'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice/Input on Valley Trailer Hitch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-03 1:52 AM
4 replies, 2692 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-04-02 5:57 AM (#58271)
Subject: Advice/Input on Valley Trailer Hitch

Extreme Veteran

I'm needing some feedback on Valley Trailer Hitches. Three years ago when I purchased my gooseneck trailer, my dealer installed a Valley hitch. His first choice was a Draw Tite, but they were back ordered almost 2 months, so Valley was the next choice. This hitch has a cable underneath the bed and pull handle installed in the bed just behind the driver's side door. The hitch worked fine the 1st year, but last year in the spring, the handle was "frozen" and I could not get it to work. My husband did some greasing and cleaning and pushing and pulling, and we finally got it moving. It was difficult, but it worked okay the rest of the season. This year, we can't get it to budge! I brought it back to my installer - large commercial trailer sales/customizing shop, not really horse trailer guys, but very helpful, gentlemanly and accomodating. Seems Valley says this has not been reported as an issue, is not a design flaw, but they have discontinuted making this type trailer hitch (DUH!). My installer guy indicated to the rep that his customer was not going to be happy that they would not make any accomodation to fix the hitch. He has ordered a replacement cable, and has offered to install it for free - very good business on his part, but Valley has not stepped up.Anyway... thought I'd report this incident (which I consider pretty poor customer relations's on Valley's part - the cable is a $50 part. You would think they might send one gratis as a good will offer) and just warn the forum of my bad experience. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-02 6:39 AM (#58273 - in reply to #58271)
Subject: RE: Advice/Input on Valley Trailer Hitch

Expert

I'm Sorry that you've had problems with your Valley hitch.

This just reinforces my choice of the B&W hitch.  The operating handle may be less accessable, but not much goes wrong with a steel bar. 

Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-02 10:48 AM (#58285 - in reply to #58271)

Regular

I try not to buy anything more complicated than a ball from Valley.

I bought a gooseneck hitch for my 2005 Ram 3500 and despite the box and Valley customer service saying it was the right hitch it just didn't fit right at all. We spent all night putting it in with a lot of difficulty.

For my 2007 I'm putting in a B&W.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-02 11:06 AM (#58287 - in reply to #58271)

Expert

While I agree B&W's are good they are not perfect, the one on the Dodge I had quit locking in the out(turnover) spot so someone had to hold the lever out while someone else turned the ball over. So I just left the ball up all the time. I did buy one for the GMC though.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-04-03 1:52 AM (#58366 - in reply to #58271)

Elite Veteran

That's the nice thing about Popup's Turnover ball. It has a large rod for engaging the ball that you just twist to the side instead of pulling it. Come see me on the Hart Horse Trailer Safety and Tech Tour in Minnesota at the Expo the end of April and I'll demonstrate. And see the new hydraulic disc brakes we put on this week. We'll have loads of data on the difference between electric and hydraulic brakes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)