'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Where to get DR window installed...and how it's done

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-01 9:35 PM
8 replies, 3159 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-28 11:15 PM (#60119)
Subject: Where to get DR window installed...and how it's done

Ok, so I just got my new trailer and everything with it is great, EXCEPT, it arrived

without the Dressing Room window in the door!  So I've spoken with the dealer, who is in MI, and I'm in OH, and the trailer is made in KS, and he (the dealer) has told me to go to some RV places and find out from them what it will cost to get a window put in.  So I went to one today and the guy there was sortof like, "Oh, I don't know if we can do that. "   But he DID give me the number to their Service Dep't down the road from them. (Odd, since I walked in a door that said "Service and Sales,") and the # for a different place even further down the road from them. 

SO, does anyone here know where or what type of place I should go to to get a DR window installed?  There's a possiblity that the dealer will get the window from the manufacturer and send it to me to have it installed if I can find someone to do the work. (The details with the dealer will be worked out after I get the quotes.)  I'm in the Columbus, OH area if anyone has any specific suggestions. Would a manufacturer of a different brand of trailers be willing to do it? I think there's an Eby and Sundowner out here.

Also, how does one go about cutting into the door of a steel trailer and installing a window? The dealer said something about a plasma cutter???? 

Thank you,

Gunnerhorse

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-29 2:30 PM (#60143 - in reply to #60119)
Subject: RE: Where to get DR window installed...and how it's done

Extreme Veteran

I didn't catch the brand of the trailer you got... 

I was thinking of adding the window between the horses and my DR in my 94 Trailet, and Risa from Trailers America in Cincinnati told me she could do it.  Perhaps she might know of some people who are up by you? 

Or Kay from Indianapolis (she is on this site, from Carmel, IND) might have some contacts.

Jbsny

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-29 2:56 PM (#60144 - in reply to #60119)

Expert

I think I would have the (long way away) dealer find a local (to me) shop to do the work, set the whole thing up and schedule the appointment.
That way if/when anything goes wrong - -

Hey, I didn't pick that shop - YOU did, YOU sold me the windowless trailer, YOU scheduled the remainder of the manufacturing process, YOU can make it right through that shop.
I ain't a' gonna BE in the middle o' this.

The other way, just because you live in a town doesn't put the onus on you to find a competent shop that can install a window (for another dealer).

Edited by Reg 2007-04-29 5:06 PM
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-29 4:02 PM (#60146 - in reply to #60119)

Extreme Veteran

You want the window IN the door, right?  So wouldn't it be simplest to just have the company send you a whole new door? 

RIDE ON!

Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-29 9:21 PM (#60160 - in reply to #60119)

Thanks for the replies.  It's a Titan trailer. It does seem that the simplest thing would be to have a whole new door sent and that appears to be something the dealer thought of b/c he said he talked to Titan about it but that it was cost prohibitive. (Cost of door and shipping vs. cost of window and install I suppose.)

Reg, I like your idea, esp. as I want to make sure that anywhere I have the work done doesn't do anything to void warranties in any sort of way. However, it seems unlikely to occur that way as the discussion I'm having with the dealer is that he's saying he ordered the trailer without the DR window and didn't charge me for it. He says it's "not life or death" getting the window put in, and he "won't leave me hanging." For what ever that's worth or what it means. I haven't put him on the spot about it yet. 

I have said to him a few times that I wouldn't have ordered a trailer without a DR window as on my old one that was one thing I really wanted. He says that because we talked back and forth so much about the options and negotiating price on them he didn't order it. (Even though it's an option I was consistent on from the 1st time I called him.)  I also told him that when I went with the Avalanche III instead of the II, I thought it had the window as part of the "upgrade" package.  

Any thoughts anyone?

G.horse

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-30 8:25 PM (#60205 - in reply to #60119)

Extreme Veteran

Does your trailer have insulation on the door? If it isn't insulated and only one thickness of galveneel, it should not be a big job. I would not use a plasma torch as it may burn the paint, I would mask off the area to be removed, start a pilot hole, and use a sabre saw with a steel blade. Make sure the window they supply doesn't  interfere with any braces. I noticed on the Titan web-site they use long windows in some of the doors.

Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-30 9:29 PM (#60211 - in reply to #60119)

I'm really not sure if the door is insulated.  I believe it is double walled gavaneal. (sp?)

I'll keep in mind what you said. Would it make a difference using a plasma cutter if you were installing the window or making the cut before painting or before attaching the door?  Is that how the order in which it would actually be done at the manufacturer?

I wouldn't be able to do the work myself but I know there's a lot of knowledgable people on here who do do this kind of stuff themselves and I'm interested in what would be the best way so I don't put my trailer in the wrong place and end up with problems.

Thank You

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 4:35 PM (#60266 - in reply to #60119)

Veteran

I too went back and forth and round about with my Titan dealer, until I got the final thing I wanted. I got very nervous that this precise thing would happen to me. So at the risk of being very irritating, I called and e-mailed repeatedly until I felt satisfied that everything was ordered correctly. I also asked for the spec sheet once he had it delivered to his place, and before I take delivery this week. while this doesn't help your problem, I just wanted to put that out there. I don't care if the dealer gets a little touchy - it may not be a 6-digit or even 5-digit LQ, but it's still a lot of money to me. That said, if you can't get satisfaction from your dealer, have you tried calling Titan directly? Now that the dealer is "wiping his hands" of his responsibility to make the customer happy, perhaps Titan will go the extra distance?
Gunnerhorse
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-05-01 9:35 PM (#60275 - in reply to #60266)

Originally written by barstow on 2007-05-01 5:35 PM

Funny thing is, I actualy WASN'T worried that anything like this would happen BECAUSE we had gone around so much.  I felt that we had everything confirmed and settled. When I got the fax from him confirming the order and the price I wasn't concerned that it didn't say DR window on it as I thought it was standard on the Avalanche III. I'd been in contact with this dealer for about 1 to 1.5 months prior to deciding to go with him for my trailer, and each time we spoke I ALWAYS mentioned wanting the DR window.   I have thought about contacting Titan directly. However, I'm going to wait until I get a quote and get back in touch with the dealer and see what he says about working with me on this.  Up until this snag, I have been VERY pleased with everything. However, I am disappointed that he has done NO followup on this; he has not even called me to see if I have located anyone, much less, as I believe it was Reg who suggested it, attempted to locate a place for me to bring it locally. Which is potentially his loss as I have 2 friends looking for trailers and strongly leaning towards Titans. Ah well, it's all about customer service I suppose.  

--Gunnerhorse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)