'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Scratches

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-03 7:33 AM
14 replies, 6470 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 8:15 AM (#56369)
Subject: Scratches

Veteran

I have been offered a horse that I m going to look at on Wednesday the girl is in financial and heath distress. (high risk preg) anyways the only problem she said the horse has ever had is "scratches I being a horse owner since I was 3 years old and now approaching 40(omg) have never heard of this condition I have looked online but can't find alot on the subject.
Has anyone had any experience with this condition? Does it repeat itself or is it a one time thing? How hard is it to treat? Ect...
Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 10:14 AM (#56378 - in reply to #56369)
Subject: RE: Scratches

Extreme Veteran

No expert, but understand this is a fungal condition that causes sores and raw spots on the hocks, and fetlock of horses. I understand too that the small sores can bleed and be unsightly, even giving the appearance of abuse. I've not had the problem, but this is what I have been told.

Good Luck with the problem if that is what it is, fungal thingy's can be tough in a moist climate, and while not life threatening, very uncomfortable.

Steve, on the Grey Arabian

Z71
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-02-27 11:52 AM (#56385 - in reply to #56369)

Veteran

Check out the following website, it pretty well describes it.

http://horses.about.com/od/commonproblems/p/greasyheel.htm

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 12:25 PM (#56390 - in reply to #56369)

I have had to deal with scratches on allot of my horses. I find that it is most common on horses that like the water and mud and that have white socks. I think it is a combination of the wet and then the heat of the sun that causes the fungus to grow. It is very unsightly but can be easily treated. I use a liquid Athletes foot treatment on my filly. It will hurt a little at first but it clears her up in about 3 days. When I move her to her summer pasture I just put the stuff on every day and seams to keep her healthy. I do not have the option of putting her in a dry area all the time. I have never had a lameness issue with it. I have heard that if left untreated it can get so painful for them. Hope it helps.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 12:33 PM (#56393 - in reply to #56369)

Elite Veteran

Scratches . . .  Also known as "greasy heel', "mud fever".  A fungal infection caused by mud, wet grass, prolonged exposure to "wet".  Found on the pasterns of horses.  Can be quite painful and will cause lameness if left untreated.  I've also found that it is more common in white pasterened horses.  The skin affected will become inflammed and will crack as the horse walks.  Many times you just have to put them in the barn where it's dry to clear it up.  I've also found that once they have scratches, they will always be prone to it.  It's alot like "rain rot" as far as treating it.  The important thing is to remove the scabs along with the dirt, treat with an anti fungal ointment/powder/cream etc. and keep dry.  Alot of people will completely cover with Desitin after cleaning the pasterns.  Keep hair shaved so moisture will not hold into the hair.  Hope this helps.
Charmer88
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 12:33 PM (#56394 - in reply to #56369)

Veteran

If you move the horse it may never have scratches again.

I've had horses 25 years and have had scratches 3 times at 2 different farms. It was a nuisance but after the unusually wet springs it disappeared.

I have seen white legged horses with it very severe and one owners vet treated it unlike mine. That horse had nitrofurazone on all 4 legs and wrapped. The horse lost all the hair on it's legs and was bright red from knee to hoof.

Mine were treated with Gentamicin spray, kept open and clean and healed up pretty fast.

I would research as much as you can.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 1:07 PM (#56402 - in reply to #56369)

Expert

I had to deal with scratches a few years ago having never seen it before. oddly enough, it was a rather dry spring when my gelding had some dry sore spots on his ankles. Even during the summer, they never went away. I have heard of dozens of different treatments. I used some Utter Butter mixed with DMSO and the healed up. The trick is to keep them moist so they don't crack open much like a scab. When another younger gelding started developing some scabby spots, I left it alone and it pretty much ran its course,helaing up without any interevention.

You can also use diaper rash cream, anti-biotic ointments and yeast infect creams. Some people clip the hair aorund the sore spots, others have left it aone. I did both at one time or another and cannot say which is better other than clipping the hair makes it easier to apply treatment to.

