'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tekfoil vs styrofoam for insulation in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-31 7:40 PM
15 replies, 7081 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-25 8:59 AM (#66446)
Subject: Tekfoil vs styrofoam for insulation in LQ

I’m trying to decide which one to use to insulate my horse trailer.  Also if you use the Tekfoil how did you attach it to the walls.  I’m thinking the Styrofoam would be easier because you can wedge it between the support rails.  Any advice on the pros and cons of either would be appreciated.

Karen

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-25 9:40 AM (#66447 - in reply to #66446)
Subject: RE: Tekfoil vs styrofoam for insulation in LQ

Regular

Hello Karen: My name is Mike and I am by trade a general contractor in Georgia. I have never seen styrofoam used. By definition styrofoam is the white stuff with big cells that break apart easily.

I would personaly use what is called polystyrine. It is much more dense than styrofoam, and cost a little more. The brands are Owens Corning brand that is pink, Dow brand is blue, Ceilotex brand is a yellow color and has a thin sheet of tin foal bonded to one side and is marketed by the name "tuff-R".

All of this stuff is easy to use and can be cut with a utility knife and a straight edge. A dab of liquid nails can be used to secure it if the fit is a a little loose.

Good luck with your project.

MIke and Darcy

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-25 10:33 AM (#66450 - in reply to #66446)

Yeah Polystryine is what I meant.  I guess I also need an education on the right terminology.   The Tekfoil I am talking about is advertised as insulation for animal buildings, I’m guessing its also called foil bubble.  I’m wondering if the foil would be a better insulator than the polystryine.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-25 11:38 AM (#66454 - in reply to #66450)

Expert

Are you talking about the "bubble wrap"?  Lots of people on here have used it.  I know there are lots of post about LQ's, but if you read some there are lots of great pictures/ideas and info.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-26 1:22 PM (#66490 - in reply to #66447)

Expert

Originally written by mike and darcy on 2007-08-25 8:40 AM

Hello Karen: My name is Mike and I am by trade a general contractor in Georgia. I have never seen styrofoam used. By definition styrofoam is the white stuff with big cells that break apart easily.

I would personaly use what is called polystyrine. It is much more dense than styrofoam, and cost a little more. The brands are Owens Corning brand that is pink, Dow brand is blue, Ceilotex brand is a yellow color and has a thin sheet of tin foal bonded to one side and is marketed by the name "tuff-R".

As someone employed by a manufacturer of the stuff, a little clarification.

Styrofoam is a brand name owned by Dow.  The white foam that chunks is actually polystyrene bead foam.  It's made up of little beads of foam.  The disposable foam cups are made of the same type of beads.

The other polystyrene foam boards, Mike is speaking of, are extruded with an insulating gas.  They have a better "R" value and strength. 

There are foam boards are made of other materials too.  I don't believe Owens/Corning and Celotex boards are made of polysytrene foam 

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-26 2:34 PM (#66492 - in reply to #66446)

Regular

Thanks for the correction.

When I ask my helper to bring me the Dewalt or Milwaukee "circular" saw I tell him, (bring me the skill saw) He knows what I mean even though it is not the skill brank of saw.  I think it is the same with the white bead board. It has the generic name forever of styrofoam.

To get back on track to the original posters question, What would you recomend since you are in the industry? My vote is to pay a litle extra and get the type that is more dense and has the better R value even though it cost a little more.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-08-26 6:37 PM (#66499 - in reply to #66492)

Expert

Originally written by mike and darcy on 2007-08-26 1:34 PM

Thanks for the correction.

When I ask my helper to bring me the Dewalt or Milwaukee "circular" saw I tell him, (bring me the skill saw) He knows what I mean even though it is not the skill brank of saw.  I think it is the same with the white bead board. It has the generic name forever of styrofoam.

To get back on track to the original posters question, What would you recomend since you are in the industry? My vote is to pay a litle extra and get the type that is more dense and has the better R value even though it cost a little more.

Mike.. My post wasn't meant to diminish your info.  Just a clarification.    As to your question... I have extruded polystyrene foam in my trailer.  It's all the things you said it was, compared to bead foam..

