'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Smoky Mts Cades Cove Campground

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-21 7:02 AM
8 replies, 4590 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

martyg
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-29 9:41 PM (#58031)
Subject: Smoky Mts Cades Cove Campground

Veteran

Has anyone stayed at the horsecamp at Cades Cove?
What is the access like..any problems with a 4horse w/living quarters getting to the sites? I heard somewhere that a trailer with low clearance or tanks underneath might not make it...any truth to this?

What are the stall like? Any other specifics?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-31 6:46 PM (#58169 - in reply to #58031)
Subject: RE: Smoky Mts Cades Cove Campground

Extreme Veteran

I assume the one you are talking about is Anthony Creek. You can get in there pretty easy. It is one of the easier ones to get in. I have never stayed there but have riden though there probably 20 times. The stalls are made of welded pipe and they are tie stalls. You lead the horse in and tie him and ther is a chain across his rump. They are probably 48 in. wide. All the stalls in the parks campgrounds are this way. That is the reason I usually stay off the park I have stayed at the one at Cattaloche(spell). but when I go to Cades cove I usually stay at Gilbertson's or Bear Hollow. They have stalls and I just take my bumper trailer and stay in one of their Cabins. They also have spaces for LQ but most of the time you have to trailer in and out to ride.

Edited by iCE CRM 2007-03-31 6:51 PM
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-04-10 7:02 AM (#58968 - in reply to #58031)

Veteran

I have stayed at the campground once. I have stayed at Gilbertson's too. The campground is very sunny most of the day. The horse stall area is in the sun too. We all got in but it is kind of hard to park. I would recommend Gilbertson's or Cataloochee. cataloochee is hard to get into but well worth it. It is my favorite place to ride. There are enough trails there to stay a week and keep going on a new one.
Dennis
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-11 4:22 PM (#59073 - in reply to #58031)

New User

I just made reservations for Sep 07 at Anthony Creek, I honeymooned there April of last year.  I have a 31 (total) length LQ Trailer and did not have any problems getting in and turning around.  Stalls Sux.  just a tie-out but we made it fine (i just thought about the bears)  the only night that we were worried was the last one and my dogs (rott/boxer mix) were upset about the noises in the woods.  Hope this helps and hope to see (someone) else in Sep.  we were all alone last time.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-04-11 5:16 PM (#59078 - in reply to #58031)

Veteran

getting in with only one trailer would be a lot easier than when there are several. It was very crowded when we were there getting parked and all the stalls were not taken.
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-15 8:00 PM (#59344 - in reply to #58031)

Just got back from the Smoky's today.  Awesome riding and beautiful.  We stayed at Gilbertson's and took our small 2 horse.  Rode through the horse camp at Cades Cove after trailing in from Gilbertson's and there was a pretty large rig in there, but he was the only one.  Would be very difficult if there were many others.  If you are interested in staying at Gilbertson's with your living quarters, she has a stock trailer that you can rent to trailer into the park.  Some riding advice.  Make sure your horses are in SHAPE!  You go up all morning and down all afternoon.  Some places you can climb 1000ft per mile.  Also, carry a trail/pack saw.  We encountered a tree across a trail that was straight up on one side and straight down on the other.  My horse wouldn't jump it and we had to climb back up and find another route out.  With that, I would still go back in a heart beat.  Be prepared for the mountain weather.  It can be sunny and warm at the trailhead and raining, cold and windy in the high elevations.  LOVED IT!!!!
brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 1:29 PM (#59615 - in reply to #58031)

hey, do any of you have contact information for any of the private campgrounds around the GSM? i did not like the standing stalls for my horse in the park itself and would love to go back and have a picket line or stalls for my horses instead. thanks!
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-04-19 1:54 PM (#59617 - in reply to #58031)

Rocknhorse stables-(865)448-3957.  Richard and Brenda Sessions. This the best camp in Townsend. www.rocknhorsestables.com.
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-21 7:02 AM (#59723 - in reply to #58031)

We stayed at Gilbertson's Lazy Horse Retreat.  You can find them one the web.  She offers some camping, but we rented a cabin and trailered into the park.  She has some riding from her place too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)