'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling Minis and Carts - trying to find an easy solution

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-05 9:35 PM
6 replies, 3414 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-03 10:05 AM (#56664)
Subject: Hauling Minis and Carts - trying to find an easy solution

I am going through a truck / trailer dilemna.  I got rid of my horse trailer a year or more back when I stopped riding.  I kept my truck because we were doing some landscaping projects but that is now done.  We really want to sell the truck because frankly, living in the burbs, we don't have a need for a '92 F250 extra huge diesel if we aren't hauling horses.  It is a great truck, but with the long bed and extended cab it is impossible to park and just gets very little use.  So now my delimna, I want to sell the truck and another vehicle and get something that is more suitable for daily use AND hopefully do the limited amount of light towing that I want to do.  We just have too many vehicles and the truck sitting and only being used a few times a year doesn't make sense.  

I just started driving minis and want to do some lessons and schooling shows.  I am talking about occasional hauling, say up to 2-3 hours, mostly highway.   My mini weighs about 250# and the cart is about 100# to give you an idea - much lighter weight then the draft cross I used to haul!  I am careleasing this mini for this season, as I am still evaluating if I want to drive and show, or if I want to move up to a bigger pony etc. 

I have a chance to buy a well maintained (good deal) 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 4.7L when a friend moves out of the country in a few months.  I read the Mr Truck article on the Grand Cherokee and this vehicle is similiar, but I think has slightly less hp at 230.  Anyway, this one doesn't have the tow package, so i would have to put in a hitch and brake controller.  I assume I would need to get the tranny cooler thing too.  This vehicle is rated to tow around 6,000. 

If I buy a smallish stock trailer - probably around 2,500# empty; plus my mini and cargo (heck maybe even a second mini and cart), I think I would stay at around 4,000 or so loaded trailer weight.  According to the numbers, not a problem but coming from my big horse towing background I look at that SUV and think I am crazy to hook a horse trailer up to it!

Some mini people take enclosed cargo trailers and convert them to horse use (add vents, window, mats etc) because they are lighter.  The newer ones even have torsion suspension.  They are less expensive, but by the time you do the conversion, probably similiar price to a stock trailer.

Whatever I do, I need to be able to fit that cart in.  The shafts may have to stick out the side window or out the back.

I know that some people just toss their minis in their cars... and one of the vehicles I want to sell is a "mini-van" but I am totally uncomfortable with the safety issues around hauling a horse inside a passenger cabin!  I still need to haul the cart anyway!

So, I wonder if someone has good ideas for an option I haven't considered.

thanks!

Sheryl

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-03 5:05 PM (#56670 - in reply to #56664)
Subject: RE: Hauling Minis and Carts - trying to find an easy solution

Elite Veteran

Hi...you may want to join the Yahoo Groups Mini Horse Driving List. They may have some ideas for you. I also have a mini mare, and one day I'll train her to drive. She's an ex-show mare, she's so darn cute.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-03 9:18 PM (#56677 - in reply to #56664)

We use a gooseneck stock trailer (16' box) and put the cart in front of the cut gate with the shafts sticking into the gooseneck area. The mini then goes in beside the cart, cart is tied in. If we are hauling big horses too, then the mini and his cart go in the back with shafts sticking out the back door. When we haul with the lq trailer, the mini goes in the last stall and his cart goes in vertically. That only works because that trailer is 8 and a half wide and 7 and half tall. I used to pull this stock trailer with a F150; have changed to a Dodge 2500 regular cab and love it. Now that I ave gotten used to the gooseneck, don't think I want to pull a bumper pull again. A gooseneck stock trailer is a nice versatile optino.
Mini Oaks
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-04 9:24 PM (#56710 - in reply to #56664)

We had a 2002 Montero Sport SUV with a V-6 (200hp) and pulled a 14' WW Stock Trailer with no problems. Pulled 3 mini's, cart and show supplies in trailer. Cart and show supplies loaded in front of center divider, cart backed in and shafts over the center divider. The 3 mini's loaded side ways in the rear section after we added 2 gates/dividers making 3 separate stalls for them. Gates/dividers lifted out and trailer was used to pull 1200 lb quarter horse. All pulled with vehicle above for over 20,000 miles with no problems.
Sheryl63
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-05 5:17 AM (#56717 - in reply to #56664)

Thanks everyone for the information.  I will pursue the stock trailer idea.  I live in a hilly location so I am very sensitive to having an extra safety factor, but I think I have given enough margin of error. 

Just a clarification to minioaks, you only fit one cart in there, right? 

thanks!

Sheryl

lazyj70
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-05 7:41 AM (#56719 - in reply to #56664)

Calico makes a mini horse trailer with a rack on top to carry your carts.
Mini Oaks
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-05 9:35 PM (#56746 - in reply to #56717)

Yes, we only bring 1 cart to the shows as we only have 1 driving mini. If you pull a bumper pull trailer with a pickup, I've seen them put carts in the bed of the pickup, even seen some do it with a gooseneck if the truck does not have a toolbox.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)