'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generator Safety

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-06-11 9:52 PM
5 replies, 3585 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sooner2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-10 7:05 PM (#62100)
Subject: Generator Safety

Is it safe to run the generator from the back of your pickup? What direction should the exhaust be headed?Would it be better to run the generator on the ground at the back of your gooseneck?Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-06-11 6:04 AM (#62116 - in reply to #62100)
Subject: RE: Generator Safety

Elite Veteran

I usually set mine back by the tires on the trailer. Main reason is so I don't have to listen to it. It's not really loud I'm just a lite sleeper. I have the honda 3000 series. I don't see where it would hurt to leave it in the back of the truck as long as you have ventilation. I would think that you would point the exhaust away from your trailer.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-06-11 8:43 AM (#62127 - in reply to #62100)

Extreme Veteran

I have seen people unhook and pull the truck up some to get it away from the trailer, might try that. I have also seen generators catch on fire while running in the back of a truck and that was kind of scary with the trailer right there that close to it.
Sooner2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-06-11 9:04 AM (#62131 - in reply to #62100)
Subject: RE: Generator Safety ,So, where is the best place for it to be when running?

Catching on fire in the back of the truck! Not something that I would want at all. So where should I put it? Should I not haul it in the back of the truck? It is a little heavy to be moving in and out of the truck, unless I bring the ramps. Should I haul it in the rear tack then run it on the ground? Would it be safe back there with gas in it?So many questions. Looking for answers!Thanks in advance.
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-06-11 8:51 PM (#62162 - in reply to #62100)

Extreme Veteran

ooops... I do!
If I can't unhook or don't want to, I angle my truck so the exhaust is away from the trailer.
If I'm staying/sleeping, I crack the LQ door window and I also have a CO2 detector.

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-06-11 9:52 PM (#62167 - in reply to #62100)

Extreme Veteran

I remember reading some time back about two people dying when they had their generator running in back of the pickup with the gooseneck trailer hooked up.  No mater how you position the exhaust on the generator, it is still basically running under the gooseneck, where you sleep. All it takes for the exhaust to find some spot in the construction of the trailer where a rivet wasn't set right, for the exhaust to come into the LQ. We think the the trailer is air tight, so did I until this winter I found mice in my mid tack and LQ, if mice found there way into the tailer, I'm sure that exhaust fumes could also.

Be safe, run it as far away from the LQ as possible. Every year we read about prople dying from exhaust fumes getting into the LQ.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)