'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Smoky Mountains

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-27 7:21 AM
7 replies, 4045 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-16 12:20 PM (#57169)
Subject: Smoky Mountains

Will be riding in the Smoky Mountains for the first time in April. We are staying at Gilbertson's Lazy Horse and plan to trailer to different trail heads. Any suggestions on the best trails to ride?? We are all day riders, Quarter Horses and Mules. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-16 7:49 PM (#57201 - in reply to #57169)
Subject: RE: Smoky Mountains

Extreme Veteran

Yes been riding there for years and it is a beautiful place to ride. Ther is one pretty good ride you can get to fom Melody's place . I think it is school house gap. You can ride Rich Mountain Loop not a long ride about 4hrs TWH. overlooks Cades Cove, beatiful site. Be sure to go to Spence Field on the Applacian Trail. Another one we usually ride is start Abram's Creek Ranger Station and ride the whole loop down to Cades Cove. Cades Cove is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I think the trails are Gold Mine, Cooper road and Rabbit Creek Trail. This may be a little far 8 to 9 hours about 24 miles. If you ride al these it will be all your horse wants.

When coming down off Spence Field come all the way down to Findley Cane and be quiet we usually see bears on this trail. Good Luck and Enjoy

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-16 10:58 PM (#57211 - in reply to #57169)

Elite Veteran

Ride out of Gilbertsons.  Turn right on School House Gap and follow up the mountain.  There will be a little house on the right at the top of the hill.  Turn left and follow that trail along the ridge and then turn right down the hill.  I can tell you how to get to these trails, but damn if I can remember the names.  I'll think of them though
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-03-26 8:39 AM (#57781 - in reply to #57169)

I run a guide and pack service for the Smokies. If you would be interested in my services, send me a message. i will be working in the mountains this weekend. I am familiar with all the trails and the best places to see wildlife. References are avaliable.
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-26 1:19 PM (#57798 - in reply to #57781)

Thanks for the offer. Do you have a website or something that has your services listed?? I will ask my group if they are interested in a guide. We are all very experienced trail riders and usually are able to get around just about anywhere with a GPS and map, so typically we don't use a guide. I had posted my question for references for the best and most scenic trails so we would get the most of our first trip riding in the Smoky's. Send me some info we have always tossed the idea of a pack trip in the future.

Thanks,
Tracy
KYQHRider
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-03-26 2:05 PM (#57809 - in reply to #57169)

You can reach me at (256)758-2167.  References can be obtained from Rock-N-Horse stables.  I do not have a website currently.  Lots of ledges in the park on the trails that alot of people do not like, hard to turn around when you get out there.  Again, if I can be of any service, feel free to call. Hope you have a good trip-this is the best ride east of the mississippi!

iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-26 8:54 PM (#57856 - in reply to #57809)

Extreme Veteran

Oldguide I don't think what you are offering to is legal. I don't think you can offer a guide service in a National Park unless you are a licensed outfitter. I don't know of any in the Smokies. There was a lady that offered this kind of service and was told to quit. Just a word might check it out at least I would not advertise it. The trails I mentioned above do not have any of those ledges. One that does is Turkey Pen.

Edited by iCE CRM 2007-03-26 8:58 PM
oldguide
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-03-27 7:21 AM (#57869 - in reply to #57169)

Our services are offered through private stables and boarding facilities in the area.  We have no facilities inside the park. We also follow and operate within all park guidlines.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)