'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kingston Bedford OR Kiefer Grand Prix....My head is spinning!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-22 3:49 PM
8 replies, 5465 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bosspaige
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-28 1:02 PM (#54604)
Subject: Kingston Bedford OR Kiefer Grand Prix....My head is spinning!!

I have been looking into 2 horse bumper pull trailers for a while and can I just say, my head is spinning.  I have looked at so many different trailers, and it seems like there are pluses and minuses to them all.  So here is what I have it narrowed down to:

A brand New 2005 Kiefer Grand Prix.  I know I have read about the door isssues on these but this has a ramp and the ramp and back doors are actually one of the things I love about this trailer.  They lock so tight and secure and feel very solid.  I like that it has more room up front for storage also.  My concern on this trailer is the resale value on it.  I am thinking I will probably sell my trailer in about 5 years and go with a dressing room and I don't know how well Kiefer's resell.

The other one I am considering is a 2004 Kingston Bedford.  It has been garaged and used a handful of times and is absolutely spotless.  It is a big trailer (12" wider than the Kiefer) yet it weighs about the same.  I like the reputation of Kingstons and have yet to hear someone say anything bad about them, and also the resale value on them is great.  It is smaller in front and the thing I like least about it is the ramp seems very steep and there are no rubber mats on the interior walls.  It is aluminum and I wonder if the horses would kick that (not that my horses are kickers).  There is also 4 small areas in the trailer where there is open plywood.  Would I have to worry about these rotting?

Can anyone give me some advice on which one might be better?  The Kingston would actually work out to be about $750 less than the Kiefer.  I went and compared them today, side-by-side and am more confused than ever!!

Thanks for your help.

Andrea

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-28 4:08 PM (#54609 - in reply to #54604)
Subject: RE: Kingston Bedford OR Kiefer Grand Prix....My head is spinning!!

Expert

if you're looking for the perfect trailer stop right now. Just buy the one that has what you want, less of what you don't want, for what your willing to pay. If the difference is small then I'd go with a new trailer. A steep ramp can cause problems ( personally I don't care for them) My feeling is, when you go to sell a trailer, if its in very good shape and well cared for, they will sell for what its worth. The you have to take into account what kind of trailers are in demand. Who knows what people are going to what 5 yrs from now. So buy what you really want now and don't worry so much about later.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-01-28 5:39 PM (#54616 - in reply to #54604)

Expert

Get the Kingston...and save the $750.00

We've had our Kingston for 8 years...in VERMONT...always outside...and it is just starting to show a little corrosion under the very rear of the trailer...

The nice thing to do for your trailer is to use sprayon bedliner on the front of the trailer to replace the bogus stone guard that they supply...and definitely have the sprayon applied to the top of the ramp where it hits the ground...

rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-01-29 6:52 AM (#54640 - in reply to #54604)

Veteran

Kingstons are supposed to be good trailers.  My comment is only on the plywood- guess it depends where it is. Is it treated? The only problems I had with my 198? Merhow had to do with rotting wood- very annoying and unsightly! If it is in the ramp, plan on repairs.

jmprgirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-20 5:27 PM (#55929 - in reply to #54604)

All wood rots eventually. (especially if you live somewhere wet and muddy) If you are worried about that get an Aluminum or Rumber floor. Otherwise...you can always replace the wood floor boards. Plus, if there is still a wood ramp out there somewhere...my suggestion, don't buy from that company. It should be alum (or steel) with rubber on it!Find a company with good customer service (from the dealer too). That way if you do have any issues, you can get them fixed without a hassle.Stay clear of Bisons - they are always needing to be repaired. Everyone I know has had tons of problems with them.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-21 11:14 AM (#55977 - in reply to #54604)

Elite Veteran

If the plywood is on the walls, the trailer is probably an FRP trailer and avoid it  for the reasons already mentioned and in my observations FRP trailers have very thin walls.  Sometimes the wood is encased in alum or steel and very difficult to replace. 
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-22 1:19 AM (#56035 - in reply to #54604)

Expert

I sent a student to Florida from Texas to by a Keifer that you describe, how's that for resale?

Steep ramps are a no-no!

Replacing the floor is easy, so don't worry about that.

I'd pick the Keifer, but I'd never buy another trailer without a dressing room.  It's like the difference between a single cab truck and an extended cab.  If you can hold out for a dressing room you'll be twice as happy!

jhagerstownr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-22 3:18 PM (#56067 - in reply to #54609)

Please do not buy a Kiefer until you talk to me. I bought one new. It is a lemon and the selling dealer will not make it right and neither will manufacturer. Wheel flew off with horses on the trailer, bent axles I think. They refuse to tell me.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-02-22 3:49 PM (#56069 - in reply to #56067)

Expert

Originally written by jhagerstownr on 2007-02-22 3:18 PM

Please do not buy a Kiefer until you talk to me. I bought one new. It is a lemon and the selling dealer will not make it right and neither will manufacturer. Wheel flew off with horses on the trailer, bent axles I think. They refuse to tell me.

You just said in the other post that Kiefer was going to give you the parts. you can't come on here bashing trailer people on what you think. Are the axles bent or not. You should be able to figure that out with a tape measure and 10 minutes. Then take it to the dealer and tell them what you know, not what you think.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)