you a specific materials list, that will depend on your design - I assume that you WILL DO a design before starting construction ?

Edited by Reg 2007-06-03 6:18 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-06-03 8:26 AM (#61713 - in reply to #61697)

Expert

12 years ago, I used to borrow a buddy's trailer. He had built it himself. His brother had a metal fabrication shop and they had all the tools.

His trailer was VERY heavy.  Since they didn't have the engineering skills, everything was overbuilt. 

As mentioned above, it lacked many of the nice details that experienced trailer makers put on their trailers.

Trailer manufactures, have their hinges, windows, doors, vents etc made by special subcontractors that produce them in mass quanities. You would be producing these items in a one up production run.

I would thing you be cheaper to buy a used trailer and recondition it than trying to build from scratch.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)