I have read one needs to remove the scabs but I tend to disagree as the scabs are painful, it irriates the skin.

Scrathes isn't lethal just a annoying problem that will go away.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-27 1:25 PM (#56403 - in reply to #56369)

Expert

My appy mare got it the first two years I had her.  My vet said to wash with an iodine shampoo and then coat with diaper rash medicine or a cream made for yeast infections.  It clears up and my mare showed no pain while she had it.  It was just painful for me to see her all scabbed up.

Edited by Terri 2007-02-27 1:29 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 2:35 PM (#56416 - in reply to #56369)

Expert

My last yearling had them for a few weeks, the farrier diagnosed it for me.  Moving him to an inside stall and out of his muddy paddock worked.  I washed his legs with iodine shampoo and a topical fungal liquid for horses(same stuff treats ringworm and rainrot)...I think I found it at a feed/tack store.  It never came back, but I washed his legs after he got muddy from then on.  None of my other horses caught it, even when released into the same muddy paddock.

I have been told that dirty stalls can be a factor in this condition and that Geldings are more prone than Mares because geldings splash pee on their front pasterns.

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 2:48 PM (#56417 - in reply to #56369)

Veteran

Well I went to visit this horse a day earlier than I was suppose to, kinda snuk up on her. I wanted to see the horse before she had a chance to prep him, if ya know what I mean. He is awesome. True registered Medicine Hat Paint. Two blue eyes, just a real looker. He is still a little silly but he is only 4. She rode him and he did a rockying horse kinda buck, but I thought that was exceptable for his age and the fact that she hasn't ridden him for a year, his legs were shaved but no physical scars from the scratches, but now that I know what causes it I understand why he developed them, the boarding stable she is at is a swamp, the barn area is nice and dry and it is a nice place, just wet all over. They have some major drainage issues. She said that they just moved here from Arizona and he never had scratches out there. Anyway, I told her to take her time and make sure this is a decision she can live with (giving her horse away) and call me. By the way she is not preg, like I was told, she just had a baby and is having to come and clean stalls 2X a day at the stables to cut her board fee and so her horse can stay in the barn and not go out into the wet pasture. Her horses are extremely clean and well cared for.

Thanks for all the info and replys

Edited by Monsterhorse 2007-02-27 2:50 PM
Yippee Ki Yo
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-01 1:43 PM (#56576 - in reply to #56369)

A great product to control it is Desiten or just zinc oxide. 
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-03-01 10:04 PM (#56609 - in reply to #56576)

Extreme Veteran

My horse came back from training with scratches... I had never seen them before. I washed his ankles and legs with antibacterial soap, dried them well and applied Tinactin every day for a few weeks and it cleared up. It had spread halfway up his legs, not just on his ankles. Although he liked the warm soapy water, I could tell it hurt when I tried to loosen the scabs so I could apply the Tinactin, which also seemed to hurt. I kept him in a dry stall that winter, and he's not had scratches since.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-02 7:34 AM (#56617 - in reply to #56369)

Expert

I ws told to remove the scabs but like you said, its really painful. I then just put the cream on them and left it alone. They healed anyway. IMO- don't pick at the scabs sinc ethe skin in alrady sore and irriated.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-03-02 2:49 PM (#56628 - in reply to #56369)

Elite Veteran

one more remedy - we had two mares that were prone to this on their white hind legs and they got it in the front area.

Vaseline coated on real thick - yes it will get dirty and be messy, but leave it on for a couple days.  Then wash the area and the scabs will just flow off with the soapy water and the area underneath is nice and pink.  Be sure to keep this area clean and as dry as possible and if it starts to get coated looking - put the vaseline on again.  Just another inexpensive, easy method that worked for us.

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-03-03 7:33 AM (#56657 - in reply to #56369)

We use this product. Fast , easy, and inexpensive.

http://www.belumedx.com/trainers/scratches.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)