'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Timbren SES vs airbags - which one is better?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-01 12:51 PM
5 replies, 3418 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-05-01 7:59 AM (#60232)
Subject: Timbren SES vs airbags - which one is better?

Hello,

We just purchased a much heavier LQ trailer than the one we had, and the first time we hooked it up to our 1T Dually, I was alarmed at the amount of squat we saw due to the heavier tongue weight.

I have been researching the different types of suspension upgrades, and wanted to get some input on whether to go with the airbags or beef up the suspension via a heavier set of leaf springs.

I don't know much about this topic, so not sure how they differ as far as performance and if the Timbren system is the same as heavy-duty leaf springs.

I was priced $1,000 for airbags with an onboard compressor and an in-cab gauge and on/off switch. Does that sound right? After visiting the Timbren website, they say their system is about half the cost. Cost is not as important to me as performance/safety.

I'm also not as concerned with ride when not towing as I am with how it performs, but I do drive the truck to work 2 days per week. Do either one of these additions affect warranty?

Thanks for any and all input!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-05-01 8:20 AM (#60233 - in reply to #60232)
Subject: RE: Timbren SES vs airbags - which one is better?

Expert

i have timbrens, work very well. they are avaliable for about $160 from several places, bolt on in just a few minutes. i would try them first.
laxpatrick
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-05-01 8:31 AM (#60235 - in reply to #60232)

Veteran

Agree. If you're not 100% sure you need/want/are comfortable bellying up for the expense and relative comparative cost and complexity of air bags (comparing a set of rubber bumpers to a set of bags, compressor, fittings, etc. here folks), I'd say try the Timbrens.

Just make sure that install them/have them installed you're not riding on them at "normal" sans trailer loads, otherwise, you WILL hate them (they come with spacers, etc). We have them, don't notice them unloaded or loaded.

Your mileage may vary,

LAXPatrick
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 9:39 AM (#60239 - in reply to #60232)

I put an Air Lift suspension kit on my F350 dually with onboard compressor for less than $500.00 and did the install myself.

This where I found them www.dieselpro.net

jtweider
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 11:41 AM (#60246 - in reply to #60232)

New User

I put Timbrens on my 98 f150 to avoid the squat and they work great if properly intalled they only work when a load is in the bed of the truck. They provide much stability when towing. Jerry
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-01 12:51 PM (#60253 - in reply to #60232)

Expert

I put air bags om my 3500 DRW chevvy for ~$250 with shipping.
As a DIY project it is simple and well worth the extra money over timbrens, ESPECIALLY when the truck is empty or lightly loaded.
Timbrens, Helwegs & other overload springs only work when you load them, air bags also soften the bouncy/jouncy empty truck ride {NICE !}.

I didn't get a compressor for mine, I quickly learned the pressures that are most appropriate for what I'm hauling. I use a bicycle "floor pump", about $12 with gauge IIRC and it rarely takes more than a dozen strokes to go from empty truck pressure to fully loaded.
I think the compressor kit is about another $250, so $500 for parts and $500 for "installation" (Hahh, just a bit of squirming around undeer there and bolting it up) is probably the going rate for what the market will bear.

BTW, headlight aim is a good clue to proper pressure.
If your high beams are about where your low beams were, let out 20 or 25 psi.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)