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-26 9:48 PM (#66507 - in reply to #66446)

Veteran

Originally written by Trail Rider on 2007-08-25 8:59 AM

I’m trying to decide which one to use to insulate my horse trailer.  Also if you use the Tekfoil how did you attach it to the walls.  I’m thinking the Styrofoam would be easier because you can wedge it between the support rails.  Any advice on the pros and cons of either would be appreciated.

Karen

I have insulated my trailer and that's as fas as I've gotten. I used the blue stuff that I call foamboard and I also used some of the foamboard that has a foil coating on one side. I just cut the pieces to fit and wedged them between the support beams. Then, I taped the seams with foil tape. Now, on a hot day, when I touch the blue foamboard from inside the trailer, it is cooler to the touch than the foiled coated foamboard. But I don't know which is more insulating as far as keeping the air conditioned air in and the radiant heat out.  Sorry, I'm no help!  : )

mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-27 11:35 AM (#66543 - in reply to #66446)

Regular

no problem hosspuller, I was not offended by what you said. I was not aware of how the dense stuff was made and was glad to find out how. Thanks for the info.

Mike

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-28 5:39 AM (#66608 - in reply to #66446)

Thanks everyone for your input.  I think I will be going with extruded polystyrene foam. At least I now know the correct name for it LOL.
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-28 7:31 AM (#66612 - in reply to #66446)

Regular

Trail Rider, now that you have decided on the insulation, what are you going to cover it will and how will you attach that material to your trailer?

This is where I am looking foward to hearing some intresting ideas.

Mike

Trail Rider
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-29 7:54 AM (#66700 - in reply to #66446)

Ha I am now having 2nd thoughts on what to use for insulation.  I have a steal trailer and if I put insulation between the rails won't the rails still sweat?  I'm thinking I have to cover them also with insulation.  Any thoughts on that???????
dblhocker
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-08-29 9:23 AM (#66706 - in reply to #66446)

Regular

I am in the process of doing a weekender type of living quarters in my Featherlite trailer. I am using primarily the bubble wrap insulation, but depending on the type of supports, I'm also using the rigid foam insulation in some areas. I'm fastening the bubble wrap up temporarily with tape, and then applying the furring strips on top of the bubble wrap, which will then hold it in place permanently. As to the question of using the rigid foam leaving the supports uninsulated, I would suggest insulating between the supports, and then attaching furring strips horizontally, and then using more rigid foam between the furring strips, which would then cover up the supports as well.

Edited by dblhocker 2007-08-29 9:28 AM
mike and darcy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-29 10:25 AM (#66713 - in reply to #66446)

Regular

Trail rider, I may be wrong but I think the theory is the metal needs air to sweat. I think I would still use the dense polystyrne and make sure it is cut tight. If I had any rust or pain loss I would treat this with a good rust primer and then perhaps use a spray on undercoating to completely seal the metal before instaling the inc.

I think this is about as good as you can do starting out with steel.

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-08-29 11:48 PM (#66810 - in reply to #66700)

Extreme Veteran

I insulated my steel trailer tack room with the foil backed 1/2" insluation board and then put cedar furring strips all the way around, and last put up nice paneling.  On the corners that were rounded where the ceiling and walls meet, I used double thickness of the foil backed bubble wrap insulation.   I have not had a problem with the trailer sweating or with condensation, except in the boot box, which I now leave open when I am not using it.  That solve that problem.  It is really warm and quiet when all windows and door are shut.  I sleep like a baby.  It stays a little cooler than it did without the insulation.  Biggest bonus is I have been able to leave my stuff in the trailer with no fear of it being ruined due to mildew and moisture.  I used construction adhesive where I could and aluminum tape for every seam.  Thet's the first time I had used aluminum tape and it was the best!!!    I'd definitely recommend using that!

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-08-31 7:40 PM (#66962 - in reply to #66446)

Veteran

I've used the foam board insulation between slats on the trailer, and the bubble wrap in the upper corners and nose where panel was hard to fit right. My only concern is the chemicals used in the foam panels. I'm starting to think about pull the stuff out completely due to concerns over the safety of the air in the trailer when the stuff outgasses in summer heat. Still waiting for a useful reply here on whether the stuff is safe. Thinking of going with a natural (cotton or wool) type of insulation or using bubble wrap throughout. I'm not convinced the foamboard is safe for small enclosed spaces. Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)