'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Adjusting WD Hitch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-27 10:36 PM
2 replies, 2574 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cmcgraw1950
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-05-27 12:41 PM (#61308)
Subject: Adjusting WD Hitch

Hello:  I have a problem with my WD hitch.  The left bar has always been looser than the right when I first had it installed.  Lately this has gotten worse.  Even parked on a flat asphalt area at a rest stop, the right chain was tight, and the left chain was floppy.  If I take up both chains a link, I can keep tension on the left bar, but then the right one is much tighter.  I have switched the bars from side to side, and counted the chain links many times. This is the case when the trailer is empty, with two horses, or only one horse on the left (driver's) side. Is this situation dangerous?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-27 4:48 PM (#61312 - in reply to #61308)
Subject: RE: Adjusting WD Hitch

Expert

Originally written by cmcgraw1950 on 2007-05-27 12:41 PM

Hello: I have a problem with my WD hitch. The left bar has always been looser than the right when I first had it installed. Lately this has gotten worse. Even parked on a flat asphalt area at a rest stop, the right chain was tight, and the left chain was floppy. If I take up both chains a link, I can keep tension on the left bar, but then the right one is much tighter. I have switched the bars from side to side, and counted the chain links many times. This is the case when the trailer is empty, with two horses, or only one horse on the left (driver's) side. Is this situation dangerous?

It is potentially dangerous, on some designs the bar can easily come out of the head once a chain is slack.
I would check the trailer for side to side level, e.g. partially collapsed springs, tire pressures(even if they don't "look" soft), height of each frame rail from the ground at the point where the chains hook up (about 26 inches back from the ball IIRC) etc.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-27 10:36 PM (#61335 - in reply to #61308)
Subject: RE: Adjusting WD Hitch

Expert

Originally written by cmcgraw1950 on 2007-05-27 1:41 PM

Hello:  I have a problem with my WD hitch.  The left bar has always been looser than the right when I first had it installed.  Lately this has gotten worse.  Even parked on a flat asphalt area at a rest stop, the right chain was tight, and the left chain was floppy.  If I take up both chains a link, I can keep tension on the left bar, but then the right one is much tighter.  I have switched the bars from side to side, and counted the chain links many times. This is the case when the trailer is empty, with two horses, or only one horse on the left (driver's) side. Is this situation dangerous?

If you check the angle of your sway bars by just applying manual pressure, you may discover that one side or the other is slightly different...that is why it is not necessarily equal links for both sides...remember the average WD hitch is not machined to extremely close tolerances...

The real test is the leveling of the tow vehicle and the trailer...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)