'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
are butt bars or straps always required in trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-28 11:32 PM
6 replies, 5045 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 9:06 PM (#56452)
Subject: are butt bars or straps always required in trailers?

Regular

Hello all,

Just a question about the necessity of butt bars or chains in trailers. My new 3H angle haul has the dividers and tie rings for each but there is no butt bar or strap. Should I add one or is it safe to go without? If the last horse is tied does a strap or bar make that much difference?

Jo

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 10:44 PM (#56457 - in reply to #56452)
Subject: RE: are butt bars or straps always required in trailers?

Expert

Originally written by trailer/truck newbie on 2007-02-27 9:06 PM

Hello all,

Just a question about the necessity of butt bars or chains in trailers. My new 3H angle haul has the dividers and tie rings for each but there is no butt bar or strap. Should I add one or is it safe to go without? If the last horse is tied does a strap or bar make that much difference?

Jo

It might, say if the tie doesn't hold.
Ties SHOULD be breakaway type, something like Velcro, it shouldn't take much to break one.
If a horse breaks a tie and you have no butt bar, guess what COULD happen when you drop the ramp (or just open the rear door if it is a step-up trailer).

I always check over the top of the ramp to see that the butt bars are still in place before opening the ramp. I guess I have a fear that a horse COULD just back out aand I could get trapped under the ramp. It would be a bad day for me.

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 12:44 AM (#56463 - in reply to #56452)

Regular

Thanks Reg, I hadn't really thought of that. Yep, that could certainly end poorly for the horse, human, or both. I guess I will get one added on when I take the trailer in to add on the equalizer hitch. Thanks again!

J

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-28 10:17 AM (#56470 - in reply to #56452)

Expert

I agree that the last horse should have a butt bar in a slant and both in a straight load.  I don't understand why some trailers come with straps and not bars...I have heard the reason but horses will find ways to get hurt if they want.

Having said that not all butt bars are made equally.  They should be easy to lift up and pull out to release them.  They should not bind on any point, as that will cause a greater chance of injury.  It should be smooth and not have any parts that catch tail hair.  Imagine getting out at your destination and having a bald tailhead!  You can improve a butt bar with a thick pad that wraps or slips around the butt bar, giving your horse a soft place to brace if needed.  Your butt bar will need to be about 4"-6" from the back of your trailer, this gives room for the tail and hocks before stopping the horse.  If the bar is not being used it should hang safely out of the way so that horses coming and going are not scraped.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-28 10:38 AM (#56472 - in reply to #56470)

Expert

Here's a "design limitation" that I find with most butt bars, even straps or covered chains. ONE HEIGHT does NOT fit all !!!
Ponies and short horses COULD wriggle under and get stuck.
BTW, I've been told that this is the rationale for straps, that you can cut through it with a utility knife if a horse gets stuck.

I do LIKE the BrenderUp butt bar solution to this, it adjusts to (I think 3) different positions along a path for height and length (chest to butt) of different sized horses. Straps or covered chains allow for some of this by changing the amount of slack, but with too much slack you lose the hock and tail protection of a bar that Huntseat referred to.
trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 9:56 PM (#56529 - in reply to #56452)

Regular

Hello Huntseat & Reg,

Thank you for your comments. Honestly, I had no idea that horse trailers could be so complicated to use and that safety items such as butt bars could actually be omitted or considered optional by the manufacturer. What a huge learning curve this is for me. I certainly don't want a bald tailed horse, or, a horse that gets stuck or tramples me when I open the door. I am going to measure the distance in the back of my trailer tomorrow and then see what I can find for straps or bars at the livestock supply store that I usually find things at. Our 4h group is coming to my house in a convoy on Friday to help me with my first trailering event. My friend who is a trailering expert will likely drive and I will watch and learn.

Thanks again!

J

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-28 11:32 PM (#56533 - in reply to #56529)

Expert

butt bar are a big safty like the others write with out them it could end badly and check your tire balance?? I did and wow they were way off.